Serotonin Antagonists Extend Lifespan, SSRI Dramatically Shorten It

haidut

Forum Supporter
This study looked specifically at mianserin, but did compare it to other drugs (including cyproheptadine). The conclusion was that mianserin and cyproheptadine extend lifespan by up to 30% by mimicking the effects of caloric restriction. Interestingly, mianserin increases appetite just like cyproheptadine, which the authors state is what creates a psychological state that makes the organism believe they are in caloric restriction.
Unsurprisingly, a number of SSRI drugs caused decrease in lifespan, sometimes up to 80%!
I have attached the study and the supplemental info. The supplemental info has the full list of the drugs tested and their effects on lifespan. For a good example of Peat being right on serotonin take a look at cyproheptadine's effects on lifespan (+20%) and compare it to a drug like Sertraline (Zoloft, -80%) or Paroxetine (Paxil, -76%) :)

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v4 ... 05991.html

"...Four compounds increased lifespan by 20%-30%: mianserin, mirtazapine, methioteptin and cyproheptadine (Fig. 1 and Supplementary Table 1). In humans, all four compounds are antagonists of serotonin 2 (5-HT2) receptor and, to a variable extent, of certain other biogenic amine receptors."

Attachments

• nature05991.pdf
    337.8 KB · Views: 302
  • nature05991-s1.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 333
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
miko said:
But it's Caenorhabditis elegans :D

Pharma comanies consider the worm a valid model for drug development. They do initial studies on toxicity and dose range using simpler models like the Drosophilla fly and the worm. I guess in this case they neglected to check for lifespan effects when developing the drugs. At least I hope it was a neglect and not concealment of results...

miko

Uh, of course it was neglect! Like in this birth defects from SSRI (sertraline)...

It might be a worm but it follows Ray Peat's idea to the letter, is that not remarkable? Also the most popular prescriptions perform the worst?

jyb

haidut said:
miko said:
But it's Caenorhabditis elegans :D

Pharma comanies consider the worm a valid model for drug development. They do initial studies on toxicity and dose range using simpler models like the Drosophilla fly and the worm. I guess in this case they neglected to check for lifespan effects when developing the drugs. At least I hope it was a neglect and not concealment of results...

They do take it into account. Noticed "suicide" as a listed side effects of some SSRI? Suicide tends to shorten lifespan in humans.