Lunula / Thyroid Function/ General Health

Wilfrid

Hi everyone,

I just want to know how many of us here have their lunulas on all of their fingertips?
I read the work of a french doctor named Paul Carton who used to treat very ill patients from tuberculosis and he noted that those who were very ill had almost none of their lunulas and when they recovered their lunulas were progressively coming back....
So it remains me when I was very ill from my crohn's I had almost no lunulas.
We can read on the net (but I still skeptical...) that absence, or missing lunulas, could also means thyroid hypofunction.....what do you think?
I looked at my mom's hand (she had cancer last year) and my wife's father (who is also very sick)
and they, both, have no lunulas....
Any guess?

jaguar43

Wilfrid said:
Hi everyone,

I just want to know how many of us here have their lunulas on all of their fingertips?
I read the work of a french doctor named Paul Carton who used to treat very ill patients from tuberculosis and he noted that those who were very ill had almost none of their lunulas and when they recovered their lunulas were progressively coming back....
So it remains me when I was very ill from my crohn's I had almost no lunulas.
We can read on the net (but I still skeptical...) that absence, or missing lunulas, could also means thyroid hypofunction.....what do you think?
I looked at my mom's hand (she had cancer last year) and my wife's father (who is also very sick)
and they, both, have no lunulas....
Any guess?

It seems interesting, I have all my lunula on my fingertips but I am also fairly young.

http://raypeat.com/articles/nutrition/carrageenan.shtml

this article ray peat talks about crohns and cites some studies that may be helpful.

Crohns could be due to intestinal stress and possible liver damage. This could affect the absorption of nutrients and other minerals thus limited the growth of lunula. If the liver is stressed it wont convert t4 in t3. so if could be a thyroid problem.

Beebop

Wow, lunulae = fingernail moons, how poetic. New word for me - thanks!

Stilgar

I have them on both thumbs, little hints of them on a couple of my right hand fingers - but barely visible, and none on my left hand. I never noticed them leaving, and assumed they were always that way. My mum has none either, so she always said it was probably genetic. I'm 24.

Hypothyroidism seems a plausible explanation.

jyb

Mine are not visible. Only exception is a very very small portion on my left thumb. But I already knew from my temps that I'm hypothyroid.

onioneyedox

I know they do change. Usually on the summer i get visible ones on my ring fingers and larger on others.

I heard one oregano oil seller say it makes them come back, as it kills candida and cures hypo (the north-american herb and spice guy). Is did seem to do so on me though nothing else improved.

I have been vaguely noting this after I first heard about it few years back. Generally, absolutely non-conclusively, I'd say some really healthy people seem to have really clear and visible lunulas. I don't mean every healthy person has large lunulas, but sicker people usually seem to have smaller, less vibrant and not so clearly defined lunulas.

Inside my family it seems to correlate with better health /body temps.

I'd say it is change in lunula sizes that can be used for indicator for something.

jaa

I have them on my thumbs but not my fingers. I used to have them on my fingers when I was in poorer health. My nails were brittle and pitted, and the skin around the lunas was weak and cracked.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
onioneyedox said:
I know they do change. Usually on the summer i get visible ones on my ring fingers and larger on others.

Summer is when metabolism will probably be the highest.

4peatssake

IIRC, I had all of them when I was a kid.
Now, just on my thumbs and the middle finger of my left hand.
Interesting.

Poppyseed13

Lunulas! Lunulas! I had heard about the relationship between thyroid function and lunulas for years. So last year when I began taking Thiroyd I thought I would chart my lunulas-- sketched each hand on paper and measured my lunulas.... then documented them throughout the year ....

I had no lunulas except on my thumbs when starting Thiroyd. As the year progressed, I gradually began noticing the lunulas "growing" ... more on my right hand than my left, but after a year on Thiroyd, I have lunulas on all fingers... and my toes too!

Is it significant? I don't know. But the growth of the lunulas did correspond to taking Thiroyd.

Cheers,
Poppyseed13

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:thumbup: Is that YOUR Lunula Charlie? My what a fine specimen.

I have all my lunulas, but my left pinky is a minimoon, barely there.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
lol no I used a model for that pic. :mrgreen:

Just look at your damn fingers narouz :pray :ss

narouz

Oh, I see
...you mean like the light half-moon things
where your fingernail emerges from your skin...?

Yes. At least we hope they are there!

narouz

[url=http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1273:1p94pxi8]Such_Saturation[/url] said:

Yeah, I have them on all fingers...smallest on my little fingers.
It's interesting...
my thyroid function has been better the last couple of months
because I've been able to dose up my NDT without getting palpitations.

Back sometime in the last year
when I couldn't take enough thyroid
I remember looking at what I now know are my lunulae
and thinking:
damn, I gotta push my cuticles back! I can't see those little light areas hardly!
(somewhere in my youth I was taught one should push the cuticle back from time to time...
anybody else taught that?)

Last edited by a moderator: