Why/how does fat help with satiety?

StrongMom

I seem to have hard time feeling and/or staying full without fats? My understanding is that it is true for a lot of people on this forum. How does it work? What is the mechanism? Any ideas?

Thanks

Nicholas

poor glycogen storage? not eating enough? not eating frequently enough? fats deficiency?
is the fat craving food-specific?

OP
S

StrongMom

Nicholas said:
post 100558 poor glycogen storage? not eating enough? not eating frequently enough? fats deficiency?

Hi Nicholas,

I have all symptoms of poor liver function (and also low pulse and temp). I experimented with various supplements for liver, but nothing seems to work. I think I need to try thyroid and progesterone. But, how does it affect satiety?

Last edited by a moderator:

schultz

I don't know the science behind it, but Ray has mentioned that fat slows absorption of carbohydrate meaning you get a steadier stream of sugar over a longer period instead of burning it up quickly. He also has said it makes the fold taste better, which is just obvious.... Lastly, he mentioned a study where they had a loop of intestine and digestion was most efficient when all three macro nutrients were present.

jyb

Just in terms of calories, fat is dense: a small tub of double cream is 1350 kcal. So if you were eating meals with smaller calorie count, then you'll need to eat more frequently. But there could be many other reasons like a post carb meal hypoglycaemia crash (which should be easy to test with a glucose test strip).

Nicholas

StressedMom said:
post 100560
Nicholas said:
post 100558 poor glycogen storage? not eating enough? not eating frequently enough? fats deficiency?

Hi Nicholas,

I have all symptoms of poor liver function (and also low pulse and temp). I experimented with various supplements for liver, but nothing seems to work. I think I need to try thyroid and progesterone. But, how does it affect satiety?

i'm confused by your question "how does it affect satiety?" do you mean, like, why do i seem to crave it? or why does it seem to hit the spot? my answer would be relative to all the questions i asked as they are questions you have to ask yourself. the very first aspect of healing is often regulating your blood sugar. Then things like liver function, thyroid function, and progesterone levels stabilize then optimize.

OP
S

StrongMom

Nicholas said:
post 100565
StressedMom said:
post 100560
Nicholas said:

Hi Nicholas,

i'm confused by your question "how does it affect satiety?" do you mean, like, why do i seem to crave it? or why does it seem to hit the spot? my answer would be relative to all the questions i asked as they are questions you have to ask yourself. the very first aspect of healing is often regulating your blood sugar. Then things like liver function, thyroid function, and progesterone levels stabilize then optimize.

No I do not crave it. But it feels like I do not feel full without fats no matter the calorie intake is. Besides, in a few minutes after the fat intake with the meal I start feeling full.

GauchoMax

Personaly, I tend to eat less calories when I'm going low-fat, I don't crave food as much. As long as I eat enough fiber (fruits, vegetables), I'll feel stuffed quickly enough.

One thing to consider though is that a sizeable portion of the fibers ingested are metabolized into short-chains saturated fatty acids by the bacterias in the gut.

OP
S

StrongMom

GauchoMax said:
post 112475 Personaly, I tend to eat less calories when I'm going low-fat, I don't crave food as much. As long as I eat enough fiber (fruits, vegetables), I'll feel stuffed quickly enough.

One thing to consider though is that a sizeable portion of the fibers ingested are metabolized into short-chains saturated fatty acids by the bacterias in the gut.

I thought a lot about it and also experimented. I really need for satiety. I know what you are talking about. It happens to my husband a lot. He feels stuffed with fiber, etc. It doesn't work for me.

Here is my hypothesis. I have high estrogen (pcos and many other symptoms). Ray says that estrogen acts like insulin, so I might be very sensitive to even small amounts of carbohydrate consumption. This is my working assumption for now.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals