Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

I have tried persistently to eat liver for the vitamin A and other fabulous nutrients, but simply cannot stomach it. Maybe the years of veganism is responsible, or just the taste. I tried liver that had been quickly frozen, as you suggested, and pate also, to no avail.

Is dessicated liver in tablet form any use, or is there a combination of other foods I might use to glean similar nutrients please?

Ray Peat said:
A combination of eggs and oysters would cover the main nutrients, but not as well.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

How much Parmegianno Regiano would one have to eat to obtain enough calcium for one day? I do not like milk, but cheese is nice to eat!

Thank you,

Ray Peat said:
The ratio of calcium to phosphate is more important than the absolute amount of calcium. 4 ounces would usually be enough.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

Is pregnenolone (plus Cynomel) able to convert to DHEA okay with type 1 diabetes, or is it likely to be better to take DHEA itself? (for Beta cell regeneration.)

I read the rabbit study and the caution with regard taking DHEA at the end.

Thank you,

Ray Peat said:
If thyroid function is good, and inflammation is low, about 5 mg of DHEA is probably safe, but I think pregnenolone and cynomel would probably be as effective.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

I have tried what seems like every combination of foods out there to control severe period pains every month.

I tried progest e to no avail. Thyroid meds. Milk, eggs, cheese, coffee, fruit, liver, oysters etc. I was very constipated and had clots the size of my thumb each month. I have diabetes type one also. I added vegetables back in and could at least go to the toilet again that way but the clots were so painful to pass each month.

I managed one period without pain but with severe exhaustion when I changed to just vegetables, fruit, fish and meat (no dairy) but I felt very restricted and lost a lot of weight - I am only 8stone now. I was 9stone previously.

The doctor has now prescribed the contraceptive pill to stop the heavy bleeds and pains, but it is making me very nauseas and I am terrified of putting this unnatural thing into my body.

Is there anything that might help me that I could have missed previously? I wondered if the dairy could be in any way responsible.

Ray Peat said:
Have you kept a record of your (waking and midday) temperature and pulse rate? How were you using the progesterone?
Did your blood glucose or insulin requirement change while using those? Has your vitamin D been measured?

My temps in the morning were around 97, I didn't measure at any other time. They came up a little from 96 initially.

I took progest e on my lips and gums three times a day from mid cycle onwards.

Blood glucose was pretty good considering all the sugar which surprised me (until I read your articles) starch seemed to cause issues as it kicked in a long time after eaten when taken with fats so I had a low after eating it then a high later, due to rapidity of insulin I take. Insulin stayed roughly the same - always goes up mid cycle onwards anyway.

I took vitamin d drops (coconut oil ones) as my levels came back low about 8 months ago. I haven't tested again since. Take about 10,000iu per day.

Any ideas much appreciated - I want to stop this pill I am just very afraid of the severe pain of menses again.

Ray Peat said:
I think a combination thyroid product (such as Armour thyroid USP, Thyrolar, Cynoplus, etc.) might work better. Clots and pain, and the low temperature, imply that your thyroid function was still very low. What has your TSH level been?

I have some Cynoplus here, is it the same as cynomel, cutting into pieces and take through the day? And is diabetes type one okay to handle the combination?

Ray Peat said:
The cynoplus tablets can be divided into pieces so that each dose of T3 is similar to the amount you were taking in cytomel. In diabetes, when cells aren't getting enough glucose, T4 can't be converted to the active T3, and so it can build up in the body to levels that interfere with metabolism, but the advantage of a combination is that T4 inhibits TSH, and TSH is responsible for many of the symptoms.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

Is alcohol all estrogen promoting or are there any that are safe to drink? Spirits?

Ray Peat said:
Pure colorless highly distilled alcohol is the safest. It can have antioxidant effects, but in some people it can interfere with the respiratory enzymes and lower blood sugar. Fructose is protective against some of its toxic effects.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

Are there any safe contraceptive pills? The doctor keeps recommending I take one for heavy periods but I am reluctant to and am trying to address it with diet and lifestyle.

Ray Peat said:
Hypothyroidism is the basic cause of heavy menstruation. Things strong enough to kill an embryo can't be harmless to a person.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

If you had type one diabetes, how would you eat? I crave fat and sugar, but am a little concerned the majority of my calories are coming from fat.

I eat fruit and add white sugar to coffee, eat a lot of cream, butter, cheese etc. also as I crave it and plenty of protein (eggs, steak, lamb, gelatine).

Is sugar preferable as a main fuel source? Due to PUFA's or for other reasons?

Ray Peat said:
PThere are several articles relating to diabetes on my website. Polyunsaturated fats damage the pancreas and increase stress hormones, while glucose stimulates the renewal of insulin-secreting cells. Fruits provide minerals that help to regulate glucose metaboiism, and help to regulate thyroid function.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

I bruise very easily and they take around 3 weeks to disappear completely.

I have read this can be a hypothyroid symptom, maybe low vitamin K and/or D. Please would you let me know if this is true and what may help to stop the bruising.

I have type 1 diabetes so often I am covered in bruising from the injections I take.

Ray Peat said:
Diabetes usually causes some interference with the formation of the active thyroid hormone, leading to increased cortisol relative to progesterone and DHEA. Those vitamins, and pregnenolone and progesterone help to strengthen capillaries.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

I am wondering what kind of dose of pregnenolone is a good starting point and also niacinamide?

I have type one diabetes and would like to try them to help with menses pain, night sweats and easy bruising.

I already take cynoplus, Vit k plus Vit a, d and e on my skin.

I also am trying to find a good source of aspirin to help diabetes, but most UK brands have talc in them and other additives.

Ray Peat said:
Pure aspirin is available by the kilogram. 30 mg of pregnenolone without excipients is o.k.; niacinamide should be tried for allergy reaction, but if there's no reaction, 50 to 75 mg with each meal might help to regulate glucose.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

I read a suggestion that white bread would not be estrogenic due to the lack of fibre.

Do you think white bread would still cause intestinal irritation and endotoxins?

Thanks,

Ray Peat said:
Yes, white bread is usually artificially leavened, and so contains unmodified starch and gluten.

Does this make white bread okay to eat on occasion or is it likely to cause allergic reactions if gluten sensitive?

Ray Peat said:
Yes, it's definitely a problem for people who are sensitive to gluten. Home-made bread, that's soaked for about 12 hours during leavening, is much safer than the typical commercial bread.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

I have type one diabetes and due to night sweats the Doctor has decided to run a thyroid panel and a test for anaemia. Usually in the UK they only test for TSH and I think free T4.

I have been taking cynoplus for about a week now and am up to a third of a tablet a day.

Do you think I should stop taking this prior to the test?

Ray Peat said:
PSince the half-life of T4 is about two weeks, your adaptations to it have just begun, but your TSH would already be significantly lowered by it. After you have been on a certain dose for at least two weeks, the blood tests would be easier to interpret. Did the supplement affect the night sweats?

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

I have been reading an article today on Dr Oram's research using a more sensitive c-peptide test on people with type one diabetes, which showed their beta cells still produce insulin even after many years (30+) of having the disease.

I have recently read your articles also and the implications of DHEA on beta cell regeneration in rabbits.

Is pregnenolone able to convert into DHEA in someone with type one diabetes if supplemented and potentially have the same effect as the DHEA?

Any further reading or information greatly appreciated.

Ray Peat said:
Pregnenolone does convert to either DHEA or progesterone. Sugar and brewer's yeast are other things that help with the regeneration. Keeping free fatty acids low is important, and niacinamide could help with that.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

Is benzoyl peroxide, used on the face, a dangerous product? Especially if pregnant?

It seems to be the only thing that completely eradicates acne for me but I am concerned about prolonged use.

Ray Peat said:
I suspect that it will age the skin. Have you tried topical sulfur and oral tetracycline?

I have some yellow sulphur powder which I have not tried. How would I use it topically?

Is tetracycline something that I would use short term and would it be safe when pregnant?

Ray Peat said:
Antibiotics generally shouldn't be used during pregnancy. Sulfur (precipitated or sublimed) can be mixed into a slurry with water and patted onto the area. Dissolved aspirin used with it increases the antiseptic effect and reduces inflammation.

I have sulphur powder which is yellow but it has a lot of warnings on the pack saying if it touches skin wash with plenty of water, if inhaled remove to fresh air. It says molecular formula S.

So you think this is the right type for a face mask or something dangerous? It was sold as pure brimstone powder.

Ray Peat said:
The people who wrote the label should be removed to fresh air immediately, their brains aren't getting enough oxygen. There are forms of sulfur that are ground, rather than precipitated, and they aren't as effective, but they aren't harmful. If it has a very strong smell, it might be contaminated; the smell should be mildly unpleasant. Ground sulfur/brimstone is commonly used in animal feed, so it isn't toxic.

I do smell a little like a match has been struck now, but no harm to skin!

Does the precipitated sulphur smell like a match also?

Ray Peat said:
Yes, the smell varies slightly. When there's a skin fungal infection, there's a hydrogen sulfide stink, which is what kills the fungus.E

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

I have type one diabetes and thanks to a combination of a low carb diet and stress, I have endured around 5 months of interrupted sleep and lack of sleep.

I am now able to sleep thanks to taking cynoplus, eating adequate carbs (200g plus) and protein (100-120g) and following your basic teachings.

Is it okay to sleep for a long time and skip meals, without affecting the thyroid or increasing cortisol, as often I am able to sleep 10hrs plus at the moment - at weekends.

Ray Peat said:
If you wake up feeling refreshed, I think it's very good to now and then get some extra sleep. Under-sleeping increases nitric oxide, and catch-up sleep lowers it. Niacinamide, coffee, and aspirin are things that lower NO.

DNA Cell Biol. 2014 Aug 5. [Epub ahead of print]
Apoptosis of Beta Cells in Diabetes Mellitus.
Anuradha R(1), Saraswati M, Kumar KG, Rani SH.
(1)Department of Genetics, Osmania University , Hyderabad, India .
Diabetes mellitus is a multifactorial metabolic disorder characterized by
hyperglycemia. Apoptosis in beta cells has been observed in response to diverse
stimuli, such as glucose, cytokines, free fatty acids, leptin, and sulfonylureas,
leading to the activation of polyol, hexosamine, and diacylglycerol/protein
kinase-C (DAG/PKC) pathways that mediate oxidative and nitrosative stress causing
the release of different cytokines. Cytokines induce the expression of Fas and
tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-α) by activating the transcription factor,
nuclear factor-κb, and signal transducer and activator of transcription 1
(STAT-1) in the β cells in the extrinsic pathway of apoptosis. Cytokines produced
in beta cells also induce proapoptotic members of the intrinsic pathway of
apoptosis. The genetic alterations in apoptosis signaling machinery and the
pathogenesis of diabetes include Fas, FasL, Akt, caspases, calpain-10, and
phosphatase and tensin homolog (Pten). The other gene products that are involved
in diabetes are nitric oxide synthase-2 (NOS2), small ubiquitin-like modifier
(SUMO), apolipoprotein CIII (ApoCIII), forkhead box protein O1 (FOXO1), and
Kruppel-like zinc finger protein Gli-similar 3 (GLIS3). The gene products having
antiapoptotic nature are Bcl-2 and Bcl-XL. Epigenetic mechanisms play an
important role in type I and type II diabetes. Further studies on the apoptotic
genes and gene products in diabetics may be helpful in pharmacogenomics and
individualized treatment along with antioxidants targeting apoptosis in diabetes.

Autoimmunity. 1994;19(3):193-8.
Nicotinamide decreases nitric oxide production and partially protects human
pancreatic islets against the suppressive effects of combinations of cytokines.
Eizirik DL(1), Sandler S, Welsh N, Bendtzen K, Hellerström C.
(1)Department of Medical Cell Biology, Uppsala University, Sweden.
It has been recently reported that human pancreatic islets in tissue culture
produce nitric oxide (NO) and show a decreased function when exposed for 6 days
to combinations of cytokines (interleukin-1 beta (IL-1 beta) + tumor necrosis
factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) + interferon-gamma (IFN-gamma). Here we study the
effects of nicotinamide (Nic; 10 or 20 mmol/l) on these deleterious effects of
cytokines (50 U/ml IL-1 beta + 1000 U/ml TNF-alpha + 1000 U/ml IFN-gamma). Islets
were isolated from 8 human pancreata at the Central Unit of the beta-Cell
Transplant, Brussels, sent to Uppsala and, after 3-5 days in culture, exposed for
6 additional days to the cytokines and/or Nic. The cytokines induced a 6-fold
increase in islet NO production (P < 0.001), and this effect was partially
counteracted by Nic (50-60% decrease in NO production; P < 0.001). The cytokines
severely decreased the islet insulin content and glucose-induced insulin release
(16.7 mmol/l glucose; 90% decrease; P < 0.001). Both these effects of cytokines
were partially counteracted by Nic, especially at the highest concentration (20
mmol/l; 2-4-fold increase compared to islets exposed to cytokines alone; P <
0.01). Nic by itself did not affect the insulin content or insulin release by
control islets. In conclusion, the present data indicate that Nic counteracts the
deleterious effects of cytokines on human pancreatic islets. This effect of Nic
may be relevant for the beneficial effects of the drug in early IDDM.

Vitam Horm. 2014;95:299-322.
β-cell responses to nitric oxide.
Broniowska KA(1), Oleson BJ(1), Corbett JA(2).
(1)Department of Biochemistry, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin,
USA.
(2)Department of Biochemistry, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin,
USA. Electronic address: [email protected].
Autoimmune diabetes is characterized by the selective destruction of
insulin-secreting β-cells that occurs during an inflammatory reaction in and
around pancreatic islets of Langerhans. Cytokines such as interleukin-1, released
by activated immune cells, have been shown to inhibit insulin secretion from
pancreatic β-cells and cause islet destruction. In response to cytokines, β-cells
express inducible nitric oxide synthase and produce micromolar levels of the free
radical nitric oxide. Nitric oxide inhibits the mitochondrial oxidation of
glucose resulting in an impairment of insulin secretion. Nitric oxide is also
responsible for cytokine-mediated DNA damage in β-cells. While nitric oxide
mediates the inhibitory and toxic effects of cytokines, it also activates
protective pathways that allow β-cells to recover from this damage. This review
will focus on the dual role of nitric oxide as a mediator of cytokine-induced
damage and the activator of repair mechanisms that protect β-cells from
cytokine-mediated injury.
© 2014 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Diabetes. 1992 Aug;41(8):897-903.
Does nitric oxide mediate autoimmune destruction of beta-cells? Possible
therapeutic interventions in IDDM.
Corbett JA(1), McDaniel ML.
(1)Department of Pathology, Washington University School of Medicine, Saint Louis,
Missouri 63110.
Cytokines have been implicated as immunological effector molecules that induce
dysfunction and destruction of the pancreatic beta-cell. The mechanisms of
cytokine action on the beta-cell are unknown; however, nitric oxide, resulting
from cytokine-induced expression of nitric oxide synthase, has been implicated as
the cellular effector molecule mediating beta-cell dysfunction. Nitric oxide is a
free radical that targets intracellular iron-containing enzymes, which results in
the loss of their function. The cytokine IL-1 beta induces the formation of
nitric oxide in isolated rat islets and the insulinoma cell line, Rin-m5F. NMMA
and NAME, both inhibitors of nitric oxide synthase, completely protect islets
from the deleterious effects of IL-1 beta. These inhibitors are competitive in
nature and inhibit both the cytokine-inducible and constitutive isoforms of
nitric oxide synthase with nearly identical kinetics. This may preclude their use
as therapeutic agents because of increases in blood pressure which result from
the inhibition of constitutive nitric oxide synthase activity. Aminoguanidine, an
inhibitor of nonenzymatic glycosylation of cellular and extracellular
constituents associated with diabetic complications, recently has been reported
to inhibit nitric oxide synthase. Aminoguanidine is approximately 40-fold more
effective in inhibiting the inducible isoform of nitric oxide synthase,
suggesting that aminoguanidine or analogues may serve as potential therapeutic
agents to block diseases associated with nitric oxide production by the inducible
isoform of nitric oxide synthase. In vivo administration of TNF IL-1 has been
shown to induce anti-diabetogenic effects in the NOD mouse. This
anti-diabetogenic effect of cytokines appears to conflict with evidence
suggesting that cytokines mediate beta-cell dysfunction.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT
250 WORDS)

Biochemistry. 1993 Dec 21;32(50):13767-70.
IL-1 beta induces the coexpression of both nitric oxide synthase and
cyclooxygenase by islets of Langerhans: activation of cyclooxygenase by nitric
oxide.
Corbett JA(1), Kwon G, Turk J, McDaniel ML.
(1)Department of Pathology, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis,
Missouri 63110.
Autoimmune diabetes is characterized by an early infiltration of lymphocytes into
and around islets, which is followed by selective destruction of the
insulin-secreting beta-cell. Cytokines released during this inflammatory reaction
have been implicated as effector molecules which mediate beta-cell destruction.
In vitro treatment of rat islets with the cytokine IL-1 beta results in an
inhibition of glucose-stimulated insulin secretion that is mediated by the
overproduction of nitric oxide. IL-1 beta also stimulates the production of the
cyclooxygenase (COX) product prostaglandin E2 (PGE2). In this study we have
examined the effects of IL-1 beta on both inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS)
and inducible cyclooxygenase (iCOX) expression, and the direct effects of nitric
oxide on the activity of COX. Treatment of rat islets with 5 units/mL IL-1 beta
induces a similar time-dependent production of both nitrite and PGE2. IL-1
beta-induced nitrite and PGE2 production is attenuated by the NOS inhibitor
NG-monomethyl-L-arginine (NMMA), but NMMA has no inhibitory effect on the
expression of either iCOX or iNOS as determined by immunoprecipitation.
Actinomycin D prevents IL-1 beta-induced iCOX and iNOS expression and the
production of both nitrite and PGE2 by islets, suggesting that mRNA transcription
is required for IL-1 beta-induced expression of both iNOS and iCOX. The effects
of exogenous arachidonic acid on both constitutive COX (cCOX) and iCOX activity
were also investigated.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)

Endocrinology. 1993 Oct;133(4):1739-43.
Nicotinamide and dexamethasone inhibit interleukin-1-induced nitric oxide
production by RINm5F cells without decreasing messenger ribonucleic acid
expression for nitric oxide synthase.
Cetkovic-Cvrlje M(1), Sandler S, Eizirik DL.
Author information:
(1)Department of Medical Cell Biology, Uppsala University, Sweden.
Nitric oxide (NO) generation may be a final common pathway for beta-cell damage
in early insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Insulin-producing cells express an
inducible form of NO synthase (iNOS), which is similar to that observed in
activated macrophages. Induction of iNOS mRNA in these cells depends on protein
synthesis. To further characterize the regulation of iNOS induction in
insulin-producing cells, RINm5F cells (RIN cells) were exposed for 6 h to human
recombinant interleukin-1 beta (rIL-1 beta; 1 ng/ml) alone or in combination with
either nicotinamide (10, 20, or 50 mM) or dexamethasone (1 or 5 microM). These
agents have been previously shown to prevent activation of iNOS in macrophages,
fibroblasts, and hepatocytes. rIL-1 beta induced the expression of iNOS mRNA in
RIN cells and a 12- to 13-fold increase in medium nitrite accumulation, the
latter indicating NO production. Nicotinamide decreased nitrite production in a
dose-dependent way. Thus, 10 mM nicotinamide decreased rIL-1 beta-induced nitrite
formation by 30%, 20 mM by 60%, and 50 mM by 90%. The highest concentration of
nicotinamide also prevented rIL-1 beta-induced iNOS mRNA, an effect associated
with inhibition of total protein biosynthesis. However, 10 or 20 mM nicotinamide
did not modify rIL-1 beta-induced iNOS mRNA expression or inhibit protein
biosynthesis. Dexamethasone also decreased rIL-1 beta-induced nitrite production
without affecting iNOS mRNA expression. As a whole, these data suggest that both
nicotinamide and dexamethasone may prevent NO accumulation in insulin-producing
cells by posttranscriptional mechanisms. It is also possible that these drugs
induce direct inhibition of iNOS enzymatic activity and/or scavenge NO. Higher
concentrations of nicotinamide might also inhibit iNOS mRNA expression, possibly
by blocking protein biosynthesis.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

Is there a definitive way to tell if a person has gluten sensitivity?

I have type one diabetes and feel very tired if I do eat gluten. I have avoided it ever since but was hoping to eat it occasionally in the form of white bread.

Ray Peat said:
Endoscopy and biopsy can identify it, blood tests are often not reliable. Home made, slowly leavened bread contains much less gluten than the instantly leavened bread most bakeries sell.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

I feel nauseas after certain foods at the moment: eggs, cream, meats, cheese.

I was wondering any possible causes? There is a small chance I could be pregnant but if I was it would only be a week or so. I was wondering if gall bladder could be a consideration?

I have type one diabetes also and the nausea seems to be only after high fat foods.

Unless progest e, pregnenolone or cynoplus could cause nausea?

Ray Peat said:
Diabetes tends to interfere with the activity of thyroid hormone, and low thyroid function is closely connected to gall bladder problems. It's important to have some carbohydrate with protein foods, to prevent decreased blood sugar symptoms.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

Are any of the following supplements / foods ones which should be avoided if trying to be pregnant or during pregnancy?

Cynoplus
pregnenolone
Vitamin K
Vitamin D (on skin)
Vitamin A (on skin nutrisorb)
Niacinamide
Vitamin B1 and B5
Progest E
Coffee with milk and sugar

Ray Peat said:

Bumberleybee

Ray Peat said:
Aspirin helps to increase the oxidation of glucose, reinforcing the effects of thyroid hormone. It can antagonize vitamin K, potentially increasing a bleeding tendency, but with a supplement of K it's safe to test the effects of a standard 5 grain tablet with a meal twice a day, to see if it helps to prevent hyperglycemia. The cynoplus should start with a sixth of a tablet per day, watching for effects during the first two weeks. Too much could raise blood sugar rather than regulating it; I hope no one is suggesting beginning with a whole tablet per day. The appropriate amount of progesterone depends on the need and time of month. Vitamin B1 helps to oxidize glucose, so its use should be adjusted according to need.

Bumberleybee

On skin health (acne)...

Ray Peat said:
Zinc* isn't directly an oxidant, but when it's used as a chemical supplement it can cause problems that it wouldn't in the form of foods. Both vitamin A and zinc are essential in the right amount for good skin health, but too much of either can disturb the immune function. Irritation of the intestine is often involved in skin problems, and supplements always contain trace contaminants that can cause reactions. When ADM bought Distillation Products from Eastman several years ago, the composition of their vitatmin E products went through several changes, and competing companies began making similar changes. Since then research results haven't been as consistent as they were 40 to 60 years ago, and I stopped recommending amounts up to a few hundred units per day, waiting to see more results of research. Some of the products sold as vitamin E now contain significant amounts of PUFA, and lack some of the substances such as octacosanol that were in traditional products. The right amount of thyroid is essential for skin immunity and metabolism of steroids in the skin. Topical anti inflammatory things such as tetracycline and aspirin often produce the quickest response.

Bumberleybee

Acne...

Ray Peat said:
Antibiotics can be used topically, but the tetracycline type is usually taken internally, for their antiinflammatory effect. Changing the diet while using an antibiotic can make the effect permanent.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals