Cyproheptadine As A Fertility Drug In Old Males

haidut

Forum Supporter
It is well known that with aging, sperm production declines as does testosterone secretion. This study does not explain what was the mechanism of action of cyproheptadine, but I would not be surprised if it resulted in increased testosterone production as well by opposing serotonin and cortisol.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1204806

FredSonoma

Seems like cypro is getting a good rap today :D

I know one of the symptoms of cypro is weight gain - I'm assuming this is just part of the healing. If I'm not taking cypro, do you think theoretically I will gain all that weight inevitably, it might just take longer than it will with cypro? And the weight gain is necessary to heal regardless of using cypro?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
FredSonoma said:
post 103409 Seems like cypro is getting a good rap today :D

I know one of the symptoms of cypro is weight gain - I'm assuming this is just part of the healing. If I'm not taking cypro, do you think theoretically I will gain all that weight inevitably, it might just take longer than it will with cypro? And the weight gain is necessary to heal regardless of using cypro?

Aging mean slow metabolism, so most people end up getting extra weight. In the case of cyproheptadine I have not seen studies showing it was fat gain. I am not saying it was pure muscle either, but without cyproheptadine you will likely gain fat and lose muscle as you age.

Last edited by a moderator:

FredSonoma

haidut said:
post 103410
FredSonoma said:

Aging mean slow metabolism, so most people end up getting extra weight. In the case of cyproheptadine I have not seen studies showing it was fat gain. I am not saying it was pure muscle either, but without cyproheptadine you will likely gain fat and lose muscle as you age.

Regardless of aging - do you think if cypro causes fat gain it would have happened either way? Just would take a longer time without cypro?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
FredSonoma said:
post 103414
haidut said:
post 103410
FredSonoma said:

Regardless of aging - do you think if cypro causes fat gain it would have happened either way? Just would take a longer time without cypro?

I don't think cypro causes fat gain. There is nothing in its function to make that happen. People who eat cypro eat on average 30% more calories and if this is more than the metabolism can handle, obviously you will gain weight. When stress hormones are high, appetite is low. When cypro lowers the stress biomarkers, people eat more, probably to compensate for the starvation before.

FredSonoma

haidut said:
post 103420
FredSonoma said:
post 103414
haidut said:
post 103410
FredSonoma said:

I don't think cypro causes fat gain. There is nothing in its function to make that happen. People who eat cypro eat on average 30% more calories and if this is more than the metabolism can handle, obviously you will gain weight. When stress hormones are high, appetite is low. When cypro lowers the stress biomarkers, people eat more, probably to compensate for the starvation before.
Okay thanks Haidut!

NathanK

FredSonoma said:
post 103414
haidut said:
post 103410
FredSonoma said:

Personal experience, it made zero difference on my weight or appetite though it has been used in the past to stimulate appetite for some individuals. That's where or how weight gain occurs as already mentioned.

Peata

Unfortunately, it does stimulate my appetite at higher doses. And I put on weight. It felt sort of like "hormonal hungries" which I'm sure a lot of the ladies understand.

Any ideas on how to stop the appetite effect of Cypro? Or any supplement one can take to stop the hunger (when you know its the Cyp causing it)?

japanesedude

this study used 4mg Cypro.

[Effect of the antiserotoninergic preparation cyproheptadine on the levels of luteinizing and follicle-stimulating hormones and testosterone in patie... - PubMed - NCBI

An antiserotoninergic drug cyproheptadine was administered to 10 patients at a dose of 4 mg per os to study LH, FSH and testosterone regulation in patients with polycystic ovaries. Blood samples were taken in the morning before, and 1 and 2 h after drug administration. A significant decrease in the level of testosterone (p less than 0.0001) in 1 and 2 h and a tendency to a decrease in the LH level and a LH/FSH ratio in 2 h after cyproheptadine administration were revealed. The effect of the drug on the FSH level was insignificant. A conclusion was made of the involvement of the serotoninergic mechanisms in the regulation of androgenic secretion in patients with polycystic ovaries.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals