Overweight people have lower mortality

haidut

Forum Supporter
Obesity paradox confirmed again. Actually, I should say "mild obesity and overweight paradox" confirmed again. Very obese people (grade 2 and 3) had higher mortality but comparable to normal weight people.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.asp ... id=1555137

"...Conclusions and Relevance: Relative to normal weight, both obesity (all grades) and grades 2 and 3 obesity were associated with significantly higher all-cause mortality. Grade 1 obesity overall was not associated with higher mortality, and overweight was associated with significantly lower all-cause mortality. The use of predefined standard BMI groupings can facilitate between-study comparisons."

jaguar43

The difference between overweight and obesity is vast. Central obesity is associated with high cortisol and glucocorticoids. People who are considered overweight are usually measure by BMI. Which according to some professionals, bodybuilders are considered "overweight" but most have low body fat. So I would take this study with a grain of salt because one's definition of obese and overweight are different from each institution and historical period.

Ahanu

I think its time to abandon the BMI with its conclusions for what is overweight , normalweight etc. Its such an old not up to date concept. This would also keep the pressure of people wich are regarded today sligthly obese(Which suggest that they should loose some pounds to be in the healthy zone) Because they maybe are already. Though this may be hard to accept for the common health junkie ;)

jaguar43

SugarBoy said:
post 118166 I think its time to abandon the BMI with its conclusions for what is overweight , normalweight etc. Its such an old not up to date concept. This would also keep the pressure of people wich are regarded today sligthly obese(Which suggest that they should loose some pounds to be in the healthy zone) Because they maybe are already. Though this may be hard to accept for the common health junkie ;)

Agreed. I think a better alternative is measuring body fat rather than body mass index. Along with a hormonal and metabolic panel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
SugarBoy said:
post 118166 I think its time to abandon the BMI with its conclusions for what is overweight , normalweight etc. Its such an old not up to date concept. This would also keep the pressure of people wich are regarded today sligthly obese(Which suggest that they should loose some pounds to be in the healthy zone) Because they maybe are already. Though this may be hard to accept for the common health junkie ;)
I agree. Practically speaking IRL the worst health outcomes I see are in people below BMI 18 and above 40 so the current way things are categorized doesn't seem to reflect the science or reality. I have a coworker who is beside herself and doing a starvation diet because she was pegged as overweight by our health insurance but she's into weight lifting so has very little fat to speak of :roll: . I think more people are being harmed than helped by the BMI scale. It took me a long time to fully understand that though.

Last edited by a moderator: