Coconut Oil, And It's Effects, When Added To High Carb Diet

dukez07

With coconut oil, is more better? Peat says that carbs are the optimum fuel, but can I add coconut oil in liberal amounts, if it purportedly has the same metabolic enhancing effects?

I was thinking about adding 2 tablespoons to the 2 quarts of milk I drink each day.

Would the same apply for butter, or lard? Can they be added liberally, without detrimental effects? As long as your carbs and protein, are sufficient? Or would you run into problems, even by adding a fat that is saturated and stable (such as lard)? Fat definitely causes me to become more sluggish. But, it's energy is also more stable, in my case.

Not sure how coconut oil compares to other fats. Is it metabolized differently?

natedawggh

Re: Coconut oil, and it's effects, when added to high carb d

Liberal! Yes... It has metabolic enhancing effects but by a different mechanism than carbs. More is good, although you won't like it in your milk. When it's below 72 degrees coconut oil solidifies, so if you put it in even room temperature milk it will turn into tiny solid little bits. It's great to use in coffee or tea, however, or warm milk with a little sugar. And definitely cook with it!

Butter is good for you but no, not in the way coconut oil is. Coconut oil won't make you gain weight but butter will (though you should still have lots of butter). Lard depends on the source, nowadays is more likely full of polyunsaturated fat from soy and corn diets of the animals and probably should be avoided, unless you can confirm the source. Definitely don't be afraid of coconut oil.

superhuman

have anyone tried eating coconut oil as their main or almost only fat source? could you get away with alot more did you loose weight?

Say a diet of skimmed milk, low fat cottage cheese and fruit, honey and simple sugars. Could one get away with eating alot of sugar and also a good amount of fat coming from coconut oil?

isnt the fat from coconut oil gonna be stored easier as fat then excess carbs?

OP
D

dukez07

superhuman said:
have anyone tried eating coconut oil as their main or almost only fat source? could you get away with alot more did you loose weight?

Say a diet of skimmed milk, low fat cottage cheese and fruit, honey and simple sugars. Could one get away with eating alot of sugar and also a good amount of fat coming from coconut oil?

Well, this ties in with my OP. I was wondering the same thing. Is coconut oil processed by the body differently, than say, butter. I would say that it almost certainly is. In RP's coconut oil article, he talks about how farmers gave up feeding their pigs coconut oil because it made them super lean. Polyunsaturated acids, fattened them up - producing more bang for their buck.

There are also reports of coconut oil being a saviour for patients who have Alzheimer's. It's definitely doing something to energy.

Dutchie

dukez07 said:
superhuman said:

Well, this ties in with my OP. I was wondering the same thing. Is coconut oil processed by the body differently, than say, butter. I would say that it almost certainly is. In RP's coconut oil article, he talks about how farmers gave up feeding their pigs coconut oil because it made them super lean. Polyunsaturated acids, fattened them up - producing more bang for their buck.

There are also reports of coconut oil being a saviour for patients who have Alzheimer's. It's definitely doing something to energy.

It's probably because it's high in MCT's,whereas butter is made up of mostly LCFA's.....which makes me think that goatdairy is more unlikely to be stored as fat than cowdairy/butter since it's higher in SCFA's and compositionwise the same as breastmilk.

superhuman said:

I am gonna try this as an experiment....I track everything obsessively, will post results in a couple of weeks.

jaywills

how did you get on in your experiment thebigpeatowski?

Hi jaywills...I had some major gut issues (chronic diarrhea, sorry TMI) that I had to get cleared up before I could start this experiment. I have since accomplished that goal and will be embarking on this experiment some time in the near future....will update when I start.

pboy

I don't eat much coconut oil right now, because im afraid im allergic...ive had reactions before, but in the past, when I was first experiementing as a vegan, I cooked 2-4 meals a day, and coconut oil, even coconut butter, was my main fat used. I was losing weight, not even on purpose, but it might have also been to do with the vegan diet in general. I was eating a lot, like 2-4 tbsp. a day, sometimes more. The worst thing coconut oil can do is give you mad cramps and the runs, but it wont make you gain weight. Its less efficient than carbohydrates, but since it works in a different pathway, it doesn't burden sugar usage...so its basically an enhancement. It could help you lose weight if you have been calorie restricting or undereating and drinking too much water, but it usually alone doesn't help lose weight in the average person...but the big thing is, it doesn't add any. So it can be an adjunct to any plan, and can enhance speed of recovery.

Probably a few weeks or months from now im gonna get back into it and expiriement with it again, but for now its too volatile a variable and im working on mastering other things

This is what I remember noting about it...I used no more than a tbsp. at once, and usually always cooked with it. As long as that meal digests, then you can have another tbsp. (or a little under) a few hours later. Its only a problem, the gas and cramping, if eaten raw or too much too fast...and some low quality coconut oils (usually the whole coconut actually, the butter) can cause reaction regardless. But yea...use about 1/2 to 1 tbsp. at a time, better with the carbs or around the same time, and wait until that digests and youll be fine to have more if you want later. It wont cause weight gain

Suikerbuik

I have bad experiences with coconut oil as well. If I eat fair amounts of coconut oil my liver stresses easily. I do occasionaly eat it though, but I feel no benefit from it. It's just safe cooking oil. I only use

Regulation of Tight Junction Permeability by Intestinal Bacteria and Dietary Components
[/i]Other dietary components such as fatty acids, polysaccharides, and flavonoids are also known to alter TJ. The mediumchain fatty acids capric acid and lauric acid increase paracellular flux and cause a rapid decrease in TEER in Caco-2 cells (93). DHA, g-linolenic acid, and EPA have also been shown to decrease TEER and increase paracellular permeability of luorescein sulfonic acid in a concentration-dependent manner (94,95).[/b][/i]

What the effect is for a healthy intestinal barrier and in a living system? I don't know, but my experience only confirms this for me. So for those not understanding coconut oil may possible induce mild endotoxemia.
Likely the fibers in whole coconut prevent this, but for most whole coconut is highly allergenic, especially when your mucousal lining is damaged the fibers do more harm than good.

forterpride

thebigpeatowski said:
post 52607 Hi jaywills...I had some major gut issues (chronic diarrhea, sorry TMI) that I had to get cleared up before I could start this experiment. I have since accomplished that goal and will be embarking on this experiment some time in the near future....will update when I start.

So did you ever try coconut oil as your only fat source? After reading Haidut's thread on 30 day pufa depletion...im going to subsist off of just fat free milk, oj, coffee, liver and oysters with my only fat coming from 4 teaspoons of coconut oil a day (20 grams of fat if im not mistaken). I'll report my results in a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, I really wanted to....really I did. I did a few rounds of very low fat dieting last summer, but I never controlled for JUST coconut oil.

Turns out I like the flavor of dairy fat (even in the reduced form) waaay too much :oops:

Why no carrot in your low fat subsistence? :carrot2

forterpride

Oh the carrot is there as well. Forgot to mention it. Yeah...going from 1% to nonfat is HARD. The satiety lasts a lot less when i drink that glass. But I add like a teaspoon of salt for every 20oz glass and one heaping tbsp sugar so it does kill the stress right away. Just that 1% usually holds me for a few hours but with the nonfat its every hour and a half. But it's worth it if I can deplete a lot of pufa stores over the course of the month. I also take 25mcg t3 a day and 1/3 cyno at night.

Yep, I drink 1%. It was hard enough going from whole milk to 1%, but ya get used to it.

I just could NOT do the skim *shudders*....and yes, zero satiety on skim. Fage 0% fat yogurt isn't too bad.

Will you be taking vitamin E while depleting PUFA?

Good luck on your experiment, sounds like a good one!

forterpride

Yep. I take 400 a day of unique e orally. I wrote Danny Roddy about going fat free and he said he doesn't think fat is necessary...although he did say it can be therapeutic for some people. He just said to make sure and get enough calories. Honestly...im not going to count calories at all. Im just going to drink the antistress milk all day whenever im hungry.

Cool, I ended up needing less thyroid medication after my fat free stints last summer. I went off completely for a few months last winter and then slowly added some back in this past May, when I felt I needed it for my brain and a stressful situation. I take less than half of what I used to take....it'd be awesome to not need it at all.

Peata

Has anyone else experimented or studied and come to a conclusion on this, whether coconut oil has a pass - as a fat that can be used with high carbs? And not contribute to weight gain.

I've been meaning to try this experiment without any confounders, I never got around to it due to previous gut issues and other experiments.

2016 is a whole New Year so I would still very much like to try this and see if I can rip the last 10-15 pounds of fat off my body....problem is I don't know how to control for activity level, you know the calories out aspect.

I have added MCT oil to my daily coffee drink a few times recently. It NOTICEABLY raises my body temp (to point of sweating bullets), but I've been making my coffee drinks with whole milk lately (as of late fall/winter) and so I'd need to switch to skim milk for a proper test...something I'm sorta dreading.

Peata

I've been meaning to try this experiment without any confounders, I never got around to it due to previous gut issues and other experiments.

2016 is a whole New Year so I would still very much like to try this and see if I can rip the last 10-15 pounds of fat off my body....problem is I don't know how to control for activity level, you know the calories out aspect.

I have added MCT oil to my daily coffee drink a few times recently. It NOTICEABLY raises my body temp (to point of sweating bullets), but I've been making my coffee drinks with whole milk lately (as of late fall/winter) and so I'd need to switch to skim milk for a proper test...something I'm sorta dreading.

For the last few days, I've been keeping fat at 10 g. or less, other than coconut oil which I am using to cook with and not really measuring or worrying about. I'll see if there is any difference in things. It's not the perfect experiment but it will mean something to me since I'm eating now in a way I really like.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals