Does thyroid use up calcium in the body?

D

Derek

mayweatherking said:
post 110514
Derek said:
post 110508
mayweatherking said:
post 110452
Derek said:
post 110445 Mayweatherking,

I think you need to cool out and simplify things a little bit. My first bit of advice would be if something's bothering you stop eating it, whether it's milk, cheese, oysters or coconut oil. Find some foods you tolerate well. It seems you may be over thinking all of this diet stuff. Just try to eat a normal, sound diet. You said milk and cheese are making you itch and you can offset this with coffee, sugar, salt, etc... How about just stop eating milk and cheese for a while and see what happens.

In my opinion Calcium and especially milk suppresses thyroid. That's why you tolerate it better when you consume salt, sugar and caffeine. Maybe you should try to limit dairy, but still consume salt, sugar and coffee or chocolate!

It's not really necessary to consume eggshell to offset phosphorus in milk, or meat for that matter. When you are eating sugar it uses up phosphorus shifting the balance more towards calcium. If you were eating white rice, meat, vegetables and sugar; you're calcium:phosphorus ratio would probably be fine. As long as you got a decent amount from the vegetables.

Rash could also be a histamine reaction to oysters/cheese or a poor zinc/copper balance. I wouldn't recommend oysters. They are too high in copper (for someone who already may have copper issues) and too high in heavy metals. Eat beef or lamb for zinc.

Have you went to a dermatologist for the rash? Or tried any OTC creams for the rash?

I think you should try to concentrate on zinc, manganese, magnesium, potassium and sodium and try to minimize calcium, copper and histamine containing foods. I'm not saying to not eat any calcium or copper, but maybe you shouldn't focus on it. Your history of consuming massive amounts of these 2 minerals probably has you supersaturated with them. Also, eat more calories whether it be sugar or starch.

Zinc - Beef or Lamb or Eggs
Manganese - White Rice, Maple syrup, oatmeal, cinnamon (you can get this all for breakfast in one meal mostly)
Potassium - Potatoes, fruit juice, cooked green vegetables
Magnesium - Cooked green vegetables, potatoes, chocolate or coffee
Salt & Sugar
Calcium - Maybe have some cottage cheese to lower histamine, or just choose vegetables that are high in calcium
Copper - You get more than enough from the above foods

ok wow thanks for the info. i can definitely switch to beef for zinc. so i see the foods you recommend, i can do that, but how do you suggest to combine them? like fruit juice or sugar with the beef? potatoes i can do as well for potassium.. should i take some beef with it though? that's where i'm a little confused, the mixing of sugars with the protein. cottage cheese doesn't agree with me, sea recommended that.. but i got very bad itch. again, it could be the thyroid though and not enough sugar.

here's what's pretty amazing: i never could handle milk.. even with sugar. i seem to handle it better now? i'm not sure. i feel way better when i boosted up my sugar a lot recently. i think it is pretty good. i think if i get your diet with the right protein/carb ratios and do milk maybe 1x a day or something, i might be OK. i seem to be getting way less itch today after using coffee and sugar with the milk.. i think it's giving my body what it needs badly.

As far as sugar/starch with protein for meals, it all depends on your digestion. If you have horrible digestion I would eat starches/sugars and proteins separately. So you may have to eat 6 times or more a day. But, if you have okay digestion than you can eat starches or sugars with protein fine. Again, listen to your body. Does this make sense?

Yes, if you tolerate milk than drink it, that's fine. Milk, coffee and sugar seems to be a good combination for you. However, I wouldn't overdo it. Like don't drink 2-3 quarts of milk a day. Drink milk like a normal person, maybe 2 cups a day. Again, I'm sure you are overloaded with calcium based on your history.

Yes I know what you are saying. Thank you. What do you think about insulin release though and protein needing to be in every meal? Will I be doing myself a disservice by this? I notice sometimes I get an itch if I have some kind of sugar, but it goes away in a little bit. My though process was the protein is taking care of it now, but I don't know.

How is your digestion? If it's okay, then protein with sugar or starch is fine. I don't think it's a disservice to eat starch/sugar and protein separately. Your blood sugar may go up and down, up with the starch/sugar then eat protein and it will go down. But as long as you are eating frequently it should be fine. Of course it's always better to eat complete meals with all the macros, I just recommended separating protein from carbs if you have really bad digestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
mayweatherking
Agent207 said:
post 110525
mayweatherking said:
I just looked up oysters.. zinc looks like it is almost 1:1 zinc to copper
Derek said:
I wouldn't recommend oysters. They are too high in copper

Where do you check zinc:copper ratio for oysters?

cronometer.com but i was mistaken.. i was looking at daily percentage instead of actual mg, i was wrong about the 1:1

OP
mayweatherking
Derek said:
post 110528
mayweatherking said:
post 110514
Derek said:
post 110508
mayweatherking said:
post 110452
Derek said:
post 110445 Mayweatherking,

I think you need to cool out and simplify things a little bit. My first bit of advice would be if something's bothering you stop eating it, whether it's milk, cheese, oysters or coconut oil. Find some foods you tolerate well. It seems you may be over thinking all of this diet stuff. Just try to eat a normal, sound diet. You said milk and cheese are making you itch and you can offset this with coffee, sugar, salt, etc... How about just stop eating milk and cheese for a while and see what happens.

In my opinion Calcium and especially milk suppresses thyroid. That's why you tolerate it better when you consume salt, sugar and caffeine. Maybe you should try to limit dairy, but still consume salt, sugar and coffee or chocolate!

It's not really necessary to consume eggshell to offset phosphorus in milk, or meat for that matter. When you are eating sugar it uses up phosphorus shifting the balance more towards calcium. If you were eating white rice, meat, vegetables and sugar; you're calcium:phosphorus ratio would probably be fine. As long as you got a decent amount from the vegetables.

Rash could also be a histamine reaction to oysters/cheese or a poor zinc/copper balance. I wouldn't recommend oysters. They are too high in copper (for someone who already may have copper issues) and too high in heavy metals. Eat beef or lamb for zinc.

Have you went to a dermatologist for the rash? Or tried any OTC creams for the rash?

I think you should try to concentrate on zinc, manganese, magnesium, potassium and sodium and try to minimize calcium, copper and histamine containing foods. I'm not saying to not eat any calcium or copper, but maybe you shouldn't focus on it. Your history of consuming massive amounts of these 2 minerals probably has you supersaturated with them. Also, eat more calories whether it be sugar or starch.

Zinc - Beef or Lamb or Eggs
Manganese - White Rice, Maple syrup, oatmeal, cinnamon (you can get this all for breakfast in one meal mostly)
Potassium - Potatoes, fruit juice, cooked green vegetables
Magnesium - Cooked green vegetables, potatoes, chocolate or coffee
Salt & Sugar
Calcium - Maybe have some cottage cheese to lower histamine, or just choose vegetables that are high in calcium
Copper - You get more than enough from the above foods

ok wow thanks for the info. i can definitely switch to beef for zinc. so i see the foods you recommend, i can do that, but how do you suggest to combine them? like fruit juice or sugar with the beef? potatoes i can do as well for potassium.. should i take some beef with it though? that's where i'm a little confused, the mixing of sugars with the protein. cottage cheese doesn't agree with me, sea recommended that.. but i got very bad itch. again, it could be the thyroid though and not enough sugar.

here's what's pretty amazing: i never could handle milk.. even with sugar. i seem to handle it better now? i'm not sure. i feel way better when i boosted up my sugar a lot recently. i think it is pretty good. i think if i get your diet with the right protein/carb ratios and do milk maybe 1x a day or something, i might be OK. i seem to be getting way less itch today after using coffee and sugar with the milk.. i think it's giving my body what it needs badly.

As far as sugar/starch with protein for meals, it all depends on your digestion. If you have horrible digestion I would eat starches/sugars and proteins separately. So you may have to eat 6 times or more a day. But, if you have okay digestion than you can eat starches or sugars with protein fine. Again, listen to your body. Does this make sense?

Yes, if you tolerate milk than drink it, that's fine. Milk, coffee and sugar seems to be a good combination for you. However, I wouldn't overdo it. Like don't drink 2-3 quarts of milk a day. Drink milk like a normal person, maybe 2 cups a day. Again, I'm sure you are overloaded with calcium based on your history.

Yes I know what you are saying. Thank you. What do you think about insulin release though and protein needing to be in every meal? Will I be doing myself a disservice by this? I notice sometimes I get an itch if I have some kind of sugar, but it goes away in a little bit. My though process was the protein is taking care of it now, but I don't know.

How is your digestion? If it's okay, then protein with sugar or starch is fine. I don't think it's a disservice to eat starch/sugar and protein separately. Your blood sugar may go up and down, up with the starch/sugar then eat protein and it will go down. But as long as you are eating frequently it should be fine. Of course it's always better to eat complete meals with all the macros, I just recommended separating protein from carbs if you have really bad digestion.

i dont know, id say my digestion is better than it was. my temp seems to be steady 98.6. i feel itching when it is below and i eat something, then it goes up, then i can handle foods better i think. like this morning i ate cheese and apple juice and coffee and salt for afirst meal. itching was there for like 2 mins lightly.. then it went away, most of the itch went away when i drank the coffee, that's a reoccuring thing. then i ate honey to get my temp to 98.6 because it was like 98.2, then i felt ok.

i think if i eat sugar and my temp is below 98.6, i will get scalp itch lol. but when it hits 98.6, it is ok.

okay i understand what you are saying. i will post updates later.

OP
mayweatherking
so i think either the added sugar or hte milk is causing me some serious mental problem. i didnt mention this, but about 2 years ago, i tried peating, but i had to stop because i started feeling like a ******* space cadet. i was so out of it mentally. it was like this brain fog type thing. i cant describe it. i almost felt like i was developing some weird social disorder, like multiple personality disorder or something. it was so weird. anyway, i stopped peating after this because i literally couldnt think straight. i seem to feel like that same feeling is happening to me now. however.. i feel good, like my body feels good, but i feel my brain feeling spacey a little. only the milk and sugar is what i added recently. i think itm ight be the sugar. white sugar.

i got an igg anti body test and it tested me very high for white sugar.. i dk if that means anything or not. dairy also tested high fwiw.

anyone know what this could be?

OP
mayweatherking
holy ******* ***t.. i just drank milk with white sugar, coffee, and honey and literally no itch at all. that is literally the first time this has ever happened. holy ******* ***t. god bless red light. god bless it.

i did this before. i dont know why it is working now. maybe because i just did like a month and a half of only eating honey and chicken everyday all day? lol. i dk how long it has even been that ive been doing it. it had to be at least like 2 or 3 weeks minimum. maybe it is the type of light. i bought a new light yesterday at lowes because i am not at my regular house. maybe it is the type of bulb it is better than what i have used in the past.

tara

Peat generally recommends eating carbs with protein, because protein will stimulate insulin, and if you don't also take in carbs, the insulin can push blood sugar levels low fo people prone to this. This may apply to you.
Pick whichever carbs seem to work for you to have with protein.

I agree with Derek about eating several times a day, and more than 2000 cals, and if 2 quarts of milk doesn't seem to serve you well, try drinking less.

OP
mayweatherking
tara said:
post 110602 Peat generally recommends eating carbs with protein, because protein will stimulate insulin, and if you don't also take in carbs, the insulin can push blood sugar levels low fo people prone to this. This may apply to you.
Pick whichever carbs seem to work for you to have with protein.

I agree with Derek about eating several times a day, and more than 2000 cals, and if 2 quarts of milk doesn't seem to serve you well, try drinking less.

ok cool thanks tara. i will lay low on the milk.

OP
mayweatherking
so i was getting sick of hair loss and i decided to research into some anti prolactin things. i decided to try out b6. i bought some b6 and i have to say this is the most positive effect i've had to any supplement i've ever taken. not only did my hair itching go down, but my libido also surged up as well. also, my temperature BOOSTED THE **** UP. i mean, like really boosted it up. my temperature maintained at 98.6+ all day since i've taken it. evne when i didn't eat for a couple of hours it went up.

i read online that estrogen dominance can cause b6 deficiency. i have gotten estrogen tested in the past and it was really high. the estradiol was really high. my nipples also noticeably got smaller.

does this give any hints to what else i should try? i seem to react better now to milk as well with this nice high temp.

OP
mayweatherking
i believe i may have effects of having too much dopamine in my body at one time. finasteride greatly increases dopamine in the body. i think it causes doapmine excess, then it's possible it supresses b6. maybe that is why i am having such a positive reaction to b6.

Dopamine is a commonly used pressor agent. Frequently recognized side effects other than occasional reports of pedal gangrene respond to reduction of dose. Because a number of compounds interfere with vitamin B6 and dopamine toxicity in animals is modified by B6, we studied the dopamine-vitamin B6 interaction in rabbits. Six animals received 40 mg dopamine/kg and 10 mg pyridoxine injections; 6 received dopamine and saline. Dopamine administration led to an average fall of 20% (p = 0.04) in plasma pyridoxal 5'-phosphate (PLP) levels, which declined 42% by day 5. Three days later, a 25% decrease persisted (p = 0.03). Dopamine with pyridoxine caused a PLP rise of 65% (p = 0.007), but the post-study level was 28% lower than baseline (p = 0.04). We interpret our data to mean that dopamine reduced PLP levels during and 3 days after the study, and that dopamine appeared to increase the requirements for B6. We worry that dopamine given with other drugs, ie gentamicin, digoxin and theophylline which are frequently used in critical care settings, could aggravate alterations of requirements for or body stores of vitamin B6, creating B6 deficiency.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2035239

tara

mayweatherking said:
post 110854 does this give any hints to what else i should try?
Are you consistently eating a reasonable amount of food every day yet? I don't expect anything else to work if you don't do that.
Your cronometer posting from a few days ago shows low in several vitamins and minerals. I think you just took that day, which didn't include thesome more micronutrient dense foods you eat sometimes. How about doing another cronometer with an approximate average day's food for the last week?
Some nutrients are ok to have occasionally, but B-vits are short-term - you need them every day, preferably multiple times a day, not just a big dose once a week.
Not sure how much B6 you are taking, but Peat has said 10mg is a high dose.

Several things can reduce estrogen. No point trying them till you are eating adequately, though, because all the things that improve progesterone:estrogen balance tend to increase metabolism, and that requires more fuel and minerals as well as protein.

And who knows, maybe eating enough food will solve some things directly? It ought to help reduce your general stress levels, which is one of the keys to allowing repair and recovery.

OP
mayweatherking
tara said:
post 111018
mayweatherking said:
post 110854 does this give any hints to what else i should try?
Are you consistently eating a reasonable amount of food every day yet? I don't expect anything else to work if you don't do that.
Your cronometer posting from a few days ago shows low in several vitamins and minerals. I think you just took that day, which didn't include thesome more micronutrient dense foods you eat sometimes. How about doing another cronometer with an approximate average day's food for the last week?
Some nutrients are ok to have occasionally, but B-vits are short-term - you need them every day, preferably multiple times a day, not just a big dose once a week.
Not sure how much B6 you are taking, but Peat has said 10mg is a high dose.

Several things can reduce estrogen. No point trying them till you are eating adequately, though, because all the things that improve progesterone:estrogen balance tend to increase metabolism, and that requires more fuel and minerals as well as protein.

And who knows, maybe eating enough food will solve some things directly? It ought to help reduce your general stress levels, which is one of the keys to allowing repair and recovery.

thanks tara. i think you are right actually, i'm still not eating enough. i've readded milk back in and i seem to be doing OK with it. but i need to definetly eat more i think. i think the carbs are what i need more of actually. i'm going to work on that the next day or 2 and get back to you.

OP
mayweatherking
something is wrong with me. there is something else going on. i don't know what it is, but something is missing or i don't have enough of something. i don't think it is as simple as eating enough or not eating enough. i am eating enough. when i do something like take b6, all of a sudden my system turns online and i can eat foods properly. it's the prolactin or estrogen, they are too high and throwing everything off.

i notice throughout the day, my nipples get bigger and bigger, and now they are very puffy in the evening and all of a sudden, i can't handle the food i'm eating anymore. why when i take b6, my nipples shrink down to very small, then all of a sudden i can handle food very well.

i eat, and my temp stays low. i eat salt, my temp goes up temperaily, i get itchiness in my scalp after eating the salt, i feel a twinge of hunger, i eat again, and then my temperature drops again followed by more scalp itch.

there is something going on with water retention or blood pressure or something. does the salt thing make sense to anyone? sometimes i eat salt, i get a good reaction, other times no like above.

i'm not sure what it is. i am missing some tiny piece of the puzzle.

i'm constantly forcing myself to eat. when i took the b6, i wasn't forcing myself, i was enjoying it. my body is rejecting all food. this isn't i'm not eating enough. something else is wrong.

i also notice when i drank water in the past, i would get scalp itch. i think i may need to use thyroid hormone to get my system back online. i read this from peat:

Since respiratory metabolism, governed by the thyroid hormone, is our main source of carbon dioxide, it's obvious that thyroid deficiency should impair our ability to regulate water and solutes, such as salt. An organism that illustrates this function of thyroid is the young salmon, when it leaves a freshwater river to begin its life in the ocean. As it converts its physiology to tolerate the salty environment, its thyroid hormone surges. When it's mature, and returns to the fresh water to spawn, its prolactin rises sharply. In experiments with rodents, it has been found that drinking a large amount of water increases their prolactin, but the same amount of water, with added salt, doesn't.

something with all that, salt, water, and prolactin, is what my problem is i think.

i didn't have any scalp itch until i ate some salt to try to increase my temperature.... something is going on with it.. i've had this happen many times before... eat salt... scalp itch... or before i peated.. i would drink water and felt scalp itch... i thought it was heavy metals in the water or flouride or something.. i rememebr trying like 10 different brands of water... this has to be why.... hmmmmm..... i have to start bag breathing.. i havent been doing it

here's also something that is incredibely interesting. i notice after urinating sometimes, my nipples will actually get smaller (which is telling me my prolactin is going down i'm going to assume). here's another tidbit from peat:

The typical hypothyroid person loses salt rapidly in the urine (and probably in the sweat, too, though that is usually diagnosed as cystic fibrosis), and retains water, diluting the urine less than normal. The reduced production of carbon dioxide, with increased susceptibility to producing lactate and ammonium, causes the cells to be more alkaline than normal, increasing their affinity for water. The rise of estrogen that usually accompanies hypothyroidism also increases intracellular pH, loss of sodium, and over-hydration of the blood.

if i am losing salt after urinating, why would my prolactin go down (if my nipples get smaller)? it seems like opposite. maybe it is actually water i am losing, and that is causing prolactin to go down, since i am eating more salt now, maybe i have enough salt, but too much water......

So THIS is probably why you can't handle liquids if your thyroid is ***t? Because your body is overloaded on water???? Is that right? lol. wow. I'm going to email ray to clarify this. That's probably why I can't handle OJ or apple juice either to be honest. I dk. I seem to do OK with milk and coffee....

i'm going to try to drink way less liquids tomorrow.. maybe that is why my nipples get bigger... too much water retention bring prolactin up..................................................................... tmi right? lol

tara

If B6 makes you feel good, I'd keep taking it for a while, but just a little, and preferably at least twice a day. Eg take 5-10mg/day, and split into 2 or 3.

Yes, water control can get a bit off when metabolism is low. If you drink when you are thirsty, how much is that? I don't think you have to resist drinking when thirsty, just don't drink lots when you are not thirsty.

It is not surprising that your system is acting stressed and unstable - it has been dealing with a lot of stress, and its resiliency is probably a bit depleted by that. Instead of trying to analyse and micromanage every little wobble, how about focusing on basic nourishment for a couple of months to give it a chance to restore a bit.

You might want to consider some CAUTIOUS thyroid supplementation at some stage. Don't go reading that there have been people who used 6 or 8 grains and assume this is necessary or safe for you. (Most likley you'll need much less than that, if any, and getting way too much can be hazardous. So start small and only incrment after about 3 weeks.) But first I'd try at least a couple of months of eating 3000 cals a day or more of as wide a range of foods as your system can tolerate and enjoy (not PUFA or soy), and cover your micronutrients as best you can tell on a regular basis.

OP
mayweatherking
tara said:
post 111087 If B6 makes you feel good, I'd keep taking it for a while, but just a little, and preferably at least twice a day. Eg take 5-10mg/day, and split into 2 or 3.

Yes, water control can get a bit off when metabolism is low. If you drink when you are thirsty, how much is that? I don't think you have to resist drinking when thirsty, just don't drink lots when you are not thirsty.

It is not surprising that your system is acting stressed and unstable - it has been dealing with a lot of stress, and its resiliency is probably a bit depleted by that. Instead of trying to analyse and micromanage every little wobble, how about focusing on basic nourishment for a couple of months to give it a chance to restore a bit.

You might want to consider some CAUTIOUS thyroid supplementation at some stage. Don't go reading that there have been people who used 6 or 8 grains and assume this is necessary or safe for you. (Most likley you'll need much less than that, if any, and getting way too much can be hazardous. So start small and only incrment after about 3 weeks.) But first I'd try at least a couple of months of eating 3000 cals a day or more of as wide a range of foods as your system can tolerate and enjoy (not PUFA or soy), and cover your micronutrients as best you can tell on a regular basis.

Thanks tara.. I will be careful with it. I wont go overboard.

OP
mayweatherking
Holy ******* ***t guys. I don't want to jinx anything... but my pulse is 102 right now with no thyroid supplements! $!!! $!

Ive been taking b6.. its been making a world of difference. Ive been taking it everyday and it seems to straighten me out I dont know why. I wonder if from when I took the marijuana it severely depleted my b6 due to thr massive surge I dopamine and ive been off since then.

Get this.. I drank 2 milks and 2 ojs today and I took one aspirin and im at 102. One hundred and mother ******* 2 and no super bad itch during initial eating. and i boight the oj and milk at mcdonalds (my only choice atm) And my libido seems to be better. Omg omg omg.

The b6 im taking is not p5p amd its 100mg pills from whole foods.is the limit 10 Tara for p5p or regular b6

docall18

mayweatherking said:
post 112294 Holy f***ing s*** guys. I don't want to jinx anything... but my pulse is 102 right now with no thyroid supplements! $!!! $!

Ive been taking b6.. its been making a world of difference. Ive been taking it everyday and it seems to straighten me out I dont know why. I wonder if from when I took the marijuana it severely depleted my b6 due to thr massive surge I dopamine and ive been off since then.

Get this.. I drank 2 milks and 2 ojs today and I took one aspirin and im at 102. One hundred and mother f***ing 2 and no super bad itch during initial eating. and i boight the oj and milk at mcdonalds (my only choice atm) And my libido seems to be better. Omg omg omg.

The b6 im taking is not p5p amd its 100mg pills from whole foods.is the limit 10 Tara for p5p or regular b6

B6 increases dopamine. B6 is reduced by stress, hypothyroidism, estrogen etc.

OP
mayweatherking
docall18 said:
post 112300
mayweatherking said:
post 112294 Holy f***ing s*** guys. I don't want to jinx anything... but my pulse is 102 right now with no thyroid supplements! $!!! $!

Get this.. I drank 2 milks and 2 ojs today and I took one aspirin and im at 102. One hundred and mother f***ing 2 and no super bad itch during initial eating. and i boight the oj and milk at mcdonalds (my only choice atm) And my libido seems to be better. Omg omg omg.

B6 increases dopamine. B6 is reduced by stress, hypothyroidism, estrogen etc.

What do you mean it increases dopamine? I read it is supressed by dopamime.

tara

mayweatherking said:
post 112294 The b6 im taking is not p5p amd its 100mg pills from whole foods.is the limit 10 Tara for p5p or regular b6
I don't know exactly what the safe limit is. My recollection is that Peat has suggested 10mg is a fairly large dose. Some people may benefit from a bit more, some from less, but it seems like a reasonable place to start. I think there are posts discussing the potential risks with excessive B6, and there is discussion of P5P too. I think neuropathy may be one of the risks of prolonged excess, but I don't know any more about that. Since P5P is supposed to be more bioavalable, I don't see why one would need more of that. If I were you I'd split those tablets into smaller pieces.