Theanine Is An Antihistamine

haidut

Forum Supporter
In addition to its anti-serotonergic properties, theanine appears to lower histamine release and act as a mast cells stabilizer. Drugs that act as mast cell stabilizers, for instance Ketotifen, and currently one of the most promising agents for treating gut conditions like IBS and Chron's. Most pharma companies have at least one such drug in the pipeline, as there is also evidence that those drugs may work for certain cancers.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21344174

"...Theanine inhibited compound 48/80-induced systemic anaphylactic shock and ear swelling responses. IgE-mediated passive cutaneous anaphylaxis was inhibited by the oral administration or pharmaceutical acupuncture of theanine. Histamine release from mast cells was decreased with the treatment of theanine. Theanine also repressed phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate and calcium ionophore A23187-induced TNF-α, IL-1β, IL-6, and IL-8 secretion by suppressing NF-κB activation. Furthermore, theanine suppressed the activation of caspase-1 and the expression of receptor interacting protein-2. The current study demonstrates for the first time that theanine might possess mast cell-stabilizing capabilities."

Unfortunately I don't have full access to the study so I don't know what the oral dosage was, but most human studies find that 400mg is plenty and no additional benefit is seen above that.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Wilfrid said:

Thanks.
After reading the study all I can say is WOW!
If the study is legitimate, theanine seems to work better than most anti-allergic drugs on the market. In addition, it is a potent anti-inflammatory substance and immune stimulant. What is even more shocking is that the dosage used was actually quite low, and comparable to what one may get from 1-2 cups of tea. I strongly recommend everyone reads the study, but as a summary theanine completely prevented mortality from anaphylactic shock and did that better than the anti-allergic drugs used for comparison, and also reduced histamine release by 20%-22%. The effects were dose dependent and the maximum effect was achieved at 1mg/kg rat dosage, which translates to 0.15mg/kg for a human. So for most people this means 10mg-15mg of theanine, which is how much is in a typical cup of tea. In conclusion, here is a quote from the study:

"...In our study, theanine 1 microM has a potent anti-inflammatory effect. We also found that anti-allergic effect of theanine 1 mg/kg was higher than that of dexamethasone at 5 mg/kg dose. Therefore, we can speculate that the activity found is at a dose that has meaning for actual clinical use. In conclusion, we showed that theanine inhibited mast cell mediated anaphylactic reactions. Theanine also inhibited TNF-a, IL-1b, IL-6, and IL-8 secretions and expression by blocking the activation of NF-jB and RIP-2/caspase-1. Our findings suggest that theanine has regulatory effects that may play a beneficial role in the treatment and management of allergic disorders."

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
piotr_zarach said:
So maybe Yerba Mate is best choice ?

Is that the one highest in theanine? I know Peat is not a fan of the phenols in tea, so whatever tea has the least phenols/EGCG and most theanine/caffeine would probably best.

Peata

Wow, I just read this thread after taking theanine an hour ago and now feeling able to breathe easily, and stopped coughing like I've been doing all eve (seem to get one this time every year and it often develops into bronchitis). I didn't know why it went away so I did a search for theanine and antihistamine. Funny, the dose I took was 400 mg.

Peata

I can count on 400 mg. theanine to stop the coughing within an hour. Only thing is, I'm taking up to 1,500 mg theanine daily so far, to control the cough.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Peata said:
post 105084 I can count on 400 mg. theanine to stop the coughing within an hour. Only thing is, I'm taking up to 1,500 mg theanine daily so far, to control the cough.

Well, that dose should also be lowering your serotonin and increasing dopamine. Serotonin is THE main cause of lung issues like CF, bronchitis, pulmonary hypertension, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peata

haidut said:
post 105093
Peata said:
post 105084 I can count on 400 mg. theanine to stop the coughing within an hour. Only thing is, I'm taking up to 1,500 mg theanine daily so far, to control the cough.

Well, that dose should also be lowering your serotonin and increasing dopamine. Serotonin is THE main cause of lung issues like CF, bronchitis, pulmonary hypertension, etc.

OK, thank you. That's good to know my serotonin is lowering and dopamine increasing.

Just today I switched to a different brand of theanine since my order came in the mail. For the last week, I've been using the only theanine product I could find locally, which was Sundown Stress Formula. Besides theanine, it has chamomile, lemon balm and lavender (and Gelatin, Dicalcium Phosphate, Vegetable Cellulose, Contains <2% of:, Silica, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate). It's good for relaxing, reducing stress of caffeine, and sleep, but I don't like the added junk in there. I think chamomile is OK Peat-wise but wasn't sure on the other two.

But now I have a more pure theanine product. I have capsules that contain caffeine and theanine 1:2 which will be convnient during the day, and just plain theanine powder for evening when I don't want the caffeine.

Peata

Such_Saturation said:
post 105132 Yes, I have noticed that theanine can really clear the nose up. I also notice it makes veins bulge out in my arms. What do you think about it phosphorylating eNOS? https://raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopi ... 10#p103310

I just took about 500 mg of a new powder and my nasal passages are so clear and breathable, and my veins are not bulging at all. I hope the NO thing isn't true. I feel like I've got something going for me here in theanine - it's pretty safe and available and does multiple good things for me. Would be a shame to lose that.

Peata

haidut said:
post 105093
Peata said:

Just read that part again. I think with the change of season to Fall, less light and probably thyroid dropping some, the serotonin, histamine, estrogen increases. I'm going to keep at the goal of lowering serotonin because I do not want to go through what I did last Fall and Winter with respiratory ailments.

narouz

Reading about theanine,
some commentary makes it sound like it would be good for sleep.
On the other hand: "alert, relaxed energy"...not so much.

Have you guys tried it before going to bed?

Peata

narouz said:
post 105158 Reading about theanine,
some commentary makes it sound like it would be good for sleep.
On the other hand: "alert, relaxed energy"...not so much.

Have you guys tried it before going to bed?

Yeah, it has a nice effect where it kind of does what I need it to do, depending on my mood and what i want to do, and time of day. For example, the other night when I took it, I felt like I could have just as easily got up and done a project with focus, or just chilled with music or a movie, or gone to sleep, kinda my choice. I guess that is the alert, relaxed part. Or maybe they mean if you take it with caffeine you will be alert but relaxed. I've been sleeping well with it.

Peata

haidut said:
post 44584
Wilfrid said:

Thanks.
After reading the study all I can say is WOW!
If the study is legitimate, theanine seems to work better than most anti-allergic drugs on the market. In addition, it is a potent anti-inflammatory substance and immune stimulant. What is even more shocking is that the dosage used was actually quite low, and comparable to what one may get from 1-2 cups of tea. I strongly recommend everyone reads the study, but as a summary theanine completely prevented mortality from anaphylactic shock and did that better than the anti-allergic drugs used for comparison, and also reduced histamine release by 20%-22%. The effects were dose dependent and the maximum effect was achieved at 1mg/kg rat dosage, which translates to 0.15mg/kg for a human. So for most people this means 10mg-15mg of theanine, which is how much is in a typical cup of tea. In conclusion, here is a quote from the study:

"...In our study, theanine 1 microM has a potent anti-inflammatory effect. We also found that anti-allergic effect of theanine 1 mg/kg was higher than that of dexamethasone at 5 mg/kg dose. Therefore, we can speculate that the activity found is at a dose that has meaning for actual clinical use. In conclusion, we showed that theanine inhibited mast cell mediated anaphylactic reactions. Theanine also inhibited TNF-a, IL-1b, IL-6, and IL-8 secretions and expression by blocking the activation of NF-jB and RIP-2/caspase-1. Our findings suggest that theanine has regulatory effects that may play a beneficial role in the treatment and management of allergic disorders."

Cyproheptadine never helped my allergies at all, but maybe I wasn't taking enough. (took up to 11 mg day) But it was difficult to do that when it increased my appetite and my weight climbed. But anyway, it's strange to me that theanine is helping my allergies so much. I can breathe well and not have all those coughing fits. I've seen past posts about similar actions of cypro and theanine, such as lowered cortisol, acth, serotonin, etc. I just find it interesting that theanine is helping allergies when cypro is actually labeled the antihistamine.

tara

If theanine is helpful against asthma, would it seem like a reasonable thing to try for a 9yr old to interrupt a mild episode? I know you can't advise medically, esp. for children, but any reason you can think of that it might be hazardous? Is it possible that a small dose - eg 20mg or 50mg could make a difference quickly?

LucH

tara said:
post 105476 If theanine is helpful against asthma, would it seem like a reasonable thing to try for a 9yr old to interrupt a mild episode? I know you can't advise medically, esp. for children, but any reason you can think of that it might be hazardous? Is it possible that a small dose - eg 20mg or 50mg could make a difference quickly?
I would first try with selenium inhalated (pulverisation). 100 mcg twice a day, during 3 weeks.
Selenium must reach alveoli lungs. Otherwise, it's usleless.
Here in Europe, it's OLIGOSOL SÉLÉNIUM Lacatal 2 mg / 100 mcg Se (Sélénite de sodium pentahydraté).
http://www.labcatal.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=11
Very effective.
LucH
:yellohello

lindsay

I can count on 400 mg. theanine to stop the coughing within an hour. Only thing is, I'm taking up to 1,500 mg theanine daily so far, to control the cough.

What brand of Theanine are you taking? I want to start experimenting with it. Thanks :)

Peata

What brand of Theanine are you taking? I want to start experimenting with it. Thanks :)
I've used different brands. The most recent was Powder City. They sell powders, capsules, and even theanine/caffeine combo in capsules.