Orange juice concentrate fluoride concerns

mt_dreams

I know Ray has said that oj concentrate will have higher levels of fluoride, why is this so?

I've looked at the process, and it seems little water (outside of the orange's liquid) would be used during the process ... maybe a little extra water in the no-pulp varieties to make up for lost bulk.

Are companies putting fluoride in oj concentrate on purpose?

OP
M

mt_dreams

BingDing said:
I think he means oj made from concentrate where they add fluoridated water. The concentrate itself should be OK.

Thanks BingDing, that clears up my confusion.

hopefully they aren't messing with the concentrate itself.

Steffi

Actually I have seen in many tests that concentrate is better than the juice because they tend to tamper with the juice way more than the concentrate. Of course it depends on the availability of good water and therefore I buy much more real juice because that water is better than what you normally get from North American taps and bottles. It's filtered through the orange tree as Ray says so nicely. But then of course I ingest flavor packs and enzymes and whatever else they dump in. Probably still better than Fluor and Asbestos laden tapwater.

Perhaps he meant from the soil or the insecticide.

robertf

I think that in some countries like Mexico or India the water supply has a much higher concentration of fluoride than in the U.S.

I use supplemental boron for fluoride protection and detox.

Dan W

I've shared BingDing's interpretation, that Peat was comparing not-from-concentrate OJ with the end result of OJ from concentrate (it's probably going to be tap water whether prepared at home or commercially).

Steffi said:
Actually I have seen in many tests that concentrate is better than the juice because they tend to tamper with the juice way more than the concentrate.
I've always wondered about this report (credit to Himsahima for finding it originally):
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/chemic ... 1913943956

It shows Canadian samples of OJ concentrate beating not-from-concentrate OJ in pesticide levels. It's hard to tell if we should draw any conclusions from it, maybe there's something specific to their samples that doesn't apply to other times/places. But I've wondered if more pesticides are required for oranges grown in non-optimal seasons, which you'd expect to make up a greater proportion of "fresh" OJ.

Daimyo

Such_Saturation said:
post 82605 Perhaps he meant from the soil or the insecticide.

Most phosphorus fertilizers contain quite a lot of fluoride. The levels in soils are not too high yet, but it's sort of building up in the soil. That's something that might be a problem in 20-50 years in developed countries (that have been using phosphate fertilizers for the longest time).

Last edited by a moderator:
danny roddy juices his own orange juice. i also bought a juicer called the juiceman, its only 25 bucks at target. it is electronic and you cut an orange in half and then put it on this spinning wheel thing and it makes OJ for you. it takes around 10 oranges to make 1 quart. it takes like 5 or 10 minutes to make it. give it a try it will probably do you better.

frankfranks

In America the frozen concentrate OJ is generally going to be from Brazil. The non-concentrate will be from Florida.

I think the Florida growers have a hard time competing with the tropical Brazilians on either cost or quality. The weather is much better, land is cheaper, and labor is cheaper down there. Hence all the marketing hype about "not from concentrate" and playing up the Florida brand. The good frozen concentrates are sweeter and less tart than most of the "natural" Florida juices in cartons.

Squeezing your own juice from whole oranges strikes me as some hipster nonsense. It sure is easy to just have a bunch of those frozen cans in the freezer.

OP
M

mt_dreams

frankfranks said:
post 105910

Squeezing your own juice from whole oranges strikes me as some hipster nonsense. It sure is easy to just have a bunch of those frozen cans in the freezer.

I wouldn't call it a hipster trait, as people have been doing it forever. When I'm in florida I like to squeeze my own. I live in Canada for half the year, so for those months, the frozen concentrate is the best choice. The benefit of fresh squeezed, assuming you've got access to tree ripened oranges, is that they're vitamin C is totally intact, something all store bought oj, including the frozen concentrate lack due to the heating process.

also thanks for the info regarding frozen concentrate coming from Brazil, that's handy info indeed.

Wait a second, to you squeezing some oranges is something strange and exotic?

frankfranks

Such_Saturation said:
post 106002 Wait a second, to you squeezing some oranges is something strange and exotic?

Exotic isn't the right word. In the modern context of widely available perfectly good frozen concentrate it seems like a highly eccentric habit along the lines of making all your own pants.