Aggression Is Caused By Low Oxidative Metabolism

haidut

Forum Supporter
Another confirmation of Peat's ideas, in addition to the already known link between estrogen and aggression. I already posted a human study on aggression between spouses being linked to low blood sugar, which matches well with this study below.

http://www.newseveryday.com/articles/26 ... bolism.htm

"...Scientists report they can crank up insect aggression simply by interfering with a basic metabolic pathway in the insect brain. Their study, of fruit flies and honey bees, shows a direct, causal link between brain metabolism (how the brain generates the energy it needs to function) and aggression. The new research follows up on previous work from the laboratory of University of Illinois entomology professor and Institute for Genomic Biology directorGene Robinson, who also led the new analysis. When he and his colleagues looked at brain gene activity in honey bees after they had faced down an intruder, the team found that some metabolic genes were suppressed. These genes play a key role in the most efficient type of energy generation in cells, a process called oxidative phosphorylation. "It was a counterintuitive finding because these genes were down-regulated," Robinson said. "You tend to think of aggression as requiring more energy, not less." In the new study, postdoctoral researcher Clare Rittschof used drugs to suppress key steps in oxidative phosphorylation in the bee brains. She saw that aggression increased in the drugged bees in a dose-responsive manner, Robinson said. But the drugs had no effect on chronically stressed bees - they were not able to increase their aggression in response to an intruder. (Watch a video of honey bees responding to an intruder.)

The last underline I made is key. Chronically stressed beys are unable to mount an aggression response. This "learned helplessness" response is also a key feature of depression in humans.
I guess the pathway is like this - 1) stress; 2) aggression response; 3) depression, if stress continues.
Fascinating!

jaywills

Hi Haidut,

Is there an interplay between aggression & testosterone, specifically in the relation to either or if one was to rise/fall?
Say for example ones testosterone increases, would one expect to see an increase in aggression?

Makrosky

haidut said:
post 53109 Another confirmation of Peat's ideas, in addition to the already known link between estrogen and aggression. I already posted a human study on aggression between spouses being linked to low blood sugar, which matches well with this study below.

"...Scientists report they can crank up insect aggression simply by interfering with a basic metabolic pathway in the insect brain. Their study, of fruit flies and honey bees, shows a direct, causal link between brain metabolism (how the brain generates the energy it needs to function) and aggression. The new research follows up on previous work from the laboratory of University of Illinois entomology professor and Institute for Genomic Biology directorGene Robinson, who also led the new analysis. When he and his colleagues looked at brain gene activity in honey bees after they had faced down an intruder, the team found that some metabolic genes were suppressed. These genes play a key role in the most efficient type of energy generation in cells, a process called oxidative phosphorylation. "It was a counterintuitive finding because these genes were down-regulated," Robinson said. "You tend to think of aggression as requiring more energy, not less." In the new study, postdoctoral researcher Clare Rittschof used drugs to suppress key steps in oxidative phosphorylation in the bee brains. She saw that aggression increased in the drugged bees in a dose-responsive manner, Robinson said. But the drugs had no effect on chronically stressed bees - they were not able to increase their aggression in response to an intruder. (Watch a video of honey bees responding to an intruder.)

The last underline I made is key. Chronically stressed beys are unable to mount an aggression response. This "learned helplessness" response is also a key feature of depression in humans.
I guess the pathway is like this - 1) stress; 2) aggression response; 3) depression, if stress continues.
Fascinating!

Very interesting....

What does "oxidative phosphorilation" means in RP's context ? Would it be favouring glucose + coffee/niacinamide/MethyleneBlue instead of fat to generate energy, for instance ?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
jaywills said:
post 102327 Hi Haidut,

Is there an interplay between aggression & testosterone, specifically in the relation to either or if one was to rise/fall?
Say for example ones testosterone increases, would one expect to see an increase in aggression?

It has been conclusively shown that testosterone does NOT cause aggression, and neither does DHT. Estrogen is the cause of aggression and it matches well with the study since estrogen is great suppressor of oxidative metabolism.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Makrosky said:
post 102328
haidut said:
post 53109 Another confirmation of Peat's ideas, in addition to the already known link between estrogen and aggression. I already posted a human study on aggression between spouses being linked to low blood sugar, which matches well with this study below.

Fascinating!

Very interesting....

What does "oxidative phosphorilation" means in RP's context ? Would it be favouring glucose + coffee/niacinamide/MethyleneBlue instead of fat to generate energy, for instance ?

Oxidative phosphorylation occurs in the "electron transport chain" in the cell, and it has 4 stages. It consumes the products of the Krebs cycle to generate ATP. The first step in the entire metabolic process is glycolysis, and if you are stuck in that phase, you never reach the Krebs cycle and oxidative phosphorylation and just keep producing lactic acid. The cells will use whatever is available in the bloodstream as an energy source. Fats and glucose compete with each other for oxidation through the Randle cycle. I don't know exact ratios but if you have enough fat in your blood to displace glucose, your cells will be burning fat and thus maintain a stress metabolism.
This study shows that high fat diet inhibits oxidative phosphorylation, so glucose seems to be a better fuel source as Peat has said many times.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15983191

Makrosky

haidut said:
Makrosky said:
post 102328
haidut said:

Fascinating!

Very interesting....

Oxidative phosphorylation occurs in the "electron transport chain" in the cell, and it has 4 stages. It consumes the products of the Krebs cycle to generate ATP. The first step in the entire metabolic process is glycolysis, and if you are stuck in that phase, you never reach the Krebs cycle and oxidative phosphorylation and just keep producing lactic acid. The cells will use whatever is available in the bloodstream as an energy source. Fats and glucose compete with each other for oxidation through the Randle cycle. I don't know exact ratios but if you have enough fat in your blood to displace glucose, your cells will be burning fat and thus maintain a stress metabolism.
This study shows that high fat diet inhibits oxidative phosphorylation, so glucose seems to be a better fuel source as Peat has said many times.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15983191

Great info! Thanks man!!!

Momado965

A high-fat diet coordinately downregulates genes required for mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation in skeletal muscle. - PubMed - NCBI

By 'stuck in glycolysis' you mean stuck preparatory step? If so how? Below are two videos explaining sugar metabolism.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
By 'stuck in glycolysis' you mean stuck preparatory step? If so how? Below are two videos explaining sugar metabolism.

I mean everything before reaching PDH. By stuck in glycolysis I mean suboptimal function of PDH, so the pyruvate produced in glycolysis is not fed into PDH so it accumulates and gets converted to lactate.

Momado965

I mean everything before reaching PDH. By stuck in glycolysis I mean suboptimal function of PDH, so the pyruvate produced in glycolysis is not fed into PDH so it accumulates and gets converted to lactate.

Great! So what I undertood from you is when 2 pyruvate is not converted to Acetyl Coa then a consequence will always = problems of glycolysis. Is that a good way to sum it up?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Great! So what I undertood from you is when 2 pyruvate is not converted to Acetyl Coa then a consequence will always = problems of glycolysis. Is that a good way to sum it up?

More or less yes. Build up of pyruvate usually means accumulation of NADH and that NADH needs to be oxidized back to NAD. If PDH is not working then Krebs cycle won't do much and NADH cannot be oxidized properly. Since a steady supply of NAD is critical for survival of organism, NADH is reoxidized back to NAD by using pyruvate as e,ergency electron acceptor, and in the process pyruvate gets converted into lactate. So, excessive glycolysis usually means high lactate and lactate wreaks all sorts of havoc.

Momado965

More or less yes. Build up of pyruvate usually means accumulation of NADH and that NADH needs to be oxidized back to NAD. If PDH is not working then Krebs cycle won't do much and NADH cannot be oxidized properly. Since a steady supply of NAD is critical for survival of organism, NADH is reoxidized back to NAD by using pyruvate as e,ergency electron acceptor, and in the process pyruvate gets converted into lactate. So, excessive glycolysis usually means high lactate and lactate wreaks all sorts of havoc.

Thanks. That was lovely. You know it is funny how I once read something on some forum along the lines of sugar being so bad because of glycolysis and thus you need to cut them out and live off fats and protein. I don't know how those people miss the whole thing and many times it is frustrating to explain if need be.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks. That was lovely. You know it is funny how I once read something on some forum along the lines of sugar being so bad because of glycolysis and thus you need to cut them out and live off fats and protein. I don't know how those people miss the whole thing and many times it is frustrating to explain if need be.

The fructose in sugar activates the enzyme PDH, so it is crucial for getting out of excessive glycolysis. Most biochemists are so specialized that their work rarely covers more than a few enzymes, let alone the entire respiratory apparatus.

Momado965

The fructose in sugar activates the enzyme PDH, so it is crucial for getting out of excessive glycolysis. Most biochemists are so specialized that their work rarely covers more than a few enzymes, let alone the entire respiratory apparatus.

This explains why merely talking to them is frustratingly depressing. Also, nice! I never knew fructose activates the enzyme PDH. Seems like honeyed water or dates for breakfast does me good.

MatheusPN

Dates contain boron, which is pro estrogen! Haidut said: "Boron is HIGHLY estrogenic. The bodybuilding community was crazy about it in the 1990s, but then they found out first hand that it raises estrogen (I think all 3 types) and dumped it. Boron has similar effects to cadmium, nickel, cobalt, etc and they are all estrogenic and carcinogenic in higher doses.
Peat is right that unless you are deficient you'd better not mess with it. See below for a study in men.
The effect of boron supplementation on its urinary excretion and selected cardiovascular risk factors in healthy male subjects"

Last edited:

Momado965

Dates contain boron, which is pro estrogen! Haidut said: "Boron is HIGHLY estrogenic. The bodybuilding community was crazy about it in the 1990s, but then they found out first hand that it raises estrogen (I think all 3 types) and dumped it. Boron has similar effects to cadmium, nickel, cobalt, etc and they are all estrogenic and carcinogenic in higher doses.
Peat is right that unless you are deficient you'd better not mess with it. See below for a study in men.
The effect of boron supplementation on its urinary excretion and selected cardiovascular risk factors in healthy male subjects"

I saw the two contradictory studies showing the effects of boron. Tho still I eat dates. The contradiction could be due to the subjects' metabolism. Also note that boron convers e2 to e3; T to DHT; and vitamin d2 to d3.

Momado965

Hey man @haidut when you mentioned fructose activates PDH; is it because palmitic acid production triggered by fructose?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hey man @haidut when you mentioned fructose activates PDH; is it because palmitic acid production triggered by fructose?

That contributes too, but I think fructose is direct activator of PDH.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Thanks! Nice study to keep in mind especially in relation to cancer. PDK inhibitors are all the rage right now in an effort to activate PDH. The (in)famous drugs DCA is a PDK inhibitor and this is its main anti-cancer effect.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals