"Cataracts Are Twice As Common In Men Over The Age Of 65, Who Took Big Supplements Of Vit. E And Vit

“The antioxidants in our body have to fit together with uric acid which is naturally there, and enzymes which naturally break down free radicals. And if you put things in that don’t fit, apparent antioxidants in a test tube can become a pro-oxidant in a body. Things have to fit together, so that vitamin A and vitamin E are locked together and vitamin E and vit. C locked together, Uric acid and vit.C locked together and the glucose and other sugars have to be streaming through the systems of enzymes turning into carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide has to be flowing out of the cells properly. The whole antioxidant system is really one piece and if you try to staff in any super-antioxidants like they’re selling as health products, you’re likely to create more oxidation than you had without it. Recent publication saw that cataracts are twice as common in men over the age of 65, who took big supplements of vit. E and vit. C. Almost doubled their rate of cataracts.” - Peat

http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/1 ... tioxidant/

Nicholas

thanks, westside.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/04/09/us/ta ... finds.html

"''The vitamin C in supplements mobilizes harmless ferric iron stored in the body and converts it to harmful ferrous iron, which induces damage to the heart and other organs,'' Dr. Herbert said in an interview.

''Unlike the vitamin C naturally present in foods like orange juice, vitamin C as a supplement is not an antioxidant,'' Dr. Herbert said. ''It's a redox agent -- an antioxidant in some circumstances and a pro-oxidant in others.''

In contrast, vitamin C naturally present in food, he said, has no oxidizing effects.

Vitamin C supplements in large doses have been linked to genetic damage as far back as the mid-1970's. In a study then, Canadian researchers found that use of the vitamin in doses larger than in the British study, but not much larger than the amounts some people take to ward off colds and the flu, damaged genetic material in three systems: bacterial cells, human cells grown in test tubes, and live mice."

I find this a little odd, the wording. "vitamin c present in food" It seems like they're saying ascorbic acid releases the iron, but vitamin c in food (Peat has said that vitamin C in food is different than ascorbic acid) doesn't? As someone that needs to get more vitamin C in their diet, i wonder if taking a whole foods C would be better....like this one below? or i wonder if it's about the 500mg dosage.... (?)

http://www.amazon.com/Nutrigold-Vitamin ... g=f038b-20

brandonk

Westside PUFAs said:
post 109299 “The antioxidants in our body have to fit together with uric acid which is naturally there, and enzymes which naturally break down free radicals. And if you put things in that don’t fit, apparent antioxidants in a test tube can become a pro-oxidant in a body. Things have to fit together, so that vitamin A and vitamin E are locked together and vitamin E and vit. C locked together, Uric acid and vit.C locked together and the glucose and other sugars have to be streaming through the systems of enzymes turning into carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide has to be flowing out of the cells properly. The whole antioxidant system is really one piece and if you try to staff in any super-antioxidants like they’re selling as health products, you’re likely to create more oxidation than you had without it. Recent publication saw that cataracts are twice as common in men over the age of 65, who took big supplements of vit. E and vit. C. Almost doubled their rate of cataracts.” - Peat

This may be the purported study:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23420353

Last edited by a moderator:

ejalrp

Note in the above study that they found that taking a multivitamin did not associate with cataracts. Also it is possible that they were not supplementing with gamma tocopherol as well and it has been clear for many years that you must take a full spectrum E.

lvysaur

Not to mention that most vitamin E doesn't have the same properties as old E.

YuraCZ

Synthetic Ascorbic acid is a bad idea I agree completely. I will never ever take this crap again. Only whole food vit C like acerola- camu camu powder etc.. In the case of vitamin E. I'm not so sure. Synthetic form is not healthy that's for sure, but vit E made by extraction from plants isn't that bad. Maybe..

Koveras

Peat from 'Nutrition for Women'

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 10.31.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 10.31.13 AM.png
    174.8 KB · Views: 237

Koveras

Peat from 'Nutrition for Women'

"α-Tocopherol is the principal source of vitamin E, an essential nutrient that plays a crucial role in maintaining healthy brain function. Infant formula is routinely supplemented with synthetic α-tocopherol, a racaemic mixture of eight stereoisomers with less bioactivity than the natural stereoisomer RRR-α-tocopherol. α-Tocopherol stereoisomer profiles have not been previously reported in the human brain. In the present study, we analysed total α-tocopherol and α-tocopherol stereoisomers in the frontal cortex (FC), hippocampus (HPC) and visual cortex (VC) of infants (n 36) who died of sudden infant death syndrome or other conditions. RRR-α-tocopherol was the predominant stereoisomer in all brain regions (P<0·0001) and samples, despite a large intra-decedent range in total α-tocopherol (5–17 μg/g). Mean RRR-α-tocopherol concentrations in FC, HPC and VC were 10·5, 6·8 and 5·5 μg/g, respectively. In contrast, mean levels of the synthetic stereoisomers were RRS, 1–1·5; RSR, 0·8–1·0; RSS, 0·7–0·9; and Σ2S 0·2–0·3 μg/g. Samples from all but two decedents contained measurable levels of the synthetic stereoisomers, but the intra-decedent variation was large. The ratio of RRR:the sum of the synthetic 2R stereoisomers (RRS+RSR+RSS) averaged 2·5, 2·3 and 2·4 in FC, HPC and VC, respectively, and ranged from 1 to at least 4·7, indicating that infant brain discriminates against synthetic 2R stereoisomers in favour of RRR. These findings reveal that RRR-α-tocopherol is the predominant stereoisomer in infant brain. These data also indicate that the infant brain discriminates against the synthetic 2R stereoisomers, but is unable to do so completely. On the basis of these findings, investigation into the impact of α-tocopherol stereoisomers on neurodevelopment is warranted."

British Journal of Nutrition - The naturally occurring <i>α</i>-tocopherol stereoisomer RRR-<i>α</i>-tocopherol is predominant in the human infant brain - Cambridge Journals Online

Birdie

“The antioxidants in our body have to fit together with uric acid which is naturally there, and enzymes which naturally break down free radicals. And if you put things in that don’t fit, apparent antioxidants in a test tube can become a pro-oxidant in a body. Things have to fit together, so that vitamin A and vitamin E are locked together and vitamin E and vit. C locked together, Uric acid and vit.C locked together and the glucose and other sugars have to be streaming through the systems of enzymes turning into carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide has to be flowing out of the cells properly. The whole antioxidant system is really one piece and if you try to staff in any super-antioxidants like they’re selling as health products, you’re likely to create more oxidation than you had without it. Recent publication saw that cataracts are twice as common in men over the age of 65, who took big supplements of vit. E and vit. C. Almost doubled their rate of cataracts.” - Peat

Only just now saw this. I don't take C, but do take E. Many years of E at 800IU... Always took off one week a month, but something to consider. Possibly taking too much. Is Ray saying not to take A at the same time with E? I seem to recall that. I was dxd with cataracts 15 years ago, and about 1 year ago again. Took measures and they receded.

mnl

Only just now saw this. I don't take C, but do take E. Many years of E at 800IU... Always took off one week a month, but something to consider. Possibly taking too much. Is Ray saying not to take A at the same time with E? I seem to recall that. I was dxd with cataracts 15 years ago, and about 1 year ago again. Took measures and they receded.
What measures did you take?
How are they now?

Birdie

What measures did you take?
How are they now?
I think it was forum member Mitter who told me to use Can-C. I used those drops for quite a long time. At my next appointment the guy, a new doc, said there was no evidence of cataracts, However I was just looking at old records, I think since that time the notes say "mild" and I think "early senile sclerosis".

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals