Raising Levels Of Nad+ Reverses Damage Of Diseases Like Ms

haidut

Forum Supporter
The study author says that this should apply to virtually all auto-immune conditions (including allergies), not just MS. Raising levels of NAD+ in the body both reduced the severity of new disease onset, and also reversed the damage caused by already established disease.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 100114.php

"...The scientists performed pre-clinical trials using experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis, a pre-clinical model for human multiple sclerosis. They showed that NAD+ can block acute or chronic inflammation by regulating how immune cells, called CD4+ T cells, differentiate. Mice receiving CD4+ T cells along with NAD+ present had a significant delayed onset of disease, as well as a less severe form, therefore demonstrating the molecule's protective properties.
"This is a universal molecule that can potentially treat not only autoimmune diseases, but other acute or chronic conditions such as allergy, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, sepsis and immunodeficiency," said Stefan G. Tullius, MD, PhD, BWH Chief of Transplant Surgery and Director of Transplantation Surgery Research, lead study author.
Moreover, the researchers demonstrated that NAD+ can restore tissue integrity which may benefit patients that have advanced tissue damage caused by autoimmune diseases. In terms of next steps, ElKhal notes that the lab is currently testing additional pathways and the clinical potential of NAD+."

One of the most reliable methods of raising NAD+ levels in the body is by taking niacinamide. Human doses for raising NAD+ and treating AD and arthritis are in the range 1g-3g daily.

north

Re: Raising levels of NAD+ reverses damage of diseases like

Where can i find that 1-3g of niacin amide raises nad+?
thanks

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

north said:
Where can i find that 1-3g of niacin amide raises nad+?
thanks

I posted a study on niacinamide raising NAD levels at human dosage of 1.5g, and there are also several trials with humans using 3g of niacinamide. Here is one with 3g of niaciamide daily for Alzheimers (which is now being labelled as autoimmune condition and called diabetes Type III).
http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT00580931

There is tons of info on PubMed showing that as little as 100mg-200mg of niacinamide raises NAD levels in humans. However, for actual disease treatment you probably need more. There is too much info for me to synthesize here, but it is well known that niacinamide raises levels of NAD in humans. Nobod is disputing that, so Google around and you will find more links.

Suikerbuik

Very very interesting Haidut, thanks a lot! makes me adrenergic for the rest of the evening :|

One side note:
Tph1 is critical in NAD+ -mediated T-cell differentiation

Suikerbuik

Haidut, or someone else who knows more about this subject. Is dietary tryptophan stimulatory to tryptophan hydroxylase 1(tph1) expression or inhibitory? Also, how does serum serotonin influence tph1 expression?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Suikerbuik said:
Haidut, or someone else who knows more about this subject. Is dietary tryptophan stimulatory to tryptophan hydroxylase 1(tph1) expression or inhibitory? Also, how does serum serotonin influence tph1 expression?

I have seen studies for both - inhibition and stimulation of TPH by tryptophan. The studies that showed inhibition used high doses, often 5g or higher human equivalent. This is from memory, so please search PubMed yourself before making any conclusions.

bodacious

Thanks @haidut

I see this is a relatively old post. Is this still your view on niacinamide? Do you think it's safe to take regular doses of 1000mg+/day niacinamine?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks @haidut

I see this is a relatively old post. Is this still your view on niacinamide? Do you think it's safe to take regular doses of 1000mg+/day niacinamine?

Up to 3,000mg is probably safe even long term. The dose would depend on the condition. I exchanged some emails with the PI running the human study on AD with 3g niacinamide daily and he said there were no side effects except mild nausea. As far as the effects, he said he could not comment but said something along the lines "knowing as much as you do about niacinamide you can guess what they were:): :):". The double emoticons were from him, so I guess we can guess what that means:): Looking forward to reading the published results.
For insulin/sugar issues I think 500mg x 3 daily is good and for most people for general preventive and health optimizing purposes I would use 100mg x 3 daily. Maybe even 250mg x 3 daily if you train a lot of drink alcohol heavily. NAD is used up very fast in strenuous activity and alcohol metabolism.

bodacious

Up to 3,000mg is probably safe even long term. The dose would depend on the condition. I exchanged some emails with the PI running the human study on AD with 3g niacinamide daily and he said there were no side effects except mild nausea. As far as the effects, he said he could not comment but said something along the lines "knowing as much as you do about niacinamide you can guess what they were:) :)". The double emoticons were from him, so I guess we can guess what that means:) Looking forward to reading the published results.
For insulin/sugar issues I think 500mg x 3 daily is good and for most people for general preventive and health optimizing purposes I would use 100mg x 3 daily. Maybe even 250mg x 3 daily if you train a lot of drink alcohol heavily. NAD is used up very fast in strenuous activity and alcohol metabolism.

Thanks again :)

dookie

Haidut, would using nicotinic acid have any beneficial effect on raising Nad+? I know it's not recommended because it can raise prostaglandins temporarily, but I have an allergy to niacinamide, so wondering if the nicotinic acid form would work?

superhuman

Up to 3,000mg is probably safe even long term. The dose would depend on the condition. I exchanged some emails with the PI running the human study on AD with 3g niacinamide daily and he said there were no side effects except mild nausea. As far as the effects, he said he could not comment but said something along the lines "knowing as much as you do about niacinamide you can guess what they were:) :)". The double emoticons were from him, so I guess we can guess what that means:) Looking forward to reading the published results.

I love it. Do you think 250mg 3x a day or 500 or 1000mg 3x a day will hamper fat loss? I mean in theory it should not, it should actually help with fat loss since it will help with detox of PUFA, promote sugar oxidation and burning which increases metabolic rate vs fat burning which lowers it.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I love it. Do you think 250mg 3x a day or 500 or 1000mg 3x a day will hamper fat loss? I mean in theory it should not, it should actually help with fat loss since it will help with detox of PUFA, promote sugar oxidation and burning which increases metabolic rate vs fat burning which lowers it.

At 1,000mg x 3 daily you may be inhibiting fat oxidation. Whether that would contribute to fat gain or not I am not sure but it should strongly inhibit lipolysis so it is possible in theory.