Methylene Blue (MB) Mimics Thyroid - Boosts T4 , Lowers TSH

haidut

Forum Supporter
These studies show that MB increased the levels of T4 in the blood, and lowered TSH. This may explain some of the beneficial effects of MB on hypothyroid people.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8624735
"...Surprisingly, blood thyroxine levels increased consistently in rats after MB treatment. An interaction of MB with thyroid hormone synthesis and/or actions thus should be evaluated. This idea is supported by our observation of an antagonistic action of MB in carbimazole-induced rise in thyroid weight and decrease in thyroxine blood levels. (Ref. 14.)."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8218149
"...On the other hand, the prolactin (PRL) increase in the blood after estradiol was inhibited by MB, although the prolactin content in the anterior pituitary was not. Methylene blue alone did not change blood prolactin concentration, but it unexpectedly elevated blood thyroxine levels and this effect was partially inhibited by simultaneous estradiol treatment."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8711376
"...MB produced a decrease in adenohypophyseal ascorbic acid content. The blood thyroxine levels increased and the anterior pituitary TSH concentration decreased after MB treatment."

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:bump

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
pboy said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/80979/ indeed, I wonder how its working...via what method

I posted a few other threads showing MB opposes estrogen and inhibits pituitary function. Ray said that pituitary and thyroid are opposites of each other, when one is overactive it will inhibits the other. So, suppressed pituitary and lower estrogen usually mean better thyroid function.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
How do you reach the conclusion it mimics thyroid from those studies ?

It lowered TSH, increased T4, lowers estrogen and prolactin and acted like dopamine. There are studies I posted for each of these effects. Aren't these thyroid-like effects, especially the first two?

Last edited:
...and acted like dopamine. There are studies I posted for each of these effects.

Thanks a lot Haidut, now, Sci-hub doesn't seem to have the 3 full studies so I would like to know what is the HED for this dopaminergic effect.

Mauritio

Thanks a lot Haidut, now, Sci-hub doesn't seem to have the 3 full studies so I would like to know what is the HED for this dopaminergic effect.
I didn't know about the dopaminergic effects of mb. But it kind of makes sense , imo mb feels a lot like low dose LSD ,which is very dopaminergic .

I didn't know about the dopaminergic effects of mb. But it kind of makes sense , imo mb feels a lot like low dose LSD ,which is very dopaminergic .

If you have tried cyproheptadine, how would MB (>200mcg daily) compare?

Mauritio

If you have tried cyproheptadine, how would MB (>200mcg daily) compare?
Oh very different. MB is very stimulating imo , cypro completely lacks that, its much more calming .
Both are anti stress though.

Oh very different. MB is very stimulating imo , cypro completely lacks that, its much more calming .
Both are anti stress though.

Thanks, when you compare it to low dose LSD, do you also mean on 200mcg-600mcg or >1mg doses?

Mauritio

Yes , if you mean MB .

NewACC

These studies show that MB increased the levels of T4 in the blood, and lowered TSH. This may explain some of the beneficial effects of MB on hypothyroid people.

[Methylene blue as an endocrine modulator: interactions with thyroid hormones] - PubMed
"...Surprisingly, blood thyroxine levels increased consistently in rats after MB treatment. An interaction of MB with thyroid hormone synthesis and/or actions thus should be evaluated. This idea is supported by our observation of an antagonistic action of MB in carbimazole-induced rise in thyroid weight and decrease in thyroxine blood levels. (Ref. 14.)."

Anterior pituitary weight, cAMP, cGMP and prolactin levels after combined treatment with estradiol and methylene blue - PubMed
"...On the other hand, the prolactin (PRL) increase in the blood after estradiol was inhibited by MB, although the prolactin content in the anterior pituitary was not. Methylene blue alone did not change blood prolactin concentration, but it unexpectedly elevated blood thyroxine levels and this effect was partially inhibited by simultaneous estradiol treatment."

Methylene blue--an endocrine modulator - PubMed
"...MB produced a decrease in adenohypophyseal ascorbic acid content. The blood thyroxine levels increased and the anterior pituitary TSH concentration decreased after MB treatment."
@haidut , how would you compare the effects of selegiline and methylene blue which would you prefer and why?