Weight Loss/Ray Peat Results

Theta

The casein amino acid profile is similar to whey protein. Why is casein protein recommended but whey protein is not "Peaty" (too much Tryptophan)?

BastiFuntasty

Theta said:
post 119528 The casein amino acid profile is similar to whey protein. Why is casein protein recommended but whey protein is not "Peaty" (too much Tryptophan)?
Casein amino acid profile is not the same as the one of whey. Whey has way more tryptophan. You possibly took a look at a casein with added free aminos, which is very common.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miggie

Could you explain why you think you need to lower Iron to lose the weight? I just added an iron supplement to my regime and my weight loss is speeding up and my energy levels are up but I could be deficient because I lose a lot of blood because I get nose bleeds very often.

nullredvector

Could you explain why you think you need to lower Iron to lose the weight?

I am wondering the same thing. Some ideas:
1. Iron destroys protectors of oxidative metabloism - vitamins C&E and probably copper.
2. Iron feeds and promotes growth of bacteria in the upper GI tract - only place that needs to be comprised for weight gain/metabolic derangement to occur (see: gastric sleeve).
3. Iron may crowd out copper from reaching proper concentration.

Haidut posted a study about how a copper study was used to restore oxphos in PUFA fed monkies, and I believe the monkies lost weight.

tomisonbottom

Do you worry about the arsenic in chicken? or if it's grass fed? or the amount of polyunsaturated fats? Or just eat it because it ups your protein?

L

lollipop

I would also like to point out the obvious, that weight loss/health improvements are IMPOSSIBLE in the presence of alcohol. It is entirely toxic with no beneficial properties, and I would hesitate to agree that anyone who drinks it can say they are on a Ray Peat inspired diet. I was doing a lot of these things before I stopped drinking, and hardly saw any improvements in health. It was not until I stopped drinking altogether that I saw cumulative gains in health and wellness.

Alcohol is estrogenic, and consuming it causes a huge cascade of stress and estrogenic hormones. This is especially pronounced in Men, but don't kid yourself into thinking you can drink in moderation and see positive Peat results. It won't happen.

If you find the idea of giving up alcohol alarming, there are great support groups you can join for friendship, fun, and personal growth. I am part of one and through it I learned how to enjoy life and relax without the aid of alcohol.

Sooooooooo agree! Actually my husband and I do not miss it at all...it makes us feel sick, from even the tiniest amount...

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

I have been writing a little bit about my results on a blog, if you'd like to read it has a little more detail about the particular journey I went on, rather than technical details, though there are some tidbits of technicality.

F*CK Portion Control

EIRE24

Protein before bed (I use casein) and Potatoes are really important. Don't cut all starch just grain starch. If you eat too much less (calorie deprivation) your stress hormones rise and you won't lose weight.

Weight gain is basically a function of endotoxin on the liver. To combat it you have to reduce body iron levels so stomach bacteria don't grow so dramatically, then get enough protein and carbs so your body can repair, heal, and create plenty of good hormones. A deficit of carbs, protein, or calories sets off stress hormones that inflame the liver and encourage bacterial overgrowth.

What does your diet look like? You talk about carb and protein but don't say much about the fat sources you use?

Would you think skin issues and acne is a result of endotoxins in the gut and or liver? My liver labs recently showed no signs of any problems although I have persistent acne and dry skin?

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

What does your diet look like? You talk about carb and protein but don't say much about the fat sources you use?

Would you think skin issues and acne is a result of endotoxins in the gut and or liver? My liver labs recently showed no signs of any problems although I have persistent acne and dry skin?

No grains
No polyunsaturated fats
(obviously the above can't be perfect, but it can be thorough)
High fruit
High protein
Moderate to high fat—highly saturated sources like milk/cream/butter/coconut. Occasionally I've done low/no fat to speed weight loss, but it doesn't seem to be more powerful than just sticking to this diet in general.

Occasionally I get acne if I take too much vitamin A, but if you have any grains and/or a lot of red meat in your diet that could be why. It's mostly due to the high iron content of fortified wheat and the high iron content of red meat. If you cut out those sources of high iron, and supplement coriander (cilantro) to chelate the iron in your gut you should see a reduction of acne. Adding generous amounts of butter to your diet will relieve the dry skin (I had really badly dry cracked heels and when I started Peating and specifically introduced regular amounts of butter they healed up fully and are now soft)... oh and alcohol dries the skin so if you drink you'll just have to live with dry skin.

EIRE24

No grains
No polyunsaturated fats
High fruit
High protein
Moderate to high fat—highly saturated sources like milk/cream/butter/coconut. Occasionally I've done low/no fat to speed weight loss, but it doesn't seem to be more powerful than just sticking to this diet in general.

Occasionally I get acne if I take too much vitamin A, but if you have any grains and/or a lot of red meat in your diet that could be why. It's mostly due to the high iron content of fortified wheat and the high iron content of red meat. If you cut out those sources of high iron, and supplement coriander (cilantro) to chelate the iron in your gut you should see a reduction of acne. Adding generous amounts of butter to your diet will relieve the dry skin (I had really badly dry cracked heels and when I started Peating and specifically introduced regular amounts of butter they healed up fully and are now soft)... oh and alcohol dries the skin so if you drink you'll just have to live with dry skin.

So no grains at all? No white rice? I find that interesting about the vitamin A. You say it gets worse when you take a lot? I found the same thing happen me. I only started to get acne when I ate liver. Why do so many people here recommend large amount of vitamin A for acne?

Why would red meat cause acne? Doesn't it have high zinc content? Surely iron couldn't be the only thing causing the acne? I actually suspect in my case that it's a bacterial overgrowth from eating fruit and other foods that led to endotoxins when my metabolism wasn't high enough to handle it.

I will try to add more butter to my diet. I'm only 22 years of age so I guess I do drink alcohol on occasion and will just have to deal with it for a while.

lindsay

Congratulations on your success! That is fantastic and you look super! It's good to see that success can be achieved without limiting food and calories :)

dd99

No grains
No polyunsaturated fats
High fruit
High protein

Thanks for the great info, man. I've also been reading your blog - really well done.

Sorry if you've addressed this already, but is your only objection to grains the iron content? Because my wife comes from a.big bread eating family, so I have started making bread at home for her which isn't fortified with iron and doesn't include vitamins.

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Thanks for the great info, man. I've also been reading your blog - really well done.

Sorry if you've addressed this already, but is your only objection to grains the iron content? Because my wife comes from a.big bread eating family, so I have started making bread at home for her which isn't fortified with iron and doesn't include vitamins.
Thank you! No there are many toxic compounds in wheat. Phytoestrogens and anti-digestion compounds meant to prevent the wheat seed from being eaten. Grain starch is also chaotic for cellular health. Sorry to say, trust me, I loved bread. I find the key to avoiding them is to instead focus on eating other things like potatoes.

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Congratulations on your success! That is fantastic and you look super! It's good to see that success can be achieved without limiting food and calories :)
Thanks Lindsay. Yes I was especially relieved to find that out. My days of endless hunger are no more.

amethyst

Natedawggh, first of all, congrats on your weight loss, you look great! Two questions: wanted to know what percentage of fat would say you were/are eating in your program 2) As far as the cilantro goes, what do you think about juicing it? I was doing that for detoxification before Peating, but didn't know if it was a Peaty thing to do or not.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

amethyst