Nail Ridges Disappearing & Nail & Hair Growth Slowed After Magnesium Bicarbonate

natedawggh

Okay so this seems like a good thing... I'm hoping that it is.

I started taking magnesium bicarbonate via this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-op01XEQp6Q
(warning, do not drink straight up bottle if you make this. it will displace potassium and sodium in your body too greatly and you could get a hospital visit).

Since doing this (about 3 weeks?) I suddenly noticed that the rate of growth of my hair and fingernails has dramatically slowed. I have a short buzz cut and I usually have to buzz it every 5 days or it looks bushy. I haven't cut it for almost two weeks now and it's almost exactly the same length. Even when I would go to a barber they would remark about how quickly my hair would grow...as if this was not something they usually encountered.

The same thing has been happening with my nails, which are only exactly as short as they were when I cut them two weeks ago (I usually cut them every three weeks, but they haven't grown this time).

Even more strange is that the longitudinal ridges on my fingernails, which were extremely pronounced and sharp, have totally softened and my nails have taken on a nearly smooth look. This is double strange considering that I thought the nail would have had to grow out in order to change appearance!

My thoughts are that the magnesium bicarbonate is fixing things, and that my nail and hair growth was too fast previously, and is probably now going at a more appropriate rate. I'm hoping this translates into a reduction of the gray, but that hasn't happened yet.

(BTW, the magnesium bicarbonate has NO laxative effect. It's really brilliant)

narouz

natedawggh said:
Okay so this seems like a good thing... I'm hoping that it is.

I started taking magnesium bicarbonate via this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-op01XEQp6Q
(warning, do not drink straight up bottle if you make this. it will displace potassium and sodium in your body too greatly and you could get a hospital visit).

Since doing this (about 3 weeks?) I suddenly noticed that the rate of growth of my hair and fingernails has dramatically slowed. I have a short buzz cut and I usually have to buzz it every 5 days or it looks bushy. I haven't cut it for almost two weeks now and it's almost exactly the same length. Even when I would go to a barber they would remark about how quickly my hair would grow...as if this was not something they usually encountered.

The same thing has been happening with my nails, which are only exactly as short as they were when I cut them two weeks ago (I usually cut them every three weeks, but they haven't grown this time).

Even more strange is that the longitudinal ridges on my fingernails, which were extremely pronounced and sharp, have totally softened and my nails have taken on a nearly smooth look. This is double strange considering that I thought the nail would have had to grow out in order to change appearance!

My thoughts are that the magnesium bicarbonate is fixing things, and that my nail and hair growth was too fast previously, and is probably now going at a more appropriate rate. I'm hoping this translates into a reduction of the gray, but that hasn't happened yet.

(BTW, the magnesium bicarbonate has NO laxative effect. It's really brilliant)

Cool, nate!
I've been taking haidut's secret recipe: magnesium + P5P + pregnenolone.
And it seems to be doing good things.

Giraffe

natedawggh said:
Is the effect the same on all nails? Or do some nails look better than others?

natedawggh said:
Pleeeaaase, let us know if you find a recipe to reverse gray hair. :)

Giraffe

Today I listened to the Ray Peat interview "Protection and Restauration of the Nervous System" from 2005.

He is talking about the ability of cells to retain ions passively without expending energy to do that:

You can take hair ... and dip it into a blood serum and it will take up magnesium and potassium just like a living cell. And people are still talking about membrane pumps...
I wonder if this is part of the explanation for the smoothed nails.

tara

I have to cut my nails at least once a fortnight. I have had the longitudinal ridges as long as I can remember. I have made the Mg bicarb water, and used a little for a while, but neglected it the last few weeks. Didn't notice any difference in nails. [edit to add:]Maybe more would be better.

Nicholas

weird! this totally relates to an experience i've been having but didn't dwell too much on what was happening. For the past few weeks, i've been taking epsom baths (magnesium sulfate) and noticed that my toenails are getting really smooth and shiny. My fingernails aren't as polished looking, but the ridges seem less defined. my toenails still have ridges but they also look like they are in the process of rebuilding or something (developing new growth on top like skin). haven't noticed hair growth stall, though.

4peatssake

narouz said:
Cool, nate!
Can you please say more about this "secret recipe" or link to it.
Do you combine the three in some special way or take all 3 separately?
What form of mag?

mujuro

Nicholas said:
weird! this totally relates to an experience i've been having but didn't dwell too much on what was happening. For the past few weeks, i've been taking epsom baths (magnesium sulfate) and noticed that my toenails are getting really smooth and shiny. My fingernails aren't as polished looking, but the ridges seem less defined. my toenails still have ridges but they also look like they are in the process of rebuilding or something (developing new growth on top like skin). haven't noticed hair growth stall, though.

Toenails grow about 1/3 the rate fingernails do (from memory). When I was heavy into Peating and getting most of my calories from sugar (about 300g daily), I developed deep Beau's lines in 3 or 4 toe nails, and a few more minor ones in my fingernails. My hair also thinned, receded a bit, my skin was shocking. I stopped most of the Peat diet in January and the lines slowly grew out, hair thickened, skin improved.

tara

mujuro said:
Toenails grow about 1/3 the rate fingernails do (from memory). When I was heavy into Peating and getting most of my calories from sugar (about 300g daily), I developed deep Beau's lines in 3 or 4 toe nails, and a few more minor ones in my fingernails. My hair also thinned, receded a bit, my skin was shocking. I stopped most of the Peat diet in January and the lines slowly grew out, hair thickened, skin improved.

Do you want to mention what version of a Peat diet you were eating, and what you changed to when you stopped doing that? Do you mean 300g of refined sucrose, or 300g sugar from fruit, milk etc that contains other nuttrients too?

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Giraffe said:
Today I listened to the Ray Peat interview "Protection and Restauration of the Nervous System" from 2005.

He is talking about the ability of cells to retain ions passively without expending energy to do that:

You can take hair ... and dip it into a blood serum and it will take up magnesium and potassium just like a living cell. And people are still talking about membrane pumps...
I wonder if this is part of the explanation for the smoothed nails.

That totally explains it, thanks Giraffe. I hadn't heard that quote before it's very helpful. Conversely, I think it's notable to look at the same phenomenon in the reverse, with chlorine and chloramide in shower water. Since I put my filter on my hair and skin have improved greatly... it could also be the benefit from not having my nails and skin exposed to those halides on a daily basis.

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Giraffe said:
natedawggh said:
Is the effect the same on all nails? Or do some nails look better than others?

natedawggh said:
Pleeeaaase, let us know if you find a recipe to reverse gray hair. :)

Some nails look better than others. Specially the ones that already looked better than others, but all of them are improved.

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

tara said:
I have to cut my nails at least once a fortnight. I have had the longitudinal ridges as long as I can remember. I have made the Mg bicarb water, and used a little for a while, but neglected it the last few weeks. Didn't notice any difference in nails. [edit to add:]Maybe more would be better.

Tara,

I also think it could be due to the shower filter I installed a month ago. It is a vitamin C filter and it reacts to the halides in the water (chlorine and chloramide) which otherwise would react with trace minerals in your skin/hair/nails. It eliminated the dry and itchy skin I would have after a shower, and my hair would often feel thick and weighted and coarse. Everything is now always smooth and soft and glowing. You can get one on amazon for $55 and it comes with three cartridges and seems to be lasting for a while (and I take long showers).

But I am definitely experience weight loss and muscle increase from the Mag. Bicarbonate too. I found that I could drink more of it as I got used to it, and it seems to have an immediate impact on the small spider veins in my feet and the varicocele that I have suffered from, which are both almost totally healed.

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

4peatssake said:
narouz said:
Cool, nate!
Can you please say more about this "secret recipe" or link to it.
Do you combine the three in some special way or take all 3 separately?
What form of mag?

What is P5P? I also take pregnenolone, once a week, and I gain about 2 lbs of muscle every time. My pecs have gotten really pretty big (and lost some waist fat too), and I haven't been to the gym in over a month. It's gotten to the point where I have started getting a lot of romantic attention, randomly, both from people I already know or people I meet. It's sorta thrown me because I've been used to not getting ANY over the last few years. :) Definitely attribute it to the Pregnenolone and Magnesium.

tara

natedawggh said:
Tara,

I also think it could be due to the shower filter I installed a month ago. It is a vitamin C filter and it reacts to the halides in the water (chlorine and chloramide) which otherwise would react with trace minerals in your skin/hair/nails. It eliminated the dry and itchy skin I would have after a shower, and my hair would often feel thick and weighted and coarse. Everything is now always smooth and soft and glowing. You can get one on amazon for $55 and it comes with three cartridges and seems to be lasting for a while (and I take long showers).

But I am definitely experience weight loss and muscle increase from the Mag. Bicarbonate too. I found that I could drink more of it as I got used to it, and it seems to have an immediate impact on the small spider veins in my feet and the varicocele that I have suffered from, which are both almost totally healed.
Ta.
I'm lucky - I've had clean tap water most of my life, with a touch of calcium carbonate, no chlorine in tap water. Used to swim in chlorine, but hardly in recent years. I might try drinking a bit more of the Mg bicarb.

mujuro

tara said:
mujuro said:

Do you want to mention what version of a Peat diet you were eating, and what you changed to when you stopped doing that? Do you mean 300g of refined sucrose, or 300g sugar from fruit, milk etc that contains other nuttrients too?

My carbohydrates were mostly refined apple juice, orange juice, milk and white potato. In all likelihood it probably wasn't the Peat diet alone. I had unrestrained cortisol elevations due to my illness. All of my symptoms suggested I was missing in nutrients or my thyroid was dysfunctional -- either too high or too low, but despite my effort to shovel the minerals and vitamins in, nothing was changing. I can't put it down to the physiology, but I believe the high cortisol somehow synergizes with the extremely high sugar intake in a malign way. Because I've gone high in sugar before. During 2009/2010, my "pudgy" years when I first began serious weight training I was eating lots of icecream, milk and refined carbs but experienced no negative consequences other than kgs on the scale.

Like I said, I stopped the Peat dieting in January, started taking my meds, and all of those issues have reversed. I have regular OJ and potato and milk now, in lesser quantities, with no issue.

Milky

Can anyone think of any issues with mixing a few tablespoons of the concentrated Mg/bicarb water in with other drinks (coffee, tea, juice, milk, etc) instead of diluting 1/3 liter of concentrate with 3 2/3 liters of distilled water at a time and drinking a pint or two a day? I'd rather just add it to the liquid I already drink.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals