PUFA Causes Hypoxia And Hypoxia ALWAYS Causes Cancer

haidut

Forum Supporter
Fairly recent study, with a good review of the role of PUFA in the hypoxia that, if maintained chronically, always leads to cancer.

Chronic cellular hypoxia as the prime cause of cancer: what is the de-oxygenating role of adulterated and improper ratios of polyunsaturated fatty ... - PubMed - NCBI

"...With the exception of melanoma and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, the incidence of cancer has peaked in the last several years, but rates and mortality are still high. Moreover, despite 50 years of intensive cancer research increasingly focused on genetic causes, no single unifying cause for cancer has been established. Although it is well-known that tumors are hypoxic, and that there is a correlation between the level of hypoxia and prognosis, with the exception of Warburg's studies, little work has been done to investigate the relationship between hypoxia and cancer. Over 70 years ago, Warburg showed that cells could always be made cancerous by subjecting them to periods of hypoxia. Moreover, he demonstrated that once cells had converted to a cancerous state, reversion could not occur. Modern biochemistry acknowledges that there is a switch from oxidative phosphorylation to glycolysis in tumors that might be concurrent with hypoxia, but does not address the cancer causation. It is our hypothesis that long-term hypoxia of cells in the body, measured in years, is the primary trigger for cancer. We believe that the hypoxia, which has to meet Warburg's findings of a critical 35% reduction in intracellular oxygen levels to initiate cancer, is linked to the incorporation of adulterated, non-oxygenating, or inappropriate polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) into the phospholipids of cell and mitochondrial membranes. Such incorporation causes changes in membrane properties that impair oxygen transmission into the cell. Trans fats, partially oxidized PUFA entities, and inappropriate omega-6:eek:mega-3 ratios are all potential sources of unsaturated fatty acids that can disrupt the normal membrane structure. In this paper, we explore this hypothesis by examining the evidence, and additionally propose an appropriate PUFA dosage for humans by analyzing requirements and taking into account current PUFA consumption patterns."

Last edited:

Ideonaut

Excellent info, thanks! Hopefully this part "Moreover, he demonstrated that once cells had converted to a cancerous state, reversion could not occur" is not correct. How could Warburg have demonstrated this negative? I'm skeptical.

Suikerbuik

Would love to see the full text, but nothing new I guess? Look at the writer of this article.

In response to brump, I wonder about that too and like you remain skeptical. I am almost sure that it can be reversed in optimal conditions.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Suikerbuik said:
post 105596 Would love to see the full text, but nothing new I guess? Look at the writer of this article.

In response to brump, I wonder about that too and like you remain skeptical. I am almost sure that it can be reversed in optimal conditions.

Yes, it is the same author but this study was not retracted so I decided to post it. I also think the study was written by the second guy. The format is typically to list the sponsor/PI first and study authors last.
As far as the irreversibility, it is known that large, aged, normotoxic tumor can regress completely. It is rare, but the fact that has happened without any medical intervention I think shows that it is NOT irreversible.
Finally, the study is attached for review.

Attachments

• hypoxia_cancer.pdf
    111.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited by a moderator:

Suikerbuik

Thanks Haidut.

So an hypothesis without any model except referring to other studies.
Considering Ray's stance on cell membranes, PUFA and the mechanism proposed how LA 'oxygenates' cells, my skepticism is fueled even more. Look at what he says in the study:
Several studies point to PUFA deficiency as a promoter of tumorigenesis
One study [60] is questionable and contradicted by more recent (well performed) studies, and the other [59] doesn't even involve tumorigenesis.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Suikerbuik said:
post 105602 Thanks Haidut.

So an hypothesis without any model except referring to other studies.
Considering Ray's stance on cell membranes, PUFA and the mechanism proposed how LA 'oxygenates' cells, my skepticism is fueled even more. Look at what he says in the study:
Several studies point to PUFA deficiency as a promoter of tumorigenesis
One study [60] is questionable and contradicted by more recent (well performed) studies, and the other [59] doesn't even involve tumorigenesis.

Lol, thanks for pointing it out. Well, I guess the guy is BS-ing some of the time and that's why his PUFA study was retracted probably. He also sells "parent essential oil", which are pure LA/ALA. But the reasoning in his overall theory strikes a correct-ish note. He even said that PUFA like LA/ALA will also cause cancer and CVD but only when oxidized, and provided some references on that. I posted his studies mostly for the references he has on fish oil and increased cancer mortality from them.

tara

brumpfschmlog said:
post 105589 Excellent info, thanks! Hopefully this part "Moreover, he demonstrated that once cells had converted to a cancerous state, reversion could not occur" is not correct. How could Warburg have demonstrated this negative? I'm skeptical.

I had an idea that he demonstrated that just restoring oxygen supply to the cells was not enough to reverse the conversion to cancerous cells that was initially caused by hypoxia? Not that he demonstrated that there were no conditions that could reverse them? Others have demonstrated reversal in vitro at least, as well as the various in vivo anecdotes.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
tara said:
post 106033
brumpfschmlog said:
post 105589 Excellent info, thanks! Hopefully this part "Moreover, he demonstrated that once cells had converted to a cancerous state, reversion could not occur" is not correct. How could Warburg have demonstrated this negative? I'm skeptical.

I had an idea that he demonstrated that just restoring oxygen supply to the cells was not enough to reverse the conversion to cancerous cells that was initially caused by hypoxia? Not that he demonstrated that there were no conditions that could reverse them? Others have demonstrated reversal in vitro at least, as well as the various in vivo anecdotes.

Actually, Warburg may have been wrong on that count - i.e. irreversibility even in the presence of increased oxygenation. A recent study found that increasing tissue oxygenation by antagonizing adenosine (hint, hint: caffeine) caused spontaneous regression of metastasis.
viewtopic.php?f=123&t=6067

Increased carbon dioxide from bag breathing, baking soda, acetazolamide, thiamine, biotin, etc probably achieve the same oxygenation effect.

J

jb116

haidut, shouldn't we say that the accumulation of adenosine as a failure of adenosine desaminase to be more accurate?
Since the whole cycle of adenosine build up and its break down is a natural awake-sleep cycle.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
jb116 said:
post 106145 haidut, shouldn't we say that the accumulation of adenosine as a failure of adenosine desaminase to be more accurate?
Since the whole cycle of adenosine build up and its break down is a natural awake-sleep cycle.

Yes, you are right. It's the excessive buildup of adenosine that contributes to hypoxia, not the natural fluctuations seen diurnally.

tara

haidut said:
post 106142 Increased carbon dioxide from bag breathing, baking soda, acetazolamide, thiamine, biotin, etc probably achieve the same oxygenation effect.
Good point. I think there have been some successes with improving CO2 levels with Buteyko breathing and baking soda at least.

HLP

I have a Pulse/ox device that measures oxygen levels and pulse. What should oxygen levels be in a healthy person? I understand my pulse could be higher since it sits around 68 bpm on average. I do manage hypothyroidism with ERFA but when I increase my dose to try to boost my pulse rate, I get headaches. I've also tried adding Cytomel but it also causes headaches although it does increase my pulse rate into the low 80's. My oxygen levels are quite often in the 92-93% range and I would like to see them higher. I practice Butekyo breathing most of the time. I classify myself as kind of a non breather or shallow breather.

pulse ox measures the blood levels of CO2, approximately, but doesn't really measure how much oxygen your tissues are getting via the (variable) oxygenation route from hemoglobin.

What is your morning CP, HLP?

HLP

Oh, controlled pause right? Haven't measured that in the morning yet. During the day I've measured it at 25 seconds.

Lore

pulse ox measures the blood levels of CO2, approximately, but doesn't really measure how much oxygen your tissues are getting via the (variable) oxygenation route from hemoglobin.

What is your morning CP, HLP?
If the oximeter measures the CO2 in the blood, how is one to measure the amount of O2 in the blood?

rei

I have a Pulse/ox device that measures oxygen levels and pulse. What should oxygen levels be in a healthy person? I understand my pulse could be higher since it sits around 68 bpm on average. I do manage hypothyroidism with ERFA but when I increase my dose to try to boost my pulse rate, I get headaches. I've also tried adding Cytomel but it also causes headaches although it does increase my pulse rate into the low 80's. My oxygen levels are quite often in the 92-93% range and I would like to see them higher. I practice Butekyo breathing most of the time. I classify myself as kind of a non breather or shallow breather.

92-93 is right on the edge of needing immediate medical attention. Many say a level of sustained under 95 is grounds for a hospital visit. A healthy person typically has 99-96, if you don't have any problems i would suggest your PO is faulty.

Lore

If you're using Normal Breathing (Butekyo), you may want to ask him. If I recall, I believe I read a comment on the question he answered and he told them the oximeter reading will be different as he improves is CP.

Travis

Fairly recent study, with a good review of the role of PUFA in the hypoxia that, if maintained chronically, always leads to cancer.

Chronic cellular hypoxia as the prime cause of cancer: what is the de-oxygenating role of adulterated and improper ratios of polyunsaturated fatty ... - PubMed - NCBI

"...With the exception of melanoma and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, the incidence of cancer has peaked in the last several years, but rates and mortality are still high. Moreover, despite 50 years of intensive cancer research increasingly focused on genetic causes, no single unifying cause for cancer has been established. Although it is well-known that tumors are hypoxic, and that there is a correlation between the level of hypoxia and prognosis, with the exception of Warburg's studies, little work has been done to investigate the relationship between hypoxia and cancer. Over 70 years ago, Warburg showed that cells could always be made cancerous by subjecting them to periods of hypoxia. Moreover, he demonstrated that once cells had converted to a cancerous state, reversion could not occur. Modern biochemistry acknowledges that there is a switch from oxidative phosphorylation to glycolysis in tumors that might be concurrent with hypoxia, but does not address the cancer causation. It is our hypothesis that long-term hypoxia of cells in the body, measured in years, is the primary trigger for cancer. We believe that the hypoxia, which has to meet Warburg's findings of a critical 35% reduction in intracellular oxygen levels to initiate cancer, is linked to the incorporation of adulterated, non-oxygenating, or inappropriate polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) into the phospholipids of cell and mitochondrial membranes. Such incorporation causes changes in membrane properties that impair oxygen transmission into the cell. Trans fats, partially oxidized PUFA entities, and inappropriate omega-6:eek:mega-3 ratios are all potential sources of unsaturated fatty acids that can disrupt the normal membrane structure. In this paper, we explore this hypothesis by examining the evidence, and additionally propose an appropriate PUFA dosage for humans by analyzing requirements and taking into account current PUFA consumption patterns."
This is interesting, and I just read an article on membrane fluidity yesterday. They had also noted that dividing cells were more fluid and had a higher unsaturation index. Also notable is that both cholesterol and stearic acid stiffen the cell membrane and slow division.

Chocolate is high in stearic acid.

Now I'm starting to wonder how O₂ normally gets into the cell. Obviously, there are many protein receptors and pores it could go through, but it would be neat to read an article on this for more details.. .