Christmas present for some guy named Ray Peat

OP
Dan W

Dan W

Some vague brainstorming to get things started:

• Something CO2 related? I guess a giant CO2 tank would be impractical, but maybe someone can think of some useful accessories.
  • More art supplies, or perhaps a piece of art from someone he admires?
  • A nice capnometer?
  • Something red-light related? Maybe a high-end LED/laser device or one of those crazy light helmets.

Or maybe it should be something more down-to-earth. There were plans to get him this cool axe, but apparently he doesn't need it.

Last edited by a moderator:

XPlus

I like the idea of A Co2 tank setup - a regulator, oxygen mask and a carbonation kit.
The most impractical part might be refilling.

bodacious

Don't buy an artist art supplies. The chances are it won't be their preferred stuff.

How about an ice cream maker?

Ori93

Maybe it would be cool for him to just get all the $ in a check? lol

Hugh Johnson

In one interview he mentioned he has a CO2 tank. As far as Patreon goes, I tried to find out some way of donating, but all I found was a claim that Peat doesn't want donations.

tara

Hugh Johnson said:
post 109767 As far as Patreon goes, I tried to find out some way of donating, but all I found was a claim that Peat doesn't want donations.
I had heard the opposite, just haven't found an easy way to do it from here.

I wonder if a check and an offer to help set up a Patreon account if he wants one might be good?

onioneyedox

I'm pretty sure he would prefer to buy practical things/gadgets according to his own preferences. Like he said he doesn't need an axe, and he knows it. Maybe he has minimalistic tendencies too. Maybe it's just me, but I would prefer to give to people that age art, or say something handmade or special according his hobbies or interests. Or just food, books, music for just a regular Christmas present.

For Ray, I don't know, maybe something like this Great Blue Heron bit pricey maybe :) (just looked for glass art)
or maybe a design glass vase or sculpture. Or some other art. And remainder as a donation.

OP
Dan W

Dan W

Rachel e-mailed Peat to check on gift ideas, so maybe he'll help us out.

I've updated the original post with Bryan's donation page.

Lin

Artists love art books, and paintings by artists they admire. William Blake, books, well illustrated. and/or painting. Blake reproductions are easy to find. Peat probably already has some of the books...

An original painting would be ideal! Probably hard to find... and expensive, Expect to pay at least $5000. But an original would have a special energy, having been touched by Blake himself.

onioneyedox

I would like this more if this was done on some open platform (such as fundanything.com or gofundme.com) rather than through private paypal address. I don't think any campaign or management is needed just for transparency. Imo it's needed in internet, especially if they want to encourage many people to participate.

How about we just send him the money so that we can allow his own internal guidance system to dictate how best to spend it.

supercoolguy

I have been tinkering with the gift idea myself. Register a Starbucks gift card just for RP. People can transfer Starbucks funds from their Starbucks card right to his. It's easy and affordable ($3-5 or more) way to say Thanks Ray! Anybody can participate and buy RP a cup of coffee!

As mentioned by others, Patreon is the best idea thus far.

If someone trustworthy can get into contact with Peat and help him set it up, this small community can easily cover his monthly expenses and the contributions would probably exceed his current newsletter revenue.

He's already mentioned that his books are currently being digitised so he should be open to the idea of providing online access, through Patreon, to his monthly newsletters.

Helping him setup a Patreon is the best gift.