What Blood Tests Should I Get?

thegiantess

Ideal lab levels?

Giraffe said:
post 116115 http://wiki.raypeatforum.com/index.php/ ... #Vitamin_D

Ray Peat said:
[Blood test - vitamin D] I think 50 ng/ml is a good goal. The point at which it lowers parathyroid hormone would be the right amount.

You are what you Eat, 2014 Herb doctors
RP: It's good to have albumin well above 40 and blood glucose anywhere from 70 to 110, and Potassium and Sodium should be around the middle of the scale.

Wow. You are incredibly helpful. Thanks for including your search method. I think part of the problem is that I am rarely near an actual computer so I am doing most things on my phone. Anyway, thanks again for all your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Velve921

Blood Testing: Which are the right markers for health?

[moderator edit: topics merged]

I want to get everyones thoughts on the right markers for health that people have found effective or correlate. This is the list I have compiled so far of tests to consider:

Albumin
Alkaline phosphatase
ALT
AST
BUN
Calcium
Chloride
CO2
Creatinine
Glucose test
Potassium test
Sodium
Total bilirubin
Total protein
Red blood cell count
Hemoglobin
Hematocrit
Red blood cell indices
Mean Corpusular Hemoglobin
Red Blood cell distribution
White blood cell count
platelet count
Total Cholesterol
Triglycerides
HDL cholesterol
LDL cholesterol
Total cholesterol/HDL ratio
TSH
Reverse T3
25(OH) vitamin D
Prolactin
Parathyroid
whole blood serotonin
lactic acid
free fatty acids
histamine
C-Reactive Protein
NFKB
TNF Alpha

I am confused about the following:

Free T4
Free T3

Are these good markers for measuring thyroid? I have heard controversal information.

Would love to hear everyones thoughts as I move forward with health tests. Thanks in advance!

Velve921

And 1 more:

NAD/NADH ratio - what is considered a healthy ratio?

hmac

Peat's opinion is that total t3 and t4 are the markers worth looking at. He mentions this in one of his articles about thyroid on the website.
As far as I can remember the NAD/NADH should be several hundred to one.
Hopefully someone else will chime in with some less ambiguous answers!

Velve921

I had a feeling total T3 and T4 was supposed to be more accurate. I found in an article stating ratio should be 200.

Lightbringer

Ewlevy1 said:
post 117219 I had a feeling total T3 and T4 was supposed to be more accurate. I found in an article stating ratio should be 200.
That's a great list. Perhaps we could also break this up into an "Essentials" list and a "Good to Have" kind of thing. For example, if one were to do these tests with a limited budget, would Cholesterol and TSH be enough to provide a basic snapshot of health? Then of course comes the much harder task of figuring out what on earth the optimal levels are. This would be useful as a sticky on this forum - all the useful tests and optimal values for the same!

For ratios, free t3 to rt3 can be useful and sttm mentions a ratio above 20 to be good. They also have a neat calculator:
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/rt3-ratio/

I was searching for optimal values for Prolactin and Cortisol as I thought Danny Roddy had mentioned them somewhere but no luck finding them :?

I think that the lab tests don't really represent a good way to go about thyroid supplementation. Heart rate and temps in the morning when you wake up, and after eating, are better. And throughout the day.

My temps were in the 96s. Now they're in the 97s since I've been supplementing thyroid. I've tried a lot of other things but nothing has brought up my metabolism the way this is starting to (supplementing with NDT and T3). And yet my labs said this:

Free T3 3.3 pg/mL - ref range 2.0-4.4
Free T4 1.1 ng/dL -ref range 0.82-1.77

My TSH was 1.9

By all medical theories I shouldn't be supplementing but I know at the moment I'm hypothyroid by symptoms. I expect that eventually I won't supplement.

As for the list, I would add for males testosterone

Dotdash

If I remember correctly, the prolactin value for men is under under 6 and for women it is under 12.

I like this list idea.

Giraffe

Kaspar_Hauser said:
post 117225 This would be useful as a sticky on this forum - all the useful tests and optimal values for the same!
There was already a sticky. I have now merged three topics. I also made this part of the FAQ in the forum-wiki. I think it would be a good idea to have this topic to discuss things and ask questions, and have the wiki for a quick overview. You are welcome to enter data into the wiki.

Lightbringer

Giraffe said:
post 117236
Kaspar_Hauser said:
post 117225 This would be useful as a sticky on this forum - all the useful tests and optimal values for the same!
There was already a sticky. I have now merged three topics. I also made this part of the FAQ in the forum-wiki. I think it would be a good idea to have this topic to discuss things and ask questions, and have the wiki for a quick overview. You are welcome to enter data into the wiki.
Thanks ! I was wondering how the threads were magically merging, moderators working their magic :thumbup:

ddjd

When I spoke to My Roddy on FB he recommended:
Prolactin
Parathyroid
TSH
Whole blood serotonin
CO2
Lactic Acid
Free fatty acids (NEFA)
Vit D
Histamine

That was for a FULL profile.

Notice no T3 and T4 - With all of the above in check T3 and T4 will be at good levels I imagine.

I have heard Ray mention Prolactin being very important in several interviews due to it strongly indication estrogen and serotonin dominance if it is high. Paraphrasing but he said something along the lines of "If it comes back high every system is under considerable stress"

Hope this helps

Why no reverse T3. And even peat says total T3 and total T4 is helpful to know. Why doesn't Roddy suggest it

ddjd

As a bare minimum would these tests be sufficient as a general reflection of health;

Prolactin
TSH
C reactive protein
iron markers
Cholesterol panel

Mauritio

I dont know if this has been asked before but before a blood test , should I stop supplementing with the tested substance?
I want to test vitamin d and in August my level was 31ng/dl so I want to check back now. But won't there be a difference if Ido the test let's say 1 hour past supplementation versus 24 h after supplementation...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals