Here's to a Proper Calf Liver Replacement Supplement

Hi!

If any of our fine people would be interested, here's my idea. Consider for a moment the benefits of a supplement which could well approximate the nutrients found in a weekly slice of liver. Here's what one dose (or seven doses, rather) would likely contain:

20mcg selenium
10mg zinc
a few milligrams copper
75000 IU retinyl acetate
100mcg vitamin B12 (B12 geeks pick the best form)

Optional could be some of the things Ray Peat claims make the liver dark. Perhaps they are some form of Coenzyme Q10? Please if you enjoy this sort of thing, help perfect the recipe, so at least we can have the recipe.

D

Derek

Such_Saturation said:
post 112707 Hi!

If any of our fine people would be interested, here's my idea. Consider for a moment the benefits of a supplement which could well approximate the nutrients found in a weekly slice of liver. Here's what one dose (or seven doses, rather) would likely contain:

20mcg selenium
10mg zinc
a few milligrams copper
75000 IU retinyl acetate

Optional could be some of the things Ray Peat claims make the liver dark. Perhaps they are some form of Coenzyme Q10? Please if you enjoy this sort of thing, help perfect the recipe, so at least we can have the recipe.

I'm sure there are many more things in liver, yet unknown; that contribute to it's overall health benefits. I don't think you can really reduce it down to simply 7 isolated chemicals. I don't eat liver, BTW; but what's your aversion to eating it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarmander

I think it would be tough to get all the nutrients found in liver into a supplement. However I have found that a dose of estroban and a dose of energin approximates how it feels to eat some liver. Liver is still king though.

I like the idea. You'd have to add vit k and some iron too

Ideonaut

Such_Saturation said:
post 112707 If any of our fine people would be interested
Was just chomping on a piece of frozen raw beef liver as I read this. Tastes kinda like a fudgecicle to me!

OP
S
Tarmander said:
post 112711 I think it would be tough to get all the nutrients found in liver into a supplement. However I have found that a dose of estroban and a dose of energin approximates how it feels to eat some liver. Liver is still king though.

There doesn't seem to be much vitamin K at all according to some websites :(

XPlus

I can think of 75,000 and one reason to not put retinyl acetate through my mouth.
How about freeze dried liver?

OP
S
:?: The point is not to eat liver.

Tarmander

Such_Saturation said:
post 112714
Tarmander said:
post 112711 I think it would be tough to get all the nutrients found in liver into a supplement. However I have found that a dose of estroban and a dose of energin approximates how it feels to eat some liver. Liver is still king though.

Yeah I have seen that. It's weird how there doesn't seem like there is an agreement on vit k content in liver. Doesn't Ray say it has some?

D

Derek

Tarmander said:
post 112723
Such_Saturation said:
post 112714
Tarmander said:

Yeah I have seen that. It's weird how there doesn't seem like there is an agreement on vit k content in liver. Doesn't Ray say it has some?

Ray did the testing himself. If I remember correctly he said 1mg per 100g of liver. The nutrient websites don't do the proper testing, that's why it never shows up.

milk_lover

Beef liver in general tastes way worse than lamb liver, at least for me. Lamb liver, if the lamb was slaughtered in the same day, tastes more superior to the old frozen aged cow's liver. I ate the latter in Korea because that's the only thing they have and I had to do many special measures (milk soaking, salt, peppers, onions, butter, etc.) to decrease its awful taste, i.e., to make it eatable! This suffering I don't endure anymore thanks to good (minus PUFA) old-style restaurants in my country. The fresh lamb liver almost tastes like lamb muscle meat.. The list of vitamins/minerals you listed are so small to cover all the benefits liver can offer. There is no vitamin E for example. I saw Peat say liver is a good source of vitamin E. Also, there are other b vitamins in liver like biotin I think. What about choline, does liver also have it? Also, Peat said cow's liver has vitamin K according to Mittir.

Amazoniac

Derek said:
post 112710
Such_Saturation said:
post 112707 Hi!

20mcg selenium
10mg zinc
a few milligrams copper
75000 IU retinyl acetate

I'm sure there are many more things in liver, yet unknown; that contribute to it's overall health benefits. I don't think you can really reduce it down to simply 7 isolated chemicals. I don't eat liver, BTW; but what's your aversion to eating it?
Nucleotides is one of them..

OP
S
Starting to sound expensive :cool: but let's do it.

michael94

hmm gotta check if they have any lamb liver next time I go shopping because I agree, when I had beef liver it was disgusting, made me feel nice after however

XPlus

Well, since you insist, I'll take the critical stand point until narouz comes by this thread.

B12 should be more than abundant when the diet contains some meat.
Also, I don't think iron will be needed because we usually try to get rid of it.
Selenium, Zinc, Copper and Vitmain A seem like the stuff that Peat would usually recommend getting through food rather than supplements.
In don't have very good experience with these 3 in supplemental form.
It's not that I don't get any benefit. I find them the most allergenic of all supplements.
I have to combine my A with some E so that I don't get skin burns.
Se gives me diarrhea.
Copper leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Zinc feels dodgy.

I'd add some K, E and D in a good balance.
Also, some b vitamins.
Carrier should allow for it to be taken dermally.

What's wrong with Estroban and Energin?

icecreamlover said:
post 112737 hmm gotta check if they have any lamb liver next time I go shopping because I agree, when I had beef liver it was disgusting, made me feel nice after however
Freshness is key. After 2-3 days in the fridge, any kind of liver goes disgusting.

OP
S
I think the nutrient should be ten or more times what you would get from the average of your diet, either that or in a special form that has enough of an effect to make it special compared to normal food.

CoolTweetPete

XPlus said:
post 112717 I can think of 75,000 and one reason to not put retinyl acetate through my mouth.
How about freeze dried liver?

Curious why. I (and many others on this forum) take Haidut's Retinil, which I believe is retinyl acetate.

OP
S
Yeah and the next best thing to getting transfusions from a healthy child is eating niacinamide, but where does that leave us :cool:

Giraffe

Beef liver has about 117mcg vitamin K per 100g according to a study linked therepost 84812.

The database I usually check is quite close: 89mcg/100 g.

Wilfrid

Hi Such,

The idea is interesting but as usual when it comes to synthetic vitamins/minerals supplements the interrelationship between those are likely to be problematic.
Vitamin A ( as a supp ) is very unstable and easily oxidized; its oxidation being, among other things, catalyzed by trace metals, notably iron and copper.
Which means that's the amount of vitamin A will quicly deteriorate and can't be counted on.
Too much cobalt can sometimes be problematic for hypothyroid people.
Selenium contains sulfur... and sulfur and cobalt can also interact. In fact, B12 in supplement often react with thiamine ( a sulfur containing vitamin ) and copper to form inactive B12 analogue. And so on....

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals