Aspirin Alternatives?

PeatThemAll

Is there a close equivalent to Aspirin?

Through trial and error I noticed I am quite AAS sensitive (tinnitus, overall feeling, etc.) and am wondering if there is a "safer" alternative.

answersfound

Vitamin E

Sea

Many of the supplements recommended by Ray Peat act on similar mechanisms. Make sure that you are dissolving the aspirin tablet in water so as to not ingest the other compounds in the tablet. Vitamin K2 is recommended by Ray Peat to be taken with aspirin. The poster Haidut has posted several studies showing that caffeine, and niacinamide protect against problems with aspirin. You will also need to make sure to be eating enough since aspirin will speed up your metabolism and if you are low on sugar this may not feel great. Overtime aspirin won't feel as sensitive and you will be able to increase the dosage, but only start with a small dosage initially.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
[ref]PeatThemAll[/ref], did you try it with glycine?

burtlancast

Willow bark should work, although i havn't tried yet.

haidut

Forum Supporter
PeatThemAll said:
post 105375 Is there a close equivalent to Aspirin?

Through trial and error I noticed I am quite AAS sensitive (tinnitus, overall feeling, etc.) and am wondering if there is a "safer" alternative.

There is salsalate, sodium salicylate, caalcium salicylate, magnesium salicylate, etc. You can buy them all freely online (except maybe salsalate). However, they all metabolize into salicylic acid and likely have the same side effects as aspirin.
Combining aspirin with baking soda to form sodium salicylate seems to prevent its effects on GI system and some of its ototoxicity.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
P

PeatThemAll

Charlie said:
[ref]PeatThemAll[/ref], did you try it with glycine?

Indirectly, via gelatin/collagen (many tbsp spread over the day). Even though it might have had a protective effect, I still felt bad and lethargic overall (on top of increased tinnitus and swelling of the amygdala). It is surprising how quickly my state changed from OK to blah after starting my day with aspirin + caffeine.

Note: above trial is done dissolving aspirin in water + baking soda (to minimize downsides).

In short, it did exactly the opposite of what I was expecting.

As for other supplements, I'm doing food only + some caffeine (gotta function!) as a temporary reset. I suspect I'm a very low dose responder. Idem for MB.

Sea

Gelatin/Collagen can cause many of those issues if you are not adequately digesting it which I don't think many hypothyroid people are capable of.

Peata

Sea said:
post 105392 Gelatin/Collagen can cause many of those issues if you are not adequately digesting it which I don't think many hypothyroid people are capable of.

True. I didn't tolerate gelatin well (GI upset, bloating, etc.) and that included the powder in stuff or eating gummies. I switched a long time ago to glycine to take as needed.

OP
P

PeatThemAll

Sea said:
Gelatin/Collagen can cause many of those issues if you are not adequately digesting it which I don't think many hypothyroid people are capable of.

Thank you.

Quite possible. I'll have to determine my tolerable upper limit.

I'm saying this because the ceylon cinnamon / excess ammonia / nitrogen thread corresponded a lot to what I have experienced on the brain fog side. And my tests using ceylon as well as varying protein quantities per day have given me the impression I'm weak on the renal clearance part. Aspirin would fit the bill too (renal), as I recall something from a fibromyalgia protocol (Dr. St-Amand) that aimed to keep sals as low as possible to maximize phosphate clearance (e. g. taking a bottleneck out in the end-of-line ATP process).

Lin

I notice that buffered aspirin is: (Buffered with Magnesium Carbonate, Calcium Carbonate and Magnesium Oxide)
Wonder what would happen if I dissolve the aspirin in Magnesium bicarbonate water? (I, too, have tinnitus with aspirin.)

GAF

I think I read on this forum that K2 is the answer to tinnitus and aspirin

tara

PeatThemAll said:
post 105375 Through trial and error I noticed I am quite AAS sensitive (tinnitus, overall feeling, etc.) and am wondering if there is a "safer" alternative.
How much were you taking?
Some people take a lot and say it does them good, but there is likely some benefit from even quite small amounts.
I'll echo the K2 recommendations.

PeatThemAll said:
post 105391 It is surprising how quickly my state changed from OK to blah after starting my day with aspirin + caffeine.

I haven't seen anyone recommend starting the day with either caffeine or aspirin. For many of us it is important to have good stores fuel on board first. Maybe try having after you've eaten a larger meal?
I'm currently trying just ~100mg aspirin, which feels better to me at the moment, and just a little coffee after lunch. You can play around a bit with amounts to see what seems to suit you for now (and it may change).

Peat has sometimes recommended 50-100mg niacinamide a few times a day. gain, some do well with much bigger doses, some don't.

johnwester130

pro metabolic fat soluble vitamins : k2
pro metabolic b vitamins : b1 thiamin, niacinamide, and b7 biotin
pro metabolic amino acids : glycine, taurine, lysine, proline (glycine/proline in coffee)
pro metabolic minerals : zinc/copper/ selenium , magnesium glycinate

aspirin alternatives : k2, niacinamide, caffeine, b1, benzoic acid,

OP
P

PeatThemAll

Thanks all.

@Tara. It started at half a Bayer Aspirin (1/2 of regular 325mg pill) every 3-4 hours. Tinnitus increased as well as swelling near the ear (felt pressure) and tonsils (doubled in size). Thought it was just a cold coming up, so I doubled the dosage for a couple of days, then redoubled a week later (so tops 2 * 325mgs every 4 hours, so that's 6 a day max). As mentioned above, all dissolved in water + baking soda.

Coffee (1) at about same frequency, for synergistic effect.

I tend to retain a lot more water when taking aspirin. Quite paradoxical considering it's an anti-inflammatory (!) . I know about this, all other things being equal, just based on how quickly I piss out this water retention when I stop all aspirin (quite surprising how I can change from bloated to 'cut' in 12-15 hours. But in any case the tinnitus intensity is my best salycylate barometer.

tara

If I were you I'd see how you go with less - eg 100 mg 1-2 times a day for starters, or just leave it out altogether for now.

Personally, I don't see a lot of point in forcing something on theoretical grounds that you identify as giving you negative symptoms.

I guess you are eating enough, salting to taste, etc?
When I start peeing a lot, it is usually on a downward slope to misery.

moss

burtlancast said:
post 105386 Willow bark should work, although i havn't tried yet.

PeatThemAll said:
post 105375 Is there a close equivalent to Aspirin?

Hi PeatThemAll

There have been some useful suggestions in the above posts and wanted to expand on BLC's suggestion of Willow Bark.

A few herbs do contain the salicylates as active ingredients (in varying forms) most notably, Filipendula ulmaria Meadowsweet, Salix alba Willow Bark and Ulmus fulva Slippery elm. Depending on the plant, my understanding is the derivatives of salicylic acid (such as salicin, methylsalicylate, salicylaldehyde, spiraein, salicyinate glycoside and others) and depending which species are absorbed into bloodstream and hydrolysed by the intestines and liver into the active medicine. Willow Bark with one of its derivatives (crude salicin) considered one of the major contributors in addressing inflammation (in correct dosaging).

You cannot reduce the action of the herb to one of its component as the ‘entire herb’. There is a real difference between an isolate and that of a substance found in its natural environment. The galenical (natural) preparation is one of the many defences against the ‘so-called’ toxicological effects because it is a complete unadulterated arrangement of a natural entity of the herb and in its entirety with all its constituents - both active and supportive. Which may explain why they are well tolerated for those who have difficulty with the isolate (aspirin).

FWIW, Meadowsweet is specific for the stomach and contains tannins and acts on damaged inflamed mucosal surfaces. Due to the tannin content the herb helps reduce bleeding, excessive discharge and promote healing for digestive conditions. They treat the surface membrane and tighten and tone and are indicated for digestive conditions, which are associated with inflammation, acid reflux, irritation, and lack of integrity in mucosal surfaces.

In my experience, I have never had any unfavourable reports with Willow Bark nor with the other herbs above causing gut bleeds or irritation and therefore a possible alternative. And it is always worth remembering as in life there are always ‘unknowns’ and “the dose make the poison”.

yomama

PeatThemAll said:
I'm weak on the renal clearance part.
PeatThemAll said:
I tend to retain a lot more water when taking aspirin. Quite paradoxical considering it's an anti-inflammatory (!) . I know about this, all other things being equal, just based on how quickly I piss out this water retention when I stop all aspirin (quite surprising how I can change from bloated to 'cut' in 12-15 hours.

If you have renal issues water retention while on Aspirin could be a consequence:

The NSAIDs are also known to have adverse effects on kidney function.[31] Dehydration or preexisting chronic renal failure or disease, resulting in stimulation of the renin–angiotensin system, may predispose certain populations to acute renal failure through inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis, which can occur when taking NSAIDs.[31] The National Kidney Foundation asserts that approximately 10% of kidney failures per year are directly correlated to substantial overuse of NSAIDs.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3011108/

Usually food increases drugs absorption but in your case IMO you must take Aspirin (and coffee) only immediately after meals to avoid that "blah" feeling you mentioned which could be a symptom of gastrointestinal adverse reaction.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals