Peat Quote On Music

“Soprano recorders are inexpensive (and fit the hands better than the more expensive, mellower altos), and are convenient for sporadic playing. Playing tunes stimulates the brain in some of the same ways that speaking does, but without the pressure; for example, people who stutter when they speak usually don’t when they sing. The good thing about recorders is that they are convenient, so you can play a little whenever you feel like it, while doing other things. When I was a kid I played violin for a while, but gradually realized that my neck was much too long, and my little finger too weak and slow, for that instrument. In high school I played trumpet, mostly because it was the cheapest instrument, but eventually I bought an old French horn for $25, and an oboe, and in Paracho, Michoacan, ten years ago I finally got a cello—that had always been my favorite instrument. Every time you make sounds on a musical instrument, you are stimulating organized processes in your body—it’s a kind of nourishment.” —Raymond Peat

pboy

awesome and true...but its not a scientific supplement you can put in a capsule, and isn't something you can just stuff down emotion with...so people proabably are gonna forget about this thread in a day

Kasper

I think we talk indeed way to little about things like these, and way too much about diet and supplements.
Music in Ray Peat's theory is a bit strange though. I once read a study that people that listen to sad music and like it, increase prolactin massively.
Where prolactin would act like the hormone that makes people feel better after being sad or something...

milk

Interesting coincidence. I recorded some music today and liked the result, went for a walk afterwards still high on the feeling of accomplishment, walked more confidently than usual, like it lifted me out of my usual depression.

When I began peating and I wasn't doing anything unhealthy like drinking too much, it used to put me in a mood where I'd spontaneously intone some melodies. Like a spontaneous manifestation of well-being.

Sheik

Making music, and particularly singing, has a bigger impact on my day-to-day sense of wellbeing than any diet changes I've made.

montmorency

Curiously, when I started to learn classical & folk guitar in my early twenties, I used to find that if I started off a learning/playing session with a headache, by the time I'd finished it would be gone. Perhaps it was because I got lost in the music and just relaxed.
(Not sure how many headaches my noise induced in my family though). :lol:

kaybb

Music is my life....! Playing piano is number one on my "joy" list! And it usually is a daily occurrence. I might forget to take a supplement but not my music :thumbleft
pboy said:
post 97289 awesome and true...but its not a scientific supplement you can put in a capsule, and isn't something you can just stuff down emotion with...so people proabably are gonna forget about this thread in a day

Last edited by a moderator:

Drareg

This is why churches had organs ,there was a time where people went there to heal mainly from music I believe.
The organ is an incredible instrument.

The movie Interstellar, the docking scene is incredible to watch in the movie theatre, people were gripping the side of the chairs watching it,it's a good scene that is elevated ten fold by the organ within the soundtrack. A modern example of the power the organ possesses.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom