Doctor Gave Me Slow Release T3, Do I Take It?

yoshiesque

I have been given prescription for slow release T3. He is not doing this randomly. He is an integrative doctor specializing in thyroid disorders. I called the chemist up and he already knew the doctor and the prescription, so looks like the doctor prescribes t3 regularly to patients.

but its slow release T3, 2.5mg. The slow release chemical is called Methocel k100.

I could go back and see him to request for non slow release but wont be able to for 1-2 weeks, so question is..should I just take this one?

tara

yoshiesque said:
post 106609 but its slow release T3, 2.5mg. The slow release chemical is called Methocel k100.

How slow - how often does he want you to take it?

2.5 mg T3 looks like a three month dose to me. Unless the other chemicals render most of it ineffective. Or unless it's 2.5 mcg? In which case it's a fairly low dose if it's for a whole day. I don't know anything about Methocel. I think Peat has said the slow release ones he was aware of were a bit unpredictable in how they released it. If it's only 2.5 mcg, that might not be a big risk. Next time it might be worth trying to get some that's not slow release, and dose it tiny as you go through the day.

Did he prescribe this based on an rT3 test?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Y

yoshiesque

100 tablets @ 2.5mcg each. He wants me to start with one a day, one hour before meals or two hours after a meal, in the morning. Then work up to 3x a day if i feel better.

No, I still need to do the rT3 test. But he is okay with me trying it before rT3 test if I want to.

Yeah I saw RP saying the following:

I have only rarely talked to anyone who had good results with the so-called time-release T3, and I have seen analyses of some samples in which there was little or no T3 present. It is hard to compound T3 properly, and the conditions of each person's digestive system can determine whether the T3 is released all at once, or not at all. I don't think there is a valid scientific basis for calling anything "time-release T3."

However this doctor I go to has been in the integrative medicine field for 2 decades, constantly giving slow release T3 to many patients. And the pharmacist he goes to has told me that he has never had a prescription for normal T3, only slow release T3. They are both open to T3 for health so they do have a good idea of whats going on. But yeah id personally rather take a non slow-release.

Anyway in the end I got the tablets, will try it tomorrow.

answersfound

Here's the question you need to ask yourself. Is the supplement/medication in alignment with your belief system? It may sound stupid, but this is important. I recently had to make a decision about iron supplementation as my doctor was recommending I do so. I decided not to, because it felt forced and I felt I was just doing it because I wanted to "give it a shot." But eventually I came to the conclusion that the peat community does not advise doing so, and even ray actually said my iron stores were fine. So most people would call me crazy for not following the advice of my medical doctor, but I had to make the decision that was consistent with my belief system. So I recommend you do your research and become informed about how the slow release t3 works and what rays views are regarding it. Also, maybe it's not ideal, but it still could be effective for you.

treelady

I was on 15mcg time release T3 (along w/90mg Armour thyroid) for years. After reading Peat, I asked the doctor to prescribe lower dose T3 pills I could take throughout the day instead the time release. That works much better for me. I wasn't getting any benefit from the time release.

OP
Y

yoshiesque

treelady said:
post 106801 I was on 15mcg time release T3 (along w/90mg Armour thyroid) for years. After reading Peat, I asked the doctor to prescribe lower dose T3 pills I could take throughout the day instead the time release. That works much better for me. I wasn't getting any benefit from the time release.

Yeah you had a pretty high dose. I was given 2.5mcg and was told to take it 3x/day. So not sure why its even slow release since its only 2.5mcg.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rivka

It's been a few years now, how did you go on the time released T3?

I'm curious too. I've been reading blanchard's book on treating hypothyroidism, and he did clinical practice and had great results with 1.2 mcg slow release t3. I just got 1 mcg capsules compounded, but they weren't time release, but I have methocel I could add.

I will say that Ray's skepticism might be founded, but blanchard had a lot of happy patients and adherents precisely because he got clinical results, especially in people who had generally normal blood levels. It goes against a lot of ray's theories, but I know a few people on ME/CFS forums who burned out on Ray-style thyroid doses/ratios, and did well only with the strange ratio that blanchard uses.

I am curious to try it. Also curious if ray has ideas of other things besides methocel (methylcelllulose?) that would be better/healthier time release matrices

I tried my first dose of slow release t3. It immediately had a poor effect on my digestion/felt bloating.

I was tempted to disagree with peat on this one, given how many people suggest slow release t3, but I don't think it's very good. Maybe there are other compounds than methocel that might be better for slow release? I could ask peat

tankasnowgod

I tried my first dose of slow release t3. It immediately had a poor effect on my digestion/felt bloating.

I was tempted to disagree with peat on this one, given how many people suggest slow release t3, but I don't think it's very good. Maybe there are other compounds than methocel that might be better for slow release? I could ask peat

I don't think much of any drug or supplement labeled "slow release" at this point. All they are is binders that supposedly delay the release of the substance (whatever that is). Depending on the person and their state, it may indeed work that way, or it may be digested and used all at once, or it may not be digested and utilized at all. My personal experience with anything "slow released" is that last one, not utilized at all. Basically anything labeled "Slow Release" is a total crapshoot.

It was more like delayed release than slow release. hit me at 2 hours in. Anyway, with how weak I am at this point, I worry about the methocell effect on my digestion, but I do think the dose range (based on blanchard protocol) is better for me than the ones ray recommends, so I may try and figure out a way to dose sub 1mcg doses without the methocell.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals