Is There Any Reason Not To Take Methylene Blue Permanently?

Hugh Johnson

Is there any reason not to take Methylene Blue permanently?

Lifetime effects seem purely positive, cost is next to nothing and the dosage is so small impurities seem like they would not matter.

Also, anyone have any idea about shelf life. Does it go bad eventually and once it does, is it harmful?

milk_lover

Maybe think of it as an occasional supplement? Similar to cascara and co.

answersfound

Can it be used orally?

michael94

milk_lover said:
post 113576 Maybe think of it as an occasional supplement? Similar to cascara and co.

Caffeine/coffee is a staple around the globe, I don't see why methylene blue can't join in a similar way

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheik

I have been wondering this myself. Maybe it's a question for the doctor. :ninja

CoolTweetPete

I had this same question. The only concern might be the long-term effects on serotonin (acts like an SSRI), but I'm not sure if those effects are fully mitigated when using caffeine (Oxidal).

michael94

CoolTweetPete said:
post 113739 I had this same question. The only concern might be the long-term effects on serotonin (acts like an SSRI), but I'm not sure if those effects are fully mitigated when using caffeine (Oxidal).

I though it only had those effects in very high doses and not a concern with 1-2mg or so daily (which is what peat recommends for optimal concentration in cells iirc )?

CoolTweetPete

icecreamlover said:
post 113740
CoolTweetPete said:
post 113739 I had this same question. The only concern might be the long-term effects on serotonin (acts like an SSRI), but I'm not sure if those effects are fully mitigated when using caffeine (Oxidal).

I though it only had those effects in very high doses and not a concern with 1-2mg or so daily (which is what peat recommends for optimal concentration in cells iirc )?

Very possible. I just know Haidut puts 400mcg methylene blue:400mcg of caffeine in Oxidal in order to promote dopamine (and oppose serotonin). But again I haven't seen studies regarding the amount needed for SSRI effect.

Makrosky

CoolTweetPete said:
icecreamlover said:
post 113740
CoolTweetPete said:

Very possible. I just know Haidut puts 400mcg methylene blue:400mcg of caffeine in Oxidal in order to promote dopamine (and oppose serotonin). But again I haven't seen studies regarding the amount needed for SSRI effect.

I think it's more like for the synergistic effects on mithocondrial unxoupling than for opposing serotonin. You'll have to take a lot of Oxidal to reach MB's IMAO effects (not SSRI).

DaveFoster

The SSRI effect of methylene blue presents itself at doses of 1 mg, and likely a bit under this. 500 mcg should not possess a measurable SSRI effect, or rather MAO-A inhibition.

Makrosky

DaveFoster said:
The SSRI effect of methylene blue presents itself at doses of 1 mg, and likely a bit under this. 500 mcg should not possess a measurable SSRI effect, or rather MAO-A inhibition.

I always thought MB had MAO inhibiting properties, not SSRI properties. And also, at much higher doses as you can read in the 3-4 big threads about MB in this forum.

Dave what is the source of that claim ?

tara

milk_lover

Hugh Johnson said:
post 113582
milk_lover said:
post 113576 Maybe think of it as an occasional supplement? Similar to cascara and co.
Why?
My gut feelings to be honest. Some people are obsessed with studies and they are helpful, but I wouldn't depend on MB as a main staple in my diet. Milk/OJ/seafood/coffee(which is more than caffeine)/lamb/liver/rejuvenating amino acids/vitamins are foods and nutrients that I would depend on. MB can be helpful in situations even for seemingly long periods (weeks,months, years), but for the rest of your life, I don't see myself do it. But this is just me. I have been taking Aspirin for few months now, it might be similar to MB, I don't know if I am going to take it for the rest of my life or not. Heck, I haven't even touched MB in my life, so I shouldn't have written a comment in this post in the first place. Maybe if I've tried it, I will find it amazing and I change my mind. If one thing I learned from this forum, it is being open minded about everything. It's just we don't know exactly how MB interacts with other substances in the body. Ray Peat has gone against mainstream medicine long time ago, and his ideas are being proven to be right study after study mostly in recent years (thanks haidut). Maybe the same thing applies to MB. To answer your question, I was talking from my guts (non-respectful language: from my ****) and it felt right when I wrote it and it still feels right. Is there a study about MB long-term effect?

DaveFoster

Makrosky said:
post 113833
DaveFoster said:

I always thought MB had MAO inhibiting properties, not SSRI properties. And also, at much higher doses as you can read in the 3-4 big threads about MB in this forum.

Dave what is the source of that claim ?
Personal experience and an anecdote. By SSRI, I mean MAO-A inhibition; it's not the same thing and I should have clarified terms.

tara

Sheik said:
post 113738 I have been wondering this myself. Maybe it's a question for the doctor. :ninja

Dr Peat said:
post 69191 I think the most important therapeutic effects are in the range of a tenth of a milligram to one milligram per day, and the doses that inhibit MAO are in the range of hundreds of milligrams. I don't recommend it for anything that can be corrected by diet, thyroid, aspirin, antihistamine, progesterone, etc.

milk_lover

Hugh Johnson said:
post 114390
milk_lover said:
post 113855 Is there a study about MB long-term effect?
I saw one lifetime study on.mice.

Some positives on performance, 6% increase in female lifespan, no change in male lifespan.
So not the most impressive results... I don't know about MB, I might try it someday.

papaya

1/10 of a mg seems so tiny. would that roughly be putting 1 drop in some water & taking 1 sip? i've used mb directly on my throat when getting sick & it stops it in it's tracks, but i've never used it on a regular basis. i think i want to start using it 3x a week just cuz. the dose seems so small that i can't imagine it can be that bad to use regularly.