Niacinamide Is A Potent Antifungal Effective Against Candida

haidut

Forum Supporter
I posted some studies some time ago showing that aspirin and methylene blue are able to eradicate Candida infections. This study adds niacinamide to the tools we have against pathogenic fungi, and it seems niacinamide is especially effective against Candida. The human equivalent dose was 35mg/kg and it was administered only once. A second dose (same) of niacinamide 8h after infection with Candida was done in some animals to potentiate the effects. However, even a single dose was effective. While this dose is on the high end for niacinamide, for most people it would still fall under 3g, which is what mainstream medicine officially considers the upper safety limit for niacinamide. So there you have - niacinamide can cure Candida infection with a single dose. Adding 3g of aspirin and 20mg methylene blue will probably make the fungus file a lawsuit for genocide:):

http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v16/n7 ... .2175.html
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 141617.htm

"...A team of scientists from the Institute for Research in Immunology and Cancer (IRIC) of the University of Montreal have identified vitamin B3 as a potential antifungal treatment. Led by IRIC Principal Investigators Martine Raymond, Alain Verreault and Pierre Thibault, in collaboration with Alaka Mullick, from the Biotechnology Research Institute of the National Research Council Canada, the study is the subject of a recent article in Nature Medicine. Infections by the yeast Candida albicans represent a significant public health problem and a common complication in immunodeficient individuals such as AIDS patients, cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy and recipients of organ transplants. While some treatments are available, their efficacy can be compromised by the emergence of drug-resistant strains. The current study shows that a C. albicans enzyme, known as Hst3, is essential to the growth and survival of the yeast. Researchers found that genetic or pharmacological inhibition of Hst3 with nicotinamide, a form of vitamin B3, strongly reduced C. albicans virulence in a mouse model. Both normal and drug-resistant strains of C. albicans were susceptible to nicotinamide. In addition, nicotinamide prevented the growth of other pathogenic Candida species and Aspergillus fumigatus (another human pathogen), thus demonstrating the broad antifungal properties of nicotinamide."

Last edited:

jaa

I took ~ 1.5g dose of niacinamide last night and again this morning. I felt horrible after each dose (took me the second time to connect the dots). Low energy, light headedness, anxiety, heart palpitations. I think it's because I have low blood pressure. Good to know my suffering would have been harmful to any candida :D

XPlus

jaa said:
post 104251 I took ~ 1.5g dose of niacinamide last night and again this morning. I felt horrible after each dose (took me the second time to connect the dots). Low energy, light headedness, anxiety, heart palpitations. I think it's because I have low blood pressure. Good to know my suffering would have been harmful to any candida :D

I'd think that Niacinamide improves sleep quality.
It could be the large dose. It took me a while to build up to 1.5g.
Niacinamide stimulates metabolism.
If your liver's capacity to store glycogen is low, your system will crash during sleep.
Since the Niacinamide limits fat release, cortisol will probably be at play mostly during the night, after your liver runs out of sugar.
Then, you waking up feeling unrested.

Last edited by a moderator:

Makrosky

jaa said:
I took ~ 1.5g dose of niacinamide last night and again this morning. I felt horrible after each dose (took me the second time to connect the dots). Low energy, light headedness, anxiety, heart palpitations. I think it's because I have low blood pressure. Good to know my suffering would have been harmful to any candida :D

Maybe it was endotoxin produced by candida die-off.

jaa

You guys have convinced me to give it another shot and build my way up. Thanks for the advice :hattip

marcar72

Do you suppose the antifungal effects are cumulative? Like if I take 500 mg twice daily will Candida eventually die off? Or does it need to be at the dosage you suggested Haidut?...

FredSonoma

My stomach hurt really bad the first time I took b3 orally and i assumed it was a crappy excipient but maybe it was this.

I've read somewhere that people with fatty liver should avoid niacinamide and aspirin, is this true? Would someone with a candida overgrowth usually have a sluggish liver and thus be unable to clean it out themselves?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
marcar72 said:
post 107282 Do you suppose the antifungal effects are cumulative? Like if I take 500 mg twice daily will Candida eventually die off? Or does it need to be at the dosage you suggested Haidut?...

I think a certain concentrations is needed. Taking smaller doses of niacinamide will probably NOT build up as it is quickly converted to NAD or excreted.

FredSonoma

haidut said:
post 107301
marcar72 said:
post 107282 Do you suppose the antifungal effects are cumulative? Like if I take 500 mg twice daily will Candida eventually die off? Or does it need to be at the dosage you suggested Haidut?...

I think a certain concentrations is needed. Taking smaller doses of niacinamide will probably NOT build up as it is quickly converted to NAD or excreted.

Hey haidut, do you think candida problems are usually the result of liver problems? I have major bloating but it has not improved at all with Peat, and I have gained 40 pounds in 4 months since starting Peating. I'm pretty sure the liver is the problem, but is my digestive problems / bloating likely related to my liver or is that separate? Also I've read conflicting things about both aspirin and niacinamide for liver problems - how do I know if I should be taking those? (other than how they make me feel)

kyev

Last year when I was working with a paleo nutritionist, we did a stool test and found my intestinal yeast levels were off the charts. She recommended an herbal anti fungal, which I took at half the suggested dose for 1 day and the next morning I had a very violent reaction (shortness of breath, heart racing, convulsions, etc.)

I know I still have yeast problems now, so I'm struggling to find the best way to eliminate it without having a terrible die-off effect. MB, niacinamide look promising... I'm hoping you can build up slowly and still get results? I would recommend anyone trying to eliminate candida having activated charcoal on hand (which I didn't at the time).

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
FredSonoma said:
post 107309
haidut said:
post 107301
marcar72 said:

Hey haidut, do you think candida problems are usually the result of liver problems? I have major bloating but it has not improved at all with Peat, and I have gained 40 pounds in 4 months since starting Peating. I'm pretty sure the liver is the problem, but is my digestive problems / bloating likely related to my liver or is that separate? Also I've read conflicting things about both aspirin and niacinamide for liver problems - how do I know if I should be taking those? (other than how they make me feel)

If liver is not working well then GI issues are probably to be expected. Everyone who gains weight on Peat has high stress hormones. Ray has said that in small doses niacinamide and aspirin help the liver detox fat, which I agree with. Aspirin inhibits beta oxidation only in doses of 2g+ daily.

kingofthedrews

kyev said:
Last year when I was working with a paleo nutritionist, we did a stool test and found my intestinal yeast levels were off the charts. She recommended an herbal anti fungal, which I took at half the suggested dose for 1 day and the next morning I had a very violent reaction (shortness of breath, heart racing, convulsions, etc.)

I know I still have yeast problems now, so I'm struggling to find the best way to eliminate it without having a terrible die-off effect. MB, niacinamide look promising... I'm hoping you can build up slowly and still get results? I would recommend anyone trying to eliminate candida having activated charcoal on hand (which I didn't at the time).

What was the herbal antifungal you took?

narouz

haidut said:
post 104245 I posted some studies some time ago showing that aspirin and methylene blue are able to eradicate Candida infections. This study adds niacinamide to the tools we have against pathogenic fungi, and it seems niacinamide is especially effective against Candida. The human equivalent dose was 35mg/kg and it was administered only once. A second dose (same) of niacinamide 8h after infection with Candida was done in some animals to potentiate the effects. However, even a single dose was effective. While this dose is on the high end for niacinamide, for most people it would still fall under 3g, which is what mainstream medicine officially considers the upper safety limit for niacinamide. So there you have - niacinamide can cure Candida infection with a single dose. Adding 3g of aspirin and 20mg methylene blue will probably make the fungus file a lawsuit for genocide:):....

Hahahaha :lol:
How did I miss this thread--my pet subject?!
Thanks, haidut.

Gl;itch.e

So I would need about 3500mg. Might try this tonight as I feel my liver function is adequate. Ill just have to make sure I have plenty of sugary treats ready to go.

taubebecker

jaa said:
post 104251 I took ~ 1.5g dose of niacinamide last night and again this morning. I felt horrible after each dose (took me the second time to connect the dots). Low energy, light headedness, anxiety, heart palpitations. I think it's because I have low blood pressure. Good to know my suffering would have been harmful to any candida :D

1.5 grams seems to be a lot ..
I took half of a 500mg capsule. I opened it and dumped half in a small amount of apple sauce.
I found it to be very calming !

Gl;itch.e

Gl;itch.e said:
post 107376 So I would need about 3500mg. Might try this tonight as I feel my liver function is adequate. Ill just have to make sure I have plenty of sugary treats ready to go.
Done. Not that I had much reason to suspect I had major issues with candida (do have some toenail fungus though). So apart from feeling a little light headed and not getting the worlds best sleep (woke up in the night really hungry) I survived this silly little experiment just fine.

tara

Any idea if a niacinamide solution would be effective topically against tinea etc?

tomisonbottom

If liver is not working well then GI issues are probably to be expected. Everyone who gains weight on Peat has high stress hormones. Ray has said that in small doses niacinamide and aspirin help the liver detox fat, which I agree with. Aspirin inhibits beta oxidation only in doses of 2g+ daily.

What is considered a small dose of niacinamide?