What to test for thyroid? Anyone from the philippines?

Hi to all of you

What do i need to test for thyroid. The last time i had a lab test was year 2013 May 17.

The result

FT4 = 10.89 (12.0 - 22.0 pmol/l

Ultrasensitive HTSH = 2.24 (0.270 - 4.20 miu/l)

By the way i stop taking levothyroxine (thyrax) year 2012 month of december until now.

The reason im asking this from 2013 to november 2015 im ok without any T4 medication. But the last week of november 2015 start having different taste in throat saliva/phelgm and 1st or 2nd week of december im having brain fog and coldness.

By the way i think im allergic to xanthan gum in drinks. Would this ingredients have in dental composite fillings? I had one 1st week of december and started the brain fog.

OP
HealthisWealth
Which is important to test

FT4 or T4

FT3 or T3?

Anyone who will advice what i test i needed for thyroid?

OP
HealthisWealth
Hi giraffe thank you for the reply

Why T3 and T4 is better to test than FT3 and FT4?

Do you have the link like FAQ about lab testing for thyroid in this forum?

Giraffe

HealthisWealth said:
post 115993 Why T3 and T4 is better to test than FT3 and FT4?
It is not true that only the free T3 and T4 are the active ones. Also read here post 100090.

HealthisWealth said:
post 115993 Do you have the link like FAQ about lab testing for thyroid in this forum?
Check the email advice.

You might also want to search forum Ask For Help or Advice. Start with the sub-forums "Blood Work/Labs" and "Metabolism".

CoolTweetPete said:
post 116000 This one might be a good start. Good luck.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/hy ... dism.shtml
:+1

your pulse and temperature. seriously, are thyroid tests even worth checking? i mean, i guess it is good to look at it to see where it's at, but TSH you want to be pretty low.

answersfound

mayweatherking said:
post 116011 your pulse and temperature. seriously, are thyroid tests even worth checking? i mean, i guess it is good to look at it to see where it's at, but TSH you want to be pretty low.

+1

Labs never did much for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
HealthisWealth
I went to the ER awhile ago.

They test me for TSH. 1.803 (0.350 - 4.940)

No T4 and T3 because its nuclear lab is close for the holiday

Electrolytes
Sodium 138 mmol/l (136 - 145)
Potassium 3.6 mmol/l (3.5 -5.1)
Calcium 2.26 mmol/l (2.10 - 2.60)
Magnesium 0.84 mmol/l (0.66-1.07)

CBC normal

While lying down in the ER bed with a flourescent light infront of me, why did my shortness of breath improved. I almost slept in the ER and relax. But i was told to go home and prescribe itarax antihistamine hydroxyzine.

i took the itarax and went to bed but i still feeling the shortness breath so i turned on the light and for the first time in 3days i slept for 5hours and woke up close the light and slept again for 3hours woke up again and i think another 1 or 2 hours.

Before this thing i hate bright lights and loud noises. What is happening to me.

OP
HealthisWealth
mayweatherking said:
post 116011 your pulse and temperature. seriously, are thyroid tests even worth checking? i mean, i guess it is good to look at it to see where it's at, but TSH you want to be pretty low.

answersfound said:
post 116012
mayweatherking said:

+1

Labs never did much for me.

How do i test for the temperature and pulse?

OP
HealthisWealth
I will be going again to a laboratory that will run a T4 and T3 test today. But dont have an endocrinologist doctor to look at.

The antihistamine did not work and i dont have sleep again

I have been worrying why i cannot sleep.

answersfound

Thermometer under your tongue before getting out of bed when you wake up in the morning. If it is significantly below 97.8 consistently you may want to consider thyroid supplementation. If it slightly below, you can probably bring temperatures up with Ray's typical recommendations, without thyroid.

answersfound

HealthisWealth said:
post 116466 Will T4 only meds work? Dont have access and dont know how to take T3 and NDT

They are not ideal, but T4 is the most commonly prescribed medication in the United States, so I'm sure it works perfectly fine for many. But I would make sure my liver was in absolutely excellent shape if I were going to use T4 only. To do that, I would consume 200-300 mg caffeine each day. If liver health isn't good, T4 won't convert well and you could get RT3 which is not what you want, because it blocks T3 from getting into the cell.

T4 is certainly not incompatible with being healthy, you just want to be a bit more cautious and take things slowly. It's certainly better than nothing.

OP
HealthisWealth
What test to do so i will know if my liver is ok? And the pulse test?

I think im underprotein. I forgot to tell that last night (philippine time) i drank lots of milk. The morning near lunch i ate a sweet cassava starch. After that im thinking of having a T4 , T3, cortisol test but im really tired worrying so i went back to bed and for the first time without taking antihistamine i slept and woke 6pm. The sensation in my head has lessen or maybe gone.

My fault i think is my diet. Im not getting the protein requirement for the day. I been eating processed ice cream and maybe not getting the protein requirement. But with milk its easy to drink many cups and i think i already consumed two liters in less than 24hours.

I wiil try to find an local endocrinologist or any doctor who is knowledgeable about dr ray peat. Thank your for this forum you really help me. I have been reading about ray peat and was led this forum.

tara

answersfound said:
post 116461
Thermometer under your tongue before getting out of bed when you wake up in the morning.
This.
For 10 minutes to be sure the themometer gets up to temperature. 97. - 98.2 is normal waking temp. Can also take a while after breakfast, and some time in the afternoon to see what happens with it.

Pulse: http://onlineheartrate.com/
Peat generally seems to think 80-90 beats/min is consistent with good thyroid function - if you are way lower it indicate lower metabolism.

Most drs accept a very wide range of thyroid hormones as normal, even in the face o obvious hypothyroid symptoms, and few seem to align with Peat's ideas. You want the lab result numbers, not just a drs interpretation. If you bring your lab numbers here, you will likely get ideas from people here about how to interpret.

Getting enough nutrition is important, including protein, vitamins, minerals, carbs, and overall calories. Chronic undereating and deficiencies can result in reduced metabolism. If htis is the cause, getting nutrition up seems to me to e an important first step. Good that milk agrees with you.

Red and infrared light is important for metabolism. If you are not able to get regular daily sunlight on your skin (best), then setting yourself up with some strong incandescent lighting may be helpful. Not fluorescents, which are more heavily in the blue end of the spectrum. You could try sleeping under incandescents too, if it works for you - not everyone can.

OP
HealthisWealth
Hi i tested again in a another laboratory. I was prescribed T4 (50mcg) Is this enough or i need to increase?

I still cannot sleep. More than 72 hours now. When i lie down i feel body tremors and feels my heartbeat. Im thinking of taking diazepam.

T3 1.06 (0.80-2.0 ng/ml)
T4 105.3 (66.0 - 181.0 nmol/l)
FT3 5.09 (3.10 - 6.8 pmol/ l)
FT4 17.79 (12.0 - 22.0 pmol/l)
Ultrasensitive HTSH 6.57 (0.270 - 4.20 miu/L)

tara

tara said:
post 116676 If you are not able to get regular daily sunlight on your skin (best)
In the Philipines - so I guess you can get sunshine. :)

HealthisWealth said:
post 116858 Hi i tested again in a another laboratory. I was prescribed T4 (50mcg) Is this enough or i need to increase?

I still cannot sleep. More than 72 hours now. When i lie down i feel body tremors and feels my heartbeat. Im thinking of taking diazepam.

T4 has a long half-life. It can take 2-4 weeks at a steady dose to reach a stable blood level. So you won't know if it is enough yet. If it already felt like enough it would probably mean your dose was too high. If it's working, you should get gradual improvements over the next few weeks. How much people need varies, but this is enough that it could well make a difference if it is going to help. Reassess in 3-4 weeks.

Apparently one can be more sensitive to adrenaline for a while when thyroid hormones increase. This should settle down in a few weeks too, from what I've read.

Your body temps and resting pulse rate give valuable information for assessing how your metabolism is going. You can measure this every day and watch to see if they increase.

If you want the T4 to work for you, I recommend assessing your diet to check that you are getting adequate nutrition. If you are deficient in protein, carbs, paricular minerals or vitamins, or overall calories, then supplementing thyroid can cause unnecessary stress, or else just be countered by the body. How much magnesium are you getting?
Also worth avoiding the most goitrogenic (anti-thyroid) foods - esp PUFAs, but also raw cabbage, soy.
Do you want to spell out what and how much you are eating?

If you can hold out and not take the diazepam for now, I'd recommend it - it will just complicate the picture for you and make it harder to figure out what is going on and what you need. There is a good chance the T4 supp will make a difference I'm not familiar with the drug myself, but I'd be concerned partly about setting yourself up for withdrawal issues.

Since you have T4 and no T3 in your supplement, it my be worth you looking up the particular things that help with converting the less active T4 to the more active T3 that your cells need. I don't remember them all, but adequate glucose is one of them. Long endurance exercise tends to reduce it.

How's your breathing? Relaxed, nasal, diaphragmatic? If not, these can be retrained. This may not be you, but sometimes unaware hyperventilation can go with a hard heart beat. I had a patch a while ago waking up with a strong heartbeat in the night. I think among the things that helped were learning to keep my mouth shut at night, and increasing carbs and minerals. It hasn't happened for a while now.

Back
Top Bottom