Wearable Technology For Tracking Pulse/temps

Philomath

I thought I'd start a post on wearable devices that can help track useful vital signs (pulse, temps etc.). Even though there are plenty of devices in this "smart watch" category, I'm listing devices that track at minimum heart rate and temperature.
Here is my list, if you know of more, please add:

Jawbone UP3
$179.00 usd
http://jawbone.com/store/buy/up3

SENSOR & INTERFACE
Bluetooth® 4.0 BTLE
Tri-axis accelerometer
Bio-impedance:
Heart rate
Respiration
Galvanic Skin Response (GSR)
Skin temperature
Ambient Temperature

Tracks movement, steps, sleep, heart rate, skin temp, ambient temp and (GSR-sweat/metabolic rate?)
UP3™ captures your resting heart rate automatically in the mornings a couple of minutes after waking up, before you start moving for the day. No button required.
Tracking software/app included

Microsoft Band $199.99 usd
http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-band/en-us

Sensors:
Optical heart rate sensor
3-axis accelerometer/gyro
Gyrometer
GPS
Ambient light sensor
Skin temperature sensor
UV sensor
Capacitive sensor
Galvanic skin response
Microphone
Haptic vibration motor

Connectivity
Bluetooth 4.0 (Low Energy)
Tracking software

Tracks movement, steps, sleep, heart rate, skin temp, ambient temp and (GSR-sweat/metabolic rate?)

Peak from Basis. $199.99 usd
http://www.mybasis.com

Sensors:
Optical Heart Rate Sensor
Galvanic Skin Response
Skin Temperature
3-Axis Accelerometer

Tracking software/app included

*Non-wearable device but should be mentioned*

BREEZING. $349.90 usd
http://www.breezing.com
Measures/ tracks indirect calorimetry* (Measurement of oxygen consumption rate and carbon dioxide production rate),
Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) or Resting Energy Expenditure (REE), Respiratory Quotient (RQ, Energy Source)

messtafarian

I've tried a number of these but the problem is they don't agree with each other. I had one device that said I burned 3000 calories a day and another that said I burnt 1800, both on the same day.

They're neat ideas but I am not sure how accurate they are. I'm pretty sure they're getting better but I'm going to wait a couple years for accuracy to improve.

Great idea. What we need for our purposes is pulse and temperature, everything else is superfluous.

OP
Philomath

Philomath

Well most of it is superfluous but galvanic skin response can tell the amount of sweat-induced moisture on the skin. Sweat indicates a higher metabolism, possibly an oxidative metabolism. Plus it can tell when you're lying about your love for liver.
Some have UV detectors which might also indicate how much sun light (red or blue) you are getting - which may be a good reminder to get more red light exposure.

tara

There is a relationship between skin temperature and core temp, but it's far from the same measurement.

Does the Breezing require wearing a mask over mouth and nose? Direct measurements of oxygen consumption and CO2 production would be interesting, too.

OP
Philomath

Philomath

Two new additions to the wearable texhnologies, both for basal temperatures:

http://www.yonolabs.com/thanksgiving-update/
Ear based wireless thermometers- link to apps on phones
Say they are very accurate when compared to standard methods

Www.tempdrop.xyz
This one either adheres to skin or has an armband. Can be put in the armpit area or close to it
Records movement for sleep tracking as well

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    15 KB · Views: 187
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 190

Lightbringer

I was planning to try out the Oura ring - a so called 'wellness' computer :lol: Its pretty pricey but the screenshots seem pretty cool. They claim laboratory level accuracy using 'Optical pulse waveform' :ninja

You can return it within a month which is good as I am not used to wearing rings and I'm not sure how comfortable i'd feel. Still awaiting their android app, their iOS app has been held up by Apple. Hopefully things clear up in the next couple of months.

OP
Philomath

Philomath

Kaspar_Hauser said:
post 117865 I was planning to try out the Oura ring - a so called 'wellness' computer :lol: Its pretty pricey but the screenshots seem pretty cool. They claim laboratory level accuracy using 'Optical pulse waveform' :ninja

You can return it within a month which is good as I am not used to wearing rings and I'm not sure how comfortable i'd feel. Still awaiting their android app, their iOS app has been held up by Apple. Hopefully things clear up in the next couple of months.

That's a nice find! I like the ring option.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Philomath

Philomath

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 121

m_arch

Theres a lot of research coming out saying that nn-EMF (Non-native electro magnetic fields) are damaging to humans. I.e. mobile phones, microwaves, fridges, wifi etc. I'm gonna hold off on this.

OP
Philomath

Philomath

Ive been looking for units that will record and store the data internally, only using the Bluetooth to sync. Some will sync when connected to a station or just when you connect to an app - not continuously running the radio.

tankasnowgod

I had a fitbit for a a while, liked that I could easily track pulse as one thing. However, I stopped wearing it in March, when the COVID nonsense was ramping up. Haven't worn it since.

I know we are tracked by all sorts of things, and do think this tech has some promise, but I'm not giving any "health" related info away to tech companies during this time. Maybe never again.

Comstock

I pre-ordered this $20 Wyze watch. It doesn't provide temperature, but it does provide heart rate, and, most importantly o2 saturation. No idea how accurate it'll be, but it's only $20.

MetaJo

I use the Tempdrop for fertility temperature monitoring. I like it a lot and think it's pretty accurate. You just wear it at night on the inside of your upper arm and sync it with your phone in the morning.

JohnA

I use the Tempdrop for fertility temperature monitoring. I like it a lot and think it's pretty accurate. You just wear it at night on the inside of your upper arm and sync it with your phone in the morning.
I tried both the Ava and Tempdrop devices a few years ago (I'll splurge on any gadget that has at least a 25% chance of being useful). Unfortunately, I'm a man, and my lack of a cycle messed up those device's algorithms!

JohnA

I just ordered this wearable core body sensor. CORE Body Temperature monitor

Will let you guys know how it goes!

Ok. The Core Body Temperature monitor arrived last night.

Pros:
1. It easily clips onto my heart rate monitor and sits on the side of my chest a few inches under my armpit. This is a huge improvement from previous wearable temperature monitors that required me to buy adhesives to apply. The box comes with a pack of adhesives, but using a heart rate monitor is much better, IMO.
2. The continous monitoring seems accurate. I'm excited about this because I can now check throughout the day and know when I need to put on more layers or eat something warming. There are times when you may feel hot, but your body temperature is still sub-optimal because of lowered temperature setpoints.
3. I like that you can charge it via USB (a lot of these monitors have watch type batteries that you have to keep buying every few months)

Cons:
1. The app is pretty bare bones. The biggest issue is that you don't seem to be able to download the historical data to a CSV
2. Expensive (~$250)

Summary: My plan was to wear this continually (except while charging alongside my Oura ring for 15-30 minutes every morning) and then upload the hourly data to my health data spreadsheet so that I could see trends in my daily and overnight temperature. Without this export feature, I'll mainly just use it to help me make in the moment decisions about whether I need to take steps to warm myself up. That ability is still very valuable to me!

OP
Philomath

Philomath

Ok. The Core Body Temperature monitor arrived last night.

Pros:
1. It easily clips onto my heart rate monitor and sits on the side of my chest a few inches under my armpit. This is a huge improvement from previous wearable temperature monitors that required me to buy adhesives to apply. The box comes with a pack of adhesives, but using a heart rate monitor is much better, IMO.
2. The continous monitoring seems accurate. I'm excited about this because I can now check throughout the day and know when I need to put on more layers or eat something warming. There are times when you may feel hot, but your body temperature is still sub-optimal because of lowered temperature setpoints.
3. I like that you can charge it via USB (a lot of these monitors have watch type batteries that you have to keep buying every few months)

Cons:
1. The app is pretty bare bones. The biggest issue is that you don't seem to be able to download the historical data to a CSV
2. Expensive (~$250)

Summary: My plan was to wear this continually (except while charging alongside my Oura ring for 15-30 minutes every morning) and then upload the hourly data to my health data spreadsheet so that I could see trends in my daily and overnight temperature. Without this export feature, I'll mainly just use it to help me make in the moment decisions about whether I need to take steps to warm myself up. That ability is still very valuable to me!
Does the Oura ring work well for tracking temperature? I was thinking about buying one for tracking heart rate and temps

JohnA

Does the Oura ring work well for tracking temperature? I was thinking about buying one for tracking heart rate and temps
I like my Oura ring for its HRV and sleep tracking, but I find the temp tracking pretty useless. It only tells you your nightly deviation from your “baseline”, but it doesn’t tell you what your actual baseline is, so it’s not really helpful to me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom