Sour OJ

scarlettsmum

What to do with OJ from unripe sour oranges? Just bought some freshly squeezed unpasteurised OJ treated with high pressure instead of pasteurisation (whatever that means), however it tastes sour it's giving me sore tongue. :( Is it to be thrown out or can it be improved somehow, perhaps by adding sugar, maple syrup??
Unfortunately it's difficult even when squeezing oranges by myself, since you never know how sweet they are. I feel a safer bet would be juicing apples instead, as certain varieties are always sure to be sweet.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Sweet apple juice sounds like a much better choice. :D

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

yes, probably . :) It's just that I bought 10L/quarts of this sour OJ and it pains me to chuck it out. :(

tara

Add baking soda to OJ in the glass and see if you can get it to taste good, and try a different brand next time. I got a few litres of one I can't get myself to drink. The one I now use regularly still needs some baking soda (at least 1tsp/l) to taste and feel good to me, and I don't want more than a litre a day of it at most at the moment. And try apple and other juices.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

tara said:
post 106215 Add baking soda to OJ in the glass and see if you can get it to taste good, and try a different brand next time. I got a few litres of one I can't get myself to drink. The one I now use regularly still needs some baking soda (at least 1tsp/l) to taste and feel good to me, and I don't want more than a litre a day of it at most at the moment. And try apple and other juices.

Tara, interesting about adding baking soda to OJ. I haven't really read much about the benefits of baking soda yet. If I'm right something to do with CO2 ? Anyhow I'm guessing here it is to lower the acidity of OJ ?

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

I put it in OJ to reduce the acidity.
I think straight baking soda in water may have different effects in the body - I expect the OJ would basically neutralise it (producing CO2 bubbles in the process).

Dean

I think I'm giving up on oj. Not much of anything agrees with me better than raw oj when the oranges are ripe, but I've dumped the last 6 half gallons I've bought from the upscale grocery store that squeezes fresh daily. The first time the oranges were so unripe that I got a terrible stomach ache. The last two times I bought some, the smell of rotten eggs was overpowering when I opened the container. Gassed oranges, I assume.

milk_lover

I think I'm giving up on oj. Not much of anything agrees with me better than raw oj when the oranges are ripe, but I've dumped the last 6 half gallons I've bought from the upscale grocery store that squeezes fresh daily. The first time the oranges were so unripe that I got a terrible stomach ache. The last two times I bought some, the smell of rotten eggs was overpowering when I opened the container. Gassed oranges, I assume.
I figured I don't need to write a new post about OJ. I will write my thoughts here.

I am like Dean. I am giving up on OJ. It always gives me trouble. I am in a dessert country. Most of the fruits are imported from outside, so they come here very unripe waiting in stores to be picked up by people. I don't see why giving up on them (except when I find in-season ripe OJ when I am traveling) would be very harmful for my body. Any thoughts?

I will make a last experiment and try to find Dole OJ (mentioned in toxinless to be free of the bad stuff) and see how it agrees with me.

Last edited:

Agent207

What about mixing it with magnesium bicarbonate? I like sea salt, and adding baking soda may be too much sodium?

Oj caused sore mouth and the start of ulcerations there. I eliminated on and added more k2 and they went away. I'm avoiding oj now. Even ripe orange oj is a problem for me

milk_lover

What about mixing it with magnesium bicarbonate? I like sea salt, and adding baking soda may be too much sodium?
I don't know why some people try so hard to make OJ agree with them by adding stuff to it like baking soda. If by itself it doesn't taste good (e.g., sour OJ), I wouldn't touch it. You can get OJ nutrition from other sources (sucrose, other fruits, etc.). OJ was simply chosen by Peat because it's not heavily adulterated (well at least in the past when this recommendation of his surfaced) and cheap.

Oj caused sore mouth and the start of ulcerations there. I eliminated on and added more k2 and they went away. I'm avoiding oj now. Even ripe orange oj is a problem for me
yeah I hear ya. I am doing the same thing right now. Will test if my life suffers without OJ :wink

tara

I don't think anyone should persist with OJ if it tastes bad or if they can tell it gives any unwanted symptoms.

I don't know why some people try so hard to make OJ agree with them by adding stuff to it like baking soda. If by itself it doesn't taste good (e.g., sour OJ), I wouldn't touch it.

You may be right. Adding baking soda isn't hard or I wouldn't do it - it's no harder than adding sugar or milk to coffee. But I still have some concern that there might be excess citrate or something else in there even after the neutralising reaction.
I really wish I had a better understanding of basic chemistry, so I could figure/find out what happens with such additions.

Now you've got me wondering what the product would be of adding Mg hydroxide?

Peater Piper

OJ was simply chosen by Peat because it's not heavily adulterated (well at least in the past when this recommendation of his surfaced) and cheap.
It's also very nutritious. Other common juices like apple and grape juice don't even come close in terms of overall vitamin and mineral content. Unfortunately it seems to be quite allergenic, which can negate a lot of the benefit.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals