School Me On This Amino Acid Profile

Curt :-)

So I've been using this whey product for a couple of weeks now and I'm pretty sure it's magical. It's a blend of whey isolate and micellar casein. Mg per serve;
Glutamine: 7240
Aspartic acid: 4140
Leucine: 4140
Lysine: 3700
Proline: 2860
Threonine: 2620
Isoleucine: 2600
Valine: 2460
Alanine: 1860
Serine: 1840
Phenylalanine: 1400
Tyrosine: 1400
Aginine: 900
Methionine: 860
Cysteine: 800
Histidine: 760
Glycine:680
Tryptophan: 640
My question is do I need to be concerned with the small amount of tryptophan in this product? There is way more leucine, isoleucine and valine (BCAA's) than tryptophan, doesn't this block absorption? If I'm concerned with serotonin, should I be taking BCAA's with this product?

Thanks in advance you sexy kids x

haidut

Forum Supporter
Curt :-) said:
So I've been using this whey product for a couple of weeks now and I'm pretty sure it's magical. It's a blend of whey isolate and micellar casein. Mg per serve;
My question is do I need to be concerned with the small amount of tryptophan in this product? There is way more leucine, isoleucine and valine (BCAA's) than tryptophan, doesn't this block absorption? If I'm concerned with serotonin, should I be taking BCAA's with this product?

Based on the information you provided, one serving has about 35g of protein. Of those 35g, 640mg are tryptophan and that is not low. It's not too high either, since I have seen casein protein isolate with 2g of tryptophan in 35g of protein. However, beef and most other red meats would have less than 300mg of tryptohan in 35g of protein. Goat and camel milk have about 300mg per 35g as well. So, if it affects you well then I'd keep taking it. The BCAA will probably block the Try but there are proteins online that have about half of amount of Tryptophan compared to yours.
Just my 2c.

OP
C

Curt :-)

Thanks for the response man. I've been taking it with about 3 to 4 g of BCAAs, which seems to make me feel pretty good.

dukez07

haidut said:
Curt :-) said:

Based on the information you provided, one serving has about 35g of protein. Of those 35g, 640mg are tryptophan and that is not low. It's not too high either, since I have seen casein protein isolate with 2g of tryptophan in 35g of protein. However, beef and most other red meats would have less than 300mg of tryptohan in 35g of protein. Goat and camel milk have about 300mg per 35g as well. So, if it affects you well then I'd keep taking it. The BCAA will probably block the Try but there are proteins online that have about half of amount of Tryptophan compared to yours.
Just my 2c.

Hey, I don't suppose you could share what those low trypto protein powders are? I'd be very interested.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Here is the one I got:
http://www.truenutrition.com/p-1075-bee ... e-1lb.aspx?

If you click on the "Nutrition Info" tab you will see that it has only 300mg of Tryptophan in 100g of protein! I have not been able to find any other protein that comes even close to that. Most other proteins will have 1500mg+ of Tryptophan per 100g of protein.
Btw, I am not endorsing or recommending that protein above, just sharing my experience and what I found:):

Philomath

haidut said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/40267/ Here is the one I got:

If you click on the "Nutrition Info" tab you will see that it has only 300mg of Tryptophan in 100g of protein! I have not been able to find any other protein that comes even close to that. Most other proteins will have 1500mg+ of Tryptophan per 100g of protein.
Btw, I am not endorsing or recommending that protein above, just sharing my experience and what I found:):

Can you take a look at this and let me know if it compares favorably to the Truenutrition powder? It's only .02 cents more expensive but I can get it from Amazon which is beneficial for me. It's much higher in sodium but still seems to have a lower amount of tryptophan. About .6grams tryp. per 30 grams protein. (Roughly 700mg per 100 grams if my math and conversions are correct.). Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

haidut

Forum Supporter
Philomath said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96735/
haidut said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/40267/ Here is the one I got:

Can you take a look at this and let me know if it compares favorably to the Truenutrition powder? It's only .02 cents more expensive but I can get it from Amazon which is beneficial for me. It's much higher in sodium but still seems to have a lower amount of tryptophan. About .6grams tryp. per 30 grams protein. (Roughly 700mg per 100 grams if my math and conversions are correct.). Thanks

It says there are 200mg tryptophan per 25g of protein serving, so 100g of protein will have about 800mg tryptophan. Not bad at all compared to meats and milk.

sm1693

Beef protein isolate is basically a form of unpurified gelatin. It is a very poor product in my opinion.

Philomath

haidut said:
Here is the one I got:

Haidut, I remember from another post you use a combination of whey and casein proteins. What do you buy from Truenutrition? Is it their blend or do you buy seperate products and combine them yourself?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Philomath said:
post 110492
haidut said:
Here is the one I got:

Haidut, I remember from another post you use a combination of whey and casein proteins. What do you buy from Truenutrition? Is it their blend or do you buy seperate products and combine them yourself?

I was buying separate casein an whey products and then realized that "Greek" yogurt is almost 100% casein and switched to that instead.

Swan

sm1693 said:
post 96740
Beef protein isolate is basically a form of unpurified gelatin. It is a very poor product in my opinion.

So you think this is a poor product because of potential impurities or because it is an isolate? Truenutrition has top notch products.

sm1693

Swan said:
post 110876
sm1693 said:
post 96740

So you think this is a poor product because of potential impurities or because it is an isolate? Truenutrition has top notch products.
Years ago when I bought it, they included soy lecithin as an ingredient. And beyond that, do a cursory net search into what beef protein isolate actually is, and then decide for yourself. The companies make the information difficult to obtain and some assumptions are necessary.

Whoever recommended it as a product for peatarians should probably go back to those old threads and revise their opinion of it.

Philomath

sm1693,
Can you post links that verify your claim that beef protein isolate is "unpurified". It sounds to me like the manufacturing process is similar to that of gelatin. If that's the case, it's subject to the same quality control standards. It does contain lecithin, but even Dr. Peat says those amounts are not dangerous (his claim was in reference to the lecithin in chocolate).

-Here is a link from True Health that explains the process:
The Beef Protein Isolate is unlike any other protein powder on the market. Beef flesh is first boiled down in huge vats to produce a nutrient-enriched liquid containing incredibly high amounts of each of the essential and branched chain amino acids. This liquid form is then skimmed to have all fat and carbohydrate content removed, leaving a protein concentration of over 90% aminos left in the remaining material. From here, the liquid beef aminos undergo a spray-drying process that includes the application of canola oil lecithin (rather than soy lecithin) in order to create the finished powder product.

Beef Protein Isolate has an amino acid profile that is easily comparable to any standard whey protein on the market. It is naturally high in the amino acids alanine, arginine, glutamic acid, glycine, and proline, and serves as a significant source of leucine, isoleucine, and valine, as well. A single standard serving of 30 grams will contain an astounding 29.5 grams of protein, with zero carbs and less than 1 gram of fat. This gives the Beef Protein Isolate one of the highest concentrations of functional protein out of any of the materials that are currently available on the market.

This makes me believe gelatin has lecithin in it too, but it doesn't make me believe BPI is un-purified or a terrible product.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom