Aspirin Is Harmful To Hearing Alone But Benefical When Paired With Gentamicin (antibiotic)

sweetly

According to these resources...

Search "Roland, Peter S. (2004). Ototoxicity" on Google Books (https://books.google.com/) and it's the first result. If you search salicylate there's load on interesting information regarding aspirin and hearing.

Page 173 states that aspirin when administered with gentamicin in hamsters is actually otoprotective (benefical to the ear) rather than ototoxic (harmful to the ear)(page 173).

Ubiquitous Aspirin: A Systematic Review of Its Impact on Sensorineural Hearing Loss
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4472336/
ASA ingestion of ≥1.95 g per day is associated with worse audiometric results (4–112 dB threshold shift), and data suggest that the effect is dose-dependent and reversible in the short term. There are no audiometric data that confirm that long-term doses of 81 mg or 325 mg daily have no hearing consequences and no data to suggest that these doses should be stopped in the setting of hearing loss. Paradoxically, ASA (in doses shown to be detrimental in isolation) has a protective effect when co-administered with intravenous gentamicin. With the large-scale population utilization of aspirin for cardiovascular prophylaxis, the potential risks to hearing health should be considered for future longitudinal study, particularly given that short-term effects may be reversible.

I find this interesting, considering Peat's positive view of aspirin and antibiotics and how this shows that when combined, aspirin and antibiotics (specifically gentamicin), the result is beneficial to hearing and the ear.

burtlancast

I started myself taking 3g aspirin (1.5 g in the morning, 1.5 at night) but had to stop after 10 days because of tinnitus; it went away a week after i stopped.

Peata

sweetly said:
post 101029 According to these resources...

Search "Roland, Peter S. (2004). Ototoxicity" on Google Books (https://books.google.com/) and it's the first result. If you search salicylate there's load on interesting information regarding aspirin and hearing.

Page 173 states that aspirin when administered with gentamicin in hamsters is actually otoprotective (benefical to the ear) rather than ototoxic (harmful to the ear)(page 173).

Ubiquitous Aspirin: A Systematic Review of Its Impact on Sensorineural Hearing Loss
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4472336/
ASA ingestion of ≥1.95 g per day is associated with worse audiometric results (4–112 dB threshold shift), and data suggest that the effect is dose-dependent and reversible in the short term. There are no audiometric data that confirm that long-term doses of 81 mg or 325 mg daily have no hearing consequences and no data to suggest that these doses should be stopped in the setting of hearing loss. Paradoxically, ASA (in doses shown to be detrimental in isolation) has a protective effect when co-administered with intravenous gentamicin. With the large-scale population utilization of aspirin for cardiovascular prophylaxis, the potential risks to hearing health should be considered for future longitudinal study, particularly given that short-term effects may be reversible.

I find this interesting, considering Peat's positive view of aspirin and antibiotics and how this shows that when combined, aspirin and antibiotics (specifically gentamicin), the result is beneficial to hearing and the ear.

Antibiotic is reducing the endotoxin and/or intestinal irritation?

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Wondering if mixing Aspirin with DMSO and going with topical application would be possible....?

I think they mean it's preventing the damage from the gentamicin.

Parsifal

Charlie said:
post 101048 Wondering if mixing Aspirin with DMSO and going with topical application would be possible....?
Isn't Peat a bit against MSM (so probably DMSO)?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Last edited:

bornamachine

burtlancast said:
post 101039 I started myself taking 3g aspirin (1.5 g in the morning, 1.5 at night) but had to stop after 10 days because of tinnitus; it went away a week after i stopped.

I love how casually thats stated:) A full strength aspirin is .325mg so you were popping like 8 pills a day?

burtlancast

bornamachine said:
post 101066 I love how casually thats stated:) A full strength aspirin is .325mg so you were popping like 8 pills a day?

Well,

I wanted to see what ingesting 6g a day of aspirin would do to me
( Mechanism by which high-dose aspirin improves glucose metabolism in type 2 diabetes)

These guys were taking 6-9 gr a day for 2 weeks or more to lower their hyperglycemia ( i'm not a diabetic though: just curious if i could sustain it before advising others to try it).

bornamachine

burtlancast said:
post 101077
bornamachine said:
post 101066 I love how casually thats stated:) A full strength aspirin is .325mg so you were popping like 8 pills a day?

Well,

I wanted to see what ingesting 6g a day of aspirin would do to me
( Mechanism by which high-dose aspirin improves glucose metabolism in type 2 diabetes)

These guys were taking 6-9 gr a day for 2 weeks or more to lower their hyperglycemia ( i'm not a diabetic though: just curious if i could sustain it before advising others to try it).

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply. I tend to think less is more when dealing with any powerful substance. Be safe :hattip

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom