Casein Allergy

docall18

I have always drank a lot of milk, it used to be my only source of liquid. In the last few years I have cut back over fears about the health effects.

The last year I have upped dairy again. I started casein powder a couple of months ago. In the two months I have been experiencing extreme bloating, ibs, migrane etc. I realised it was from the casein powder. I use micellar powder from bulk powders.

After googling it seems casein allergy/sensivity is relatively common and can cause a whole host of issues physical and mental ranging from ADHD to bloating and hives. I am prone to hives and bloating and possibly ADHD.

I am now going off all dairy to see if this has been the source of a lot of my past issues.

Mittir

Is it pure casein powder or there are additives in it?
I have seen casein powder with Lecithin, Carrageenan,Guar Gum and many different
color and artificial flavors. These are highly allergenic substance.
Added vitamins in protein powder can be problematic too.
Home made farmer's cheese is a safe source of casein.
If casein was treated at high temperature that can result in
allergens. There are Isolated protein powders that are processed at low temp.

natedawggh

docall18 said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97337/ I have always drank a lot of milk, it used to be my only source of liquid. In the last few years I have cut back over fears about the health effects.

The last year I have upped dairy again. I started casein powder a couple of months ago. In the two months I have been experiencing extreme bloating, ibs, migrane etc. I realised it was from the casein powder. I use micellar powder from bulk powders.

After googling it seems casein allergy/sensivity is relatively common and can cause a whole host of issues physical and mental ranging from ADHD to bloating and hives. I am prone to hives and bloating and possibly ADHD.

I am now going off all dairy to see if this has been the source of a lot of my past issues.

PLEASE READ LABELS. It is not the casein that is giving you the allergy. it is the Soy Lecithin. This is a highly allergenic substance and should be avoided. It is in almost every packaged food made nowadays. The sucralose is also probably making it worse. If you were allergic to casein you would also not be able to consume cheese, as cheese is usually made from casein. Now foods brand is made with sunflower lecithin, which is not as allergenic. Milk will have high tryptophan and probably cause bloating and serotonin issues in people with suppressed metabolisms, but that does't mean you are allergic to it. I avoid milk for this reason (but I use heavy cream in my smoothies).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

docall18

natedawggh said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97444/
docall18 said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97337/ I have always drank a lot of milk, it used to be my only source of liquid. In the last few years I have cut back over fears about the health effects.

PLEASE READ LABELS. It is not the casein that is giving you the allergy. it is the Soy Lecithin. This is a highly allergenic substance and should be avoided. It is in almost every packaged food made nowadays. The sucralose is also probably making it worse. If you were allergic to casein you would also not be able to consume cheese, as cheese is usually made from casein. Now foods brand is made with sunflower lecithin, which is not as allergenic. Milk will have high tryptophan and probably cause bloating and serotonin issues in people with suppressed metabolisms, but that does't mean you are allergic to it. I avoid milk for this reason (but I use heavy cream in my smoothies).

Cheers your right it does have soy lecithin in it. Hopefully that is the reason for it.

LucH

docall18 said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97337/ After googling it seems casein allergy/sensivity is relatively common and can cause a whole host of issues physical and mental ranging from ADHD to bloating and hives. I am prone to hives and bloating and possibly ADHD.

There is often a cross-reaction between casein and gluten. The sequence peptides is very similar and lures the brain and the immune system.
I would stop all dairies one month long . Then reintroduce cottage cheese or similar (except if you want to lower your sodium intake) and see what happens ...
http://www.livestrong.com/article/24718 ... ion-facts/
Other dairies not too often unless you want an insulin pike (yoghurt - fermented cheese). one glass milk, full fat, is OK. Most of these fats are Saturated FA. OK.
Raw butter is OK (CLA, etc.).
:hattip
LucH

PS: If your digestion is weak (bloating), you lacks probably lactase, as 60 % people. Logical.
A supplement enzyme with lactase will enable you to digest lactose (milk sugar).

tara

I have heard, but not verified, that people diagnosed with coeliac disease often do better if they avoid milk for ~3 months along with strictly avoiding gluten. Then once the gut has had a chance to heal, many of them can reintroduce milk successfully as long as they continue to strictly avoid gluten.

Could this be because the damage done to the intestine by gluten allows incompletely digested dairy proteins to get through into the blood stream (and potentially also though the blood-brain barrier)?

tara

jyb said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97341/ You may want to have a look at the following, as a potential warning about casein if you don't have a good stomach. Note that some cheeses and other fermented dairy products (not all) may have low or zero casein content.
Do you know which cheeses have a lot of the casein broken down?

jyb said:

I note Peter is suspicious of dehydration and pasteurisation rendering the protein harder to break down, and maybe more likely to mess with gut barrier. I think I have more trouble with powdered milk than fresh.

I have heard, but not verified, that people diagnosed with coeliac disease often do better if they avoid milk for ~3 months along with strictly avoiding gluten. Then once the gut has had a chance to heal, many of them can reintroduce milk successfully as long as they continue to strictly avoid gluten.
Does anybody have experience of ditching gluten and tolerating dairy better after that?

tara

Does anybody have experience of ditching gluten and tolerating dairy better after that?
I've heard personal reports from two people (one direct, one from a parent) who had been diagnosed with coeliac disease that this worked for them. After 3 mth of strict gluten and dairy avoidance, they managed to reintroduce dairy. I don't know whether they introduced it gradually, or how much they were having after that.

I've heard personal reports from two people (one direct, one from a parent) who had been diagnosed with coeliac disease that this worked for them. After 3 mth of strict gluten and dairy avoidance, they managed to reintroduce dairy. I don't know whether they introduced it gradually, or how much they were having after that.
I have been gluten free for 2 days and i already tolerate milk a lot better. :smiley: Used to get horrible stomach pain and constipation from it.
Weirdly the only dairy i have tolerated while eating gluten is cheese.
My mood and energy levels are a lot better without gluten too.
:cheers (<- gluten free beer)

Amazoniac

Some time ago there were members ridicularizing starch for being used now by the (bio)plastic industry. Then I pointed out that the same thing can be done with casein, it's essentially making cheese from skimmed milk. One structure is composed of indigestible carbs; and the other, tough proteids. Protein that (for whatever reason) escapes digestion is way worse than carbs.

Some types of processing are milder than others. String cheese looks very similar to bread during preparation, it's a glued coagulated mass. There are similarities in their effects on digestion as well. The first suspects on nutritionists' lists are grains and dairy; for good reason. Maybe if I had it easier with dairy I would be more doubtful about these(((

peter88

What do you mean "digest casein"? ... it is just a food , like any other food.
Maybe lactose intolerance?
Yeah, a protein that I’m “allergic” to. Stomach cramps, constipation, pale stools, bleeding and painful butt. Lactose isn’t a problem for me. Cheese is the absolute worst.

Apple

Yeah, a protein that I’m “allergic” to. Stomach cramps, constipation, pale stools, bleeding and painful butt. Lactose isn’t a problem for me. Cheese is the absolute worst.
I think in most cases it is just wrong bacteria.
Try it with lots of (must be concentrated to create osmosis) sugar or with some other antibacterials