Sugar Is Better For PUFA Depletion Than Starch

haidut

Forum Supporter
The study looked at the effects of different carbs on PUFA status for animals fed saturated fat. Both starch and sucrose contributed to PUFA depletion, but only the sucrose group had lower levels of arachidonic acid (which is implicated in the pathology of diabetes).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4094517

"...After two wk, rats fed the sucrose/hydrogenated coconut oil diet developed some characteristic features of EFA deprivation: slower growth rate, decreases in linoleic and arachidonic acid of plasma phospholipids and an increase in n-9 eicosatrienoic acid of plasma phospholipids. When rats ate the starch/hydrogenated coconut oil diet, there was a similar decrease in linoleic acid of plasma phospholipids, but only a small effect on growth rate and no change in the arachidonic acid content of plasma phospholipids."

bodacious

Thanks for sharing Haidut. I can't access the article, just the abstract and your quote.

Do you think it's significant that hydrogenated oils were used in this study?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
bodacious said:
post 108557 Thanks for sharing Haidut. I can't access the article, just the abstract and your quote.

Do you think it's significant that hydrogenated oils were used in this study?

I think the hydrogenation turned coconut oil into fully saturated fat, as it is normally "only" 98% saturated. So, I would expect the hydrogenated version to cause EFA deficiency even faster but overall the effects are probably not statistically different from regular coconut oil. If the studies are pressed for time then use hydrogenated oils to induce EFA deficiency faster so this is one possible reason for the use of hydrogenated oil in this one.

johnwester130

how much PUFA did they have before the study ?

and what did it come from ?

Marvel

Is the implication here that fructose is better than glucose for reducing PUFA?

It seems like the sucrose increased the VLDL more than starch, so perhaps the fructose is required in using PUFA for LDL? Are there any potential problems in increasing LDL (it's often called the "bad cholesterol")?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
johnwester130 said:
post 108730 how much PUFA did they have before the study ?

and what did it come from ?

The rats ate 12g food per day, and there were two groups. Both groups consumed 50% of calories as fat and one group ate corn oil and the other hydrogenated coconut oil. Don't know what the rats were eating before the study, but was probably standard chow that is about 60% PUFA.

Luann

Sugar is partially made of fructose, where starch has no fructose, and fructose builds cholesterol in the body. Is this how you think the depletion happens, Haidut (cholesterol causes the PUFA to be lower?) Seems legit.

Also, starch itself has a bit of fat in it most of the time, would depend on the starch, but if it's like corn starch, it would have some fat.

DaveFoster

The study looked at the effects of different carbs on PUFA status for animals fed saturated fat. Both starch and sucrose contributed to PUFA depletion, but only the sucrose group had lower levels of arachidonic acid (which is implicated in the pathology of diabetes).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4094517

"...After two wk, rats fed the sucrose/hydrogenated coconut oil diet developed some characteristic features of EFA deprivation: slower growth rate, decreases in linoleic and arachidonic acid of plasma phospholipids and an increase in n-9 eicosatrienoic acid of plasma phospholipids. When rats ate the starch/hydrogenated coconut oil diet, there was a similar decrease in linoleic acid of plasma phospholipids, but only a small effect on growth rate and no change in the arachidonic acid content of plasma phospholipids."
Interesting study; thanks for posting. Maybe it has to do with greater expression of UCP2?

Also, I believe you cited a 1.5 g PUFA/day as the maximal "essential" amount, if such a thing existed. You mentioned after this your chances of developing cancers goes up dramatically.

Would you say that 1.5 g or so is "safe" and that one should aim for this number (with plenty of saturated fat) if longevity is the goal?

Also, on the topic of longevity, do you have a thread on methionine depletion? BCAA's and niacinamide should deplete methionine and extend lifespan as well, correct?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Interesting study; thanks for posting. Maybe it has to do with greater expression of UCP2?

Also, I believe you cited a 1.5 g PUFA/day as the maximal "essential" amount, if such a thing existed. You mentioned after this your chances of developing cancers goes up dramatically.

Would you say that 1.5 g or so is "safe" and that one should aim for this number (with plenty of saturated fat) if longevity is the goal?

Also, on the topic of longevity, do you have a thread on methionine depletion? BCAA's and niacinamide should deplete methionine and extend lifespan as well, correct?

The study on essentiality says 0.5% of calories, which in a 2,000 calorie diet would be a bit over 1g of PUFA daily. I think I posted that study on the forum somewhere.
As far as methionine depletion, glycine truly depletes methionine and niacinamide does too. BCAA inhibit methionine absorption from food in the GI tract. So, a little gelatin combined with BCAA can go a long way towards health.

Amazoniac

The study on essentiality says 0.5% of calories, which in a 2,000 calorie diet would be a bit over 1g of PUFA daily. I think I posted that study on the forum somewhere.
haidut, you mentioned somewhere a long time ago that Ray changed a bit his views on their essentiality. Where did you see that change in his writings?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
haidut, you mentioned somewhere a long time ago that Ray changed a bit his views on their essentiality. Where did you see that change in his writings?

He changed his views from saying they were barely essential to absolutely unessential. I think I read that in one of his earliest books, maybe "PMS to Menopause". In it he was saying keep PUFA very low but because they are labeled as essential you may need a gram or two a day. Later on, he changed that view to basically saying PUFA intake should be zero and all the PUFA you need you can synthesize yourself as Mead acid.

Amazoniac

He changed his views from saying they were barely essential to absolutely unessential. I think I read that in one of his earliest books, maybe "PMS to Menopause". In it he was saying keep PUFA very low but because they are labeled as essential you may need a gram or two a day. Later on, he changed that view to basically saying PUFA intake should be zero and all the PUFA you need you can synthesize yourself as Mead acid.
Thanks!
Why in studies they don't just lay the actual amount that's needed for the animals tested, instead of percentages of calories? Isn't it something constant regardless of how many calories the animals eat?

DaveFoster

As far as methionine depletion, glycine truly depletes methionine and niacinamide does too. BCAA inhibit methionine absorption from food in the GI tract. So, a little gelatin combined with BCAA can go a long way towards health.
Nice; all the more reason to eat gelatin. Thanks, haidut.

Luann

How much glycine are we talking

Rats don't know how to cook starch. Also, be careful about BCAA supplements as many of them come from ground up chicken feathers which don't seem like a good source.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Rats don't know how to cook starch. Also, be careful about BCAA supplements as many of them come from ground up chicken feathers which don't seem like a good source.

Agreed. Most BCAA sold in the vitamin stores come from very suspect sources. You can buy synthetic versions, which are pretty pure and sold by pharmacies online, but they are of course several times more expensive.