Important Announcement Regarding Forum Software Change, Please Read!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
In one week Ray Peat Forum will be moving off of PHPBB forum software onto a much better solution. All info will be carried over to the new software including all posts, topics and PM's. However, there is one bit of information that will not carry over, your "unread posts". Basically when the switch is made, it will look like you have read all the posts. I am making this announcement to let you know that you have at least one week to catch up on your unread posts.

I am very excited to be able to switch to the new software as its superior in many ways. Dan Wich has been testing it with me and can confirm this as he is excited about the move too. I will write more on the benefits of the new software at a later time.

Again, no information will be lost, all posts and PM's will definitely be there. We have made a test migration over and made sure everything is on par.

When the day finally comes for the final migration, you can expect the forum to be down for a couple hours at most.

:hattip

CoolTweetPete

Thank you for all of the time, effort, and money you put into this forum, Charlie.

You have helped many many people, myself included. Excited for the new software!

:hattip

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Last edited by a moderator:

MCF

Charlie, thank you very much for everything you do for all of us!

Dan W

Yep, thank you for running this beast of a forum, Charlie.

charlie said:
post 118151 Dan Wich has been testing it with me and can confirm this as he is excited about the move too.
It's really nice. For anyone worried, it's not so much that it's a big dramatic overhaul that requires a lot of re-learning. The structure is the same, it's just got dozens of improvements.

brandonk

Dan Wich said:
Yep, thank you for running this beast of a forum, Charlie.

charlie said:
post 118151 Dan Wich has been testing it with me and can confirm this as he is excited about the move too.
It's really nice. For anyone worried, it's not so much that it's a big dramatic overhaul that requires a lot of re-learning. The structure is the same, it's just got dozens of improvements.
Do you know if it would be technically possible for you to make an image or archive of the whole forum, similar to a backup? If you're converting to xenforo (and Google seems to be finding a few test xenforo pages already), there are some directions here:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/h ... orum.7213/

burtlancast

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thank you for the kind words. Could not do it without you all! :D :hattip :grouphug2

Dan Wich said:
post 118160 For anyone worried, it's not so much that it's a big dramatic overhaul that requires a lot of re-learning. The structure is the same, it's just got dozens of improvements.
Good point Dan! There will not be much of a learning curve for members. The many improvements make up for all that. :D

dookie said:
post 118161 Is the new solution OpenSource as well?
No. I understand why it is important to have open source for some people. However, the improvements in Xenforo far outweigh that aspect. I mulled this decision over for months, and I believe it to be the right one. :hattip
brandonk said:
post 118206 Do you know if it would be technically possible for you to make an image or archive of the whole forum, similar to a backup?
Yes, it is possible but not the way you linked.

Last edited:

dookie

I feel as though this forum software is working just fine... don't see the need to change..

Don't change something if it ain't broke :)

brandonk

charlie said:
post 118285 Thank you for the kind words. Could not do it without you all! :D :hattip :grouphug2
brandonk said:
post 118206 Do you know if it would be technically possible for you to make an image or archive of the whole forum, similar to a backup?
Yes, it is possible but not the way you linked.
I have an excess of server and bandwidth capacity and could host or store secondary backup without incurring any cost, to protect against unforeseen failure (knock on wood), and to avoid secondary backup fees.

brandonk

burtlancast said:
post 118220
brandonk said:
Do you know if it would be technically possible for you to make an image or archive of the whole forum, similar to a backup? If you're converting to xenforo (and Google seems to be finding a few test xenforo pages already), there are some directions here:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/h ... orum.7213/

+1 :mrgreen:
Just for clarity, the secondary backup could be made available to others (either anonymously or by a password), making in effect a failsafe backup even in the event of multiple unforeseen failures.

[Edit] Upon reflection, there may also be some utility in having a "personal" archive that could be accessed even when offline, or searched without burdening the server.

kaybb

I appreciate all your time, effort, and sacrifice. New is always better when it comes to technology. That's what my grandkids keep telling me and I am a believer !!
Thanks again !!!

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
kaybb, :hattip

Kasper, I have. The more I use the new software the more I realize the right decision was made.

Just a quick reminder we will be changing the forum software very soon. Could be as soon as tomorrow(Wednesday) or I might hold off to the weekend. Have not decided yet.

Last edited: