PROTEIN

velo

Hello wise all, this must have been covered before but can't find anything specific enough through the search function.

I am struggling to get enough protein without PUFAS. I don't tolerate gelatin or milk, I can since recently eat Gouda cheese but adding the Gouda cheese turned my diet from high protein + high carb, into basically high everything (high carb + high protein + high fat) and it is making me a bit fat.

Before I usually ate tuna, lean meat, chicken etc for protein but seems all these things should not be eaten in the quantities I eat them.

How can I sensibly get in 90-100 g of protein per day not from gelatin, milk or broth (too much water, to much time to make several times a week)? I still end up eating a lot of tuna, chicken etc but would like to try to get my PUFA down as low as I can.

YuraCZ

canned tuna is ok = low fat. Skinless chicken/turkey breast is ok = low fat. Whey protein powder is ok. Beef, cod, eggs are ok..

OP
V

velo

YuraCZ said:
post 100827 canned tuna is ok = low fat. Skinless chicken/turkey breast is ok = low fat. Whey protein powder is ok. Beef, cod, eggs are ok..

Thanks. So lean beef is okay? Or just fatty parts? Thought cod + tuna is high in pufa?

I eat eggs but what I can manage daily is three, only about 20 grams of protein.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicholas

0% Greek Yogurt? and any variety of shellfish. scallops are a high source of glycine if you don't want to do broth that often.

mt_dreams

velo said:
YuraCZ said:
post 100827 canned tuna is ok = low fat. Skinless chicken/turkey breast is ok = low fat. Whey protein powder is ok. Beef, cod, eggs are ok..

Thanks. So lean beef is okay? Or just fatty parts? Thought cod + tuna is high in pufa?

I eat eggs but what I can manage daily is three, only about 20 grams of protein.

light & skipjack tuna are low in fat, while varieties like albacore are high in pufa. yellowfin is somewhere in b/w.
beef doesn;t need to be that lean, there's only a small difference in pufa b/w 75% & 95% ground beef.
3 eggs will contain a anywhere from 2-3g in pufa, so they are double the pufa of beef per gram of protein.

low-fat fish/Mollusks & beef will be your best sources of protein, adding in some egg protein. Egg whites if tolerated, are usually well assimilated into the body compared with other proteins.

mushrooms & potatoes protein may also be of some value.

before avoiding all dairy, I would see if you tolerate different cheeses or yogurts, like you just saw with the gouda, as the dairy intolerance might be just a lactose, casein, or whey intolerance. Look for low fat varieties if you are trying to limit fat.

YuraCZ

velo said:
post 100835
YuraCZ said:

I tend to buy cheap ground beef 10-20% fat..

tara

I think one of the issues with eating large amounts of tuna is that they are far enough up the food chain to concentrate toxic metals like mercury?

answersfound

I think it's fine to eat 4 pastured soy free eggs a day. Yes pufas but they are highly nutritious the pros outweigh the cons. That's 25 grams right there. Maybe try goat milk also

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals