WEIRD Spectracell results

messtafarian

So three weeks ago I got some blood taken and sent it to Spectracell, which is this place that will do a full "micronutrient panel" on various nutrients they can find in sera. I was not deficient in any vitamin or mineral, and as far as you can trust these things they said my "immune system" was fine.

However they found deficiencies in these things

L-Carnitine

and

Alpha Lipoic Acid.

Now I have never heard of a "deficiency in either of these things and I have no idea what it could possibly mean. I do know that ALA has to do with nerve health and L-Carnitine helps with neuromuscular support -- both of these things are problems for me.

But what could these "deficiencies" mean? Really puzzling.

Interactome

messtafarian said:
post 107671 However they found deficiencies in these things

L-Carnitine

and

Alpha Lipoic Acid.

Hi. Do you have some numbers on the carnitine data? I also had some taken and am not sure weather I have something off there or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

messtafarian

The spectracell test is really hard to read. All it said was it was "less than 7 percent" of healthy people. What numbers do you have? Maybe I can help you figure it out.

Interactome

messtafarian said:
post 108798 The spectracell test is really hard to read. All it said was it was "less than 7 percent" of healthy people. What numbers do you have? Maybe I can help you figure it out.

Total carnitine: 31 umol/l (30-70)
Free carnitine: 26 umol/l (20-55)

But my doc thinks it's ok. I read something on the web that if total < 40 then there could be some deficiency, but the lab range says something different. Also, online it says something about the ratio of free/total should be < 0.4, but again, my doc says it's only if one of the numbers is outside the specified range. So, I don't really know.

Have you had any symptoms indicating low carnitine?

I don't know if I should supplement or not. I'm dealing with a bunch of other problems right now, so I think I'll wait.

OP
M

messtafarian

I have had unending symptoms indicating low carnitine. I have muscle wasting at the hips and shoulders, perceived weakness, shakes and twitches -- and I also have a little cardiomyopathy, blurred vision, hepatomegaly now apparently.

I know you might be worried about your heart in relation to carnitine but I agree with your doc, it seems ok. Supplementing with ALCAR is not dangerous and you might not even notice any effect ( I sure haven't) but Peat is not a fan of carnitine since it is a thyroid antagonist. This makes sense, because if there is not enough carnitine most likely there is an internal condition (muscle wasting, cardiomyopathy) that could benefit from assuming a "sick" metabolism and burning less of it.

I agree, don't worry about this for now.

Interactome

messtafarian said:
post 108833 I have had unending symptoms indicating low carnitine. I have muscle wasting at the hips and shoulders, perceived weakness, shakes and twitches -- and I also have a little cardiomyopathy, blurred vision, hepatomegaly now apparently.

I know you might be worried about your heart in relation to carnitine but I agree with your doc, it seems ok. Supplementing with ALCAR is not dangerous and you might not even notice any effect ( I sure haven't) but Peat is not a fan of carnitine since it is a thyroid antagonist. This makes sense, because if there is not enough carnitine most likely there is an internal condition (muscle wasting, cardiomyopathy) that could benefit from assuming a "sick" metabolism and burning less of it.

I agree, don't worry about this for now.

Ok.

How about genetic "defects" relating to metabolism. I posted something in my thread about a possible PFKM mutation inhibiting glucose metabolism.
I also have a missense homozygous SNP (rs2286963) in ACADL (Long-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase), though I don't know if it leads to long-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency. There's more on it here: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/945857-overview

How about something like that, does it fit with your symptoms?

Interactome

messtafarian said:
post 108833 I know you might be worried about your heart in relation to carnitine but I agree with your doc, it seems ok. Supplementing with ALCAR is not dangerous and you might not even notice any effect ( I sure haven't) but Peat is not a fan of carnitine since it is a thyroid antagonist. This makes sense, because if there is not enough carnitine most likely there is an internal condition (muscle wasting, cardiomyopathy) that could benefit from assuming a "sick" metabolism and burning less of it.

I do have some hypertrophy according to the last cardio visit. MTCs would then not need carnitine to be metabolised, so more coconut oil (63% <= C12, 27% >= C14). Unless one also has some ACADM mutations. Eating some metabolism lowering beef and lamb might then cover ones carnitine needs if there were any issues.

OP
M

messtafarian

I don't think so. I think the "deficiency" is secondary. When I was a kid I was pretty sturdy and ate well, did not have seizures or blood sugar problems. I think mine has got to be secondary to something.