Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Dan W

Fun quotes from Peat about dental x-rays:

T said:
[question about how to navigate a situation where a dentist feels x-rays are pretty much "necessary"]
Ray Peat said:
The legal situation “forces” dentists not to rely on their judgment. Mexican dentists, in a different economy, are able to rely on their judgment, and I have known a couple dentists there who demonstrated their ability to skeptics, doing the work first, then making x-rays to show that their eyes and brains had done the job perfectly.
T said:
[question about light therapy immediately following x-rays]
Ray Peat said:
Dentists have always described the x-ray exposure as “very small,” but I have never known one who in fact knew how much radiation he was exposing his patients to. In the 1980s I went to a US dentist who didn’t object at all when I said I didn’t want x-rays. His left index finger was missing, so I knew why his attitude was different. In the ‘60s and ‘70s there was an epidemic of index finger cancer among US dentists, because it had been common for them to hold the x-ray film in the patient’s mouth while making the exposure. A study in Seattle a few years ago found that, even with heavy shielding of the whole body, a single full mouth set of x-rays caused pregnant women to deliver underdeveloped babies. For over twenty years doctors defended x-raying pregnant women despite the evidence that it caused leukemia and other childhood cancers. As the practice was discarded, the incidence of childhood cancer decreased. Starting in the 1950s, the US government had a huge campaign to justify their bomb program by convincing the public that ionizing radiation was very safe (Project Sunshine). A typical project the government supported was the Monsanto Research Corporation’s proposal for a plutonium-powered coffee pot that would boil water for 100 years without refueling. Our “radiation culture” is crazy.
T said:
[I mentioned how dentists compare x-rays to the sun (like, you would get more radiation from the sun), how dentists say their x-rays are "lower radiation" than they used to be, they're better and digital, etc., how dental hygienists don't go running out of the room now, etc.]
Ray Peat said:
The comparison to the sun really is simply fraudulent. The only digital thing about the new method is the way the image is recorded and displayed, making the process very quick and much cheaper for the dentist, which is why they like them. But it’s the same old ionizing radiation. Hygienists who act like that are just stupid.
T said:
[I shared this link and asked his viewpoint - This is the kind of thing some dentists share if asked about the safety of x-rays: http://www.drplitt.com/dental-x-ray-safety/]
Ray Peat said:
I would say that page was written by a moron. Otherwise, I would have to say that it was written and posted by dishonest people.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re: Aspirin During Pregnancy

Regarding Aspirin During Pregnancy

Ray Peat said:
Aspirin has a good record of safety in pregnancy, paracetamol doesn’t. It became the most commonly used analgesic, displacing aspirin, because of advertising, not science.

Aspirin has been studied mainly in women with a tendency to miscarry or to develop preeclampsia, and it improved the health of their babies, but I don’t know of any good animal studies that would involve a realistic intermittent use of larger doses.

PLoS One. 2014 Sep 24;9(9):e108210.
Associations between acetaminophen use during pregnancy and ADHD symptoms
measured at ages 7 and 11 years.
Thompson JM(1), Waldie KE(2), Wall CR(3), Murphy R(4), Mitchell EA(1); ABC study
group.
Collaborators: Robinson E, Becroft D, Wild C.
(1)Department of Paediatrics, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand.
(2)School of Psychology, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand.
(3)Discipline of Nutrition, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand.
(4)Department of Medicine, The University of Auckland, Auckland New Zealand.
OBJECTIVE: Our aim was to replicate and extend the recently found association
between acetaminophen use during pregnancy and ADHD symptoms in school-age
children.
METHODS: Participants were members of the Auckland Birthweight Collaborative
Study, a longitudinal study of 871 infants of European descent sampled
disproportionately for small for gestational age. Drug use during pregnancy
(acetaminophen, aspirin, antacids, and antibiotics) were analysed in relation to
behavioural difficulties and ADHD symptoms measured by parent report at age 7 and
both parent- and child-report at 11 years of age. The analyses included multiple
covariates including birthweight, socioeconomic status and antenatal maternal
perceived stress.
RESULTS: Acetaminophen was used by 49.8% of the study mothers during pregnancy.
We found significantly higher total difficulty scores (Strengths and Difficulty
Questionnaire parent report at age 7 and child report at age 11) if acetaminophen
was used during pregnancy, but there were no significant differences associated
with any of the other drugs. Children of mothers who used acetaminophen during
pregnancy were also at increased risk of ADHD at 7 and 11 years of age (Conners'
Parent Rating Scale-Revised).
CONCLUSIONS: These findings strengthen the contention that acetaminophen exposure
in pregnancy increases the risk of ADHD-like behaviours. Our study also supports
earlier claims that findings are specific to acetaminophen.

J Endod. 2015 May;41(5):588-593.
Acetaminophen: Old Drug, New Issues.
Aminoshariae A(1), Khan A(2).
(1)Department of Endodontics, Case School of Dental Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio.
Electronic address: [email protected]. (2)Department of Endodontics, University of
North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
INTRODUCTION: The purpose of this review was to discuss new issues related to
safety, labeling, dosing, and a better understanding of the analgesic effect of
acetaminophen.
METHODS: The MEDLINE, Embase, Cochrane, and PubMed databases were searched.
Additionally, the bibliography of all relevant articles and textbooks were
manually searched. Two reviewers independently selected the relevant articles.
RESULTS: Concerns about acetaminophen overdose and related liver failure have led
the US Food and Drug Administration to mandate new labeling on acetaminophen
packaging. In addition, large-scale epidemiologic studies increasingly report
evidence for second-generation adverse effects of acetaminophen. Prenatal
exposure to acetaminophen is associated with neurodevelopmental and behavioral
disorders. Recent studies also suggest that acetaminophen is a hormone disrupter
(ie, it interferes with sex and thyroid hormone function essential for normal
brain development) and thus may not be considered a safe drug during pregnancy.
Finally, emerging evidence suggests that although the predominant mechanism by
which acetaminophen exerts its therapeutic effect is by inhibition of
cyclooxygenase, multiple other mechanisms also contribute to its analgesic
effect.
CONCLUSIONS: Available evidence suggests that indiscriminate usage of this drug
is not warranted. and its administration to a pregnant patient should be
considered with great caution.
Copyright © 2015 American Association of Endodontists. Published by Elsevier Inc.
All rights reserved.

J Hepatol. 2015 May;62(5):1085-91.
Prenatal acetaminophen induces liver toxicity in dams, reduces fetal liver stem
cells, and increases airway inflammation in adult offspring.
Karimi K(1), Keßler T(2), Thiele K(3), Ramisch K(3), Erhardt A(2), Huebener P(4),
Barikbin R(2), Arck P(3), Tiegs G(5).
(1)Institute of Experimental Immunology and Hepatology, University Medical Center
Hamburg-Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany. Electronic address: [email protected].
(2)Institute of Experimental Immunology and Hepatology, University Medical Center
Hamburg-Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany. (3)Laboratory for Experimental Feto-Maternal
Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Fetal Medicine, University Medical Center
Hamburg-Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany. (4)I. Medical Clinic, University Medical
Center Hamburg-Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany. (5)Institute of Experimental
Immunology and Hepatology, University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf, Hamburg,
Germany. Electronic address: [email protected].
BACKGROUND & AIMS: During pregnancy, acetaminophen is one of the very few
medications recommended by physicians to treat fever or pain. Recent insights
from epidemiological studies suggest an association between prenatal
acetaminophen medication and an increased risk for development of asthma in
children later in life. The underlying pathogenesis of such association is still
unknown.
METHODS: We aimed to develop a mouse model to provide insights into the effect of
prenatal acetaminophen on maternal, fetal and adult offspring's health. The toxic
effect of acetaminophen was studied in mice on 1) maternal liver; mirrored by
biomarkers of liver injury, centrilobular necrosis, and infiltration of
granulocytes; 2) fetal liver; reflected by the frequency of hematopoietic stem
cells, and 3) postnatal health; evaluated by the severity of allergic airway
inflammation among offspring.
RESULTS: We observed an increased susceptibility towards acetaminophen-induced
liver damage in pregnant mice compared to virgins. Moreover, hematopoietic stem
cell frequency in fetal liver declined in response to acetaminophen. Furthermore,
a greater severity of airway inflammation was observed in offspring of dams upon
prenatal acetaminophen treatment, identified lung infiltration by leukocytes and
eosinophil infiltration into the airways.
CONCLUSION: Our newly developed mouse model on prenatal use of acetaminophen
reflects findings from epidemiological studies in humans. The availability of
this model will allow improvement in our understanding of how
acetaminophen-related hepatotoxicity is operational in pregnant individuals and
how an increased risk for allergic diseases in response to prenatal acetaminophen
is mediated. Such insights, once available, may change the recommendations for
prenatal acetaminophen use.
Copyright © 2014 European Association for the Study of the Liver. All rights
reserved.

J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2015 Feb;135(2):449-50.
Acetaminophen and childhood asthma: pill-popping at our peril?
Shaheen SO(1).
(1)Centre for Primary Care and Public Health, Barts and The London School of
Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London (QMUL), London, United
Kingdom. Electronic address: [email protected].
Comment on
J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2015 Feb;135(2):441-8.

Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2014 Sep;7(5):655-62. doi:
10.1586/17512433.2014.944502. Epub 2014 Jul 30.
New problems arising from old drugs: second-generation effects of acetaminophen.
Tiegs G(1), Karimi K, Brune K, Arck P.
(1)Institute of Experimental Immunology and Hepatology, University Medical Center
Hamburg-Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany.
Acetaminophen (APAP)/paracetamol is one of the most commonly used
over-the-counter drugs taken worldwide for treatment of pain and fever. Although
considered as safe when taken in recommended doses not higher than 4 g/day, APAP
overdose is currently the most important cause of acute liver failure (ALF). ALF
may require liver transplantation and can be fatal. The reasons for APAP-related
ALF are mostly intentional (suicidal) or unintentional overdose. However, results
from large scale epidemiological studies provide increasing evidence for second
generation effects of APAP, even when taken in pharmacological doses. Most
strikingly, APAP medication during pregnancy has been associated with health
problems including neurodevelopmental and behavioral disorders such as attention
deficit hyperactivity disorder and increase in the risk of wheezing and incidence
of asthma among offspring. This article reviews the epidemiological findings and
aims to shed light into the molecular and cellular mechanisms responsible for
APAP-mediated prenatal risk for asthma.

Can Fam Physician. 2014 Jul;60(7):642.
Acetaminophen in pregnancy and future risk of ADHD in offspring.
Blaser JA(1), Allan GM(2).
(1)Assistant Professor in the Department of Academic Family Medicine at the
University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon. (2)Professor in the Department of Family
Medicine at the University of Alberta in Edmonton.

Lakartidningen. 2014 Aug 20-Sep 2;111(34-35):1350, 1352.
[Paracetamol for children and pregnant--the precautionary principle should
prevail. Be cautious with paracetamol while the risk for ADHD and asthma is being
investigated].
[Article in Swedish]
Axelsson I.

Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2015 May 4.
Changes in the pattern of paracetamol use in the periconception period in a
Danish cohort.
Ersbøll AS(1), Hedegaard M, Damm P, Johansen M, Tabor A, Hegaard HK.
(1)Research Unit,Women's and Children's Health, Rigshospitalet Copenhagen
University Hospital, Copenhagen; Department of Obstetrics, Rigshospitalet
Copenhagen University Hospital, Copenhagen.
Paracetamol is the most commonly used over-the-counter drug in pregnancy. It is
generally considered to be safe, but prolonged antenatal exposure has been
associated with offspring short- and long-term morbidity. Our aim was to describe
the pattern of paracetamol use with a focus on frequent ingestion (>1 time/week),
three months before and in early pregnancy. In this cohort, 8650 pregnant women
responded to a web-based clinical questionnaire that included questions about
drug use. Paracetamol was the most used drug before and in early pregnancy (35.2%
and 6.5% of respondents, respectively). The proportion of frequent users
decreased from 3.9% before to 0.9% in early pregnancy. Frequent paracetamol use
was associated with smoking, co-morbidities, body mass index ≥25 kg/m(2) ,
unplanned pregnancy, no education, and inability to understand Danish. A
significant decrease in the proportion of women with any paracetamol use in early
pregnancy was noted after access to large packs was restricted by legislation.
This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.

Dev Med Child Neurol. 2015 Apr 7.
Use of paracetamol during pregnancy and child neurological development.
de Fays L(1), Van Malderen K, De Smet K, Sawchik J, Verlinden V, Hamdani J, Dogné
JM, Dan B.
(1)Federal Agency for Medicines and Health Products (FAMHP), Brussels, Belgium.
Paracetamol (acetaminophen) remains the first line for the treatment of pain and
fever in pregnancy. Recently published epidemiological studies suggested a
possible association between paracetamol exposure in utero and
attention-deficit-hyperactivity disorder/hyperkinetic disorder (ADHD/HKD) or
adverse development issues in children. However, the effects observed are in the
weak to moderate range, and limitations in the studies' design prevent inference
on a causal association with ADHD/HKD or child neurological development. In
parallel, recent animal data showed that cognition and behaviour may be altered
following exposure to therapeutic doses of paracetamol during early development.
These effects may be mediated by interference of paracetamol with brain-derived
neurotrophic factor, neurotransmitter systems (including serotonergic,
dopaminergic, adrenergic, as well as the endogenous endocannabinoid systems), or
cyclooxygenase-2. However, no firm conclusion can be made on the relevance of
these observations to humans. We conclude that additional well-designed cohort
studies are necessary to confirm or disprove the association. In the context of
current knowledge, paracetamol is still to be considered safe in pregnancy and
should remain the first-line treatment for pain and fever.

viewtopic.php?p=83461#p83461

Peatri Dish

I wrote:

I have encountered a new problem. I took clindamycin in July and have developed chronic watery stool since August. I have only been able to stop the diarrhea with cyproheptadine. I am now experiencing normal bowel movements but my stomach is swelling and I have gained about 15 lbs. I have been taking methylene blue orally for about a week, I am up to 2mg three times a day. I have also just started aspirin with it.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you in advance!

Dr Peat:

Checking your diet for things causing digestive problems (e.g., undercooked vegetables, starches), and low thyroid function should be investigated as a possibility

How do I know the right amount of aspirin as a blood thinner instead of heparin or warfarin?

''clotting time must be measured when taking any anticoagulant''

bryguy

Regarding Testicular Cancer/bleeding during surgery while taking aspirin

Dear Dr. Peat,

First, thank you for all that you do, and have done, for the nutrition and health community.

Second, I have a family member who has recently been diagnosed with testicular cancer and is slated to have one of his testicles removed on Monday. From what it sounds like and others have interpreted from your research, testicular cancer seems to be related to excess unopposed estrogen relative to testosterone. So far the seemingly easiest remedy seems to be the inclusion of high dose aspirin in the range of 3-5 grams per day.

My question(s) are, is that what you would consider to be accurate and effective, and if not, what would you suggest? Also, would aspirin prior to surgery be problematic or would you wait until after the surgery to implement, if that is what you see as the best course of action?

Thank you very much.

HIs Response:

If vitamin K is used generously, aspirin wouldn’t be likely to cause a bleeding problem. Progesterone could be used to lower luteinizing hormone before surgery, if that’s high. I think tetracycline (or a derivative) would be helpful to use with the aspirin. It’s important to check thyroid function and vitamin D.

Dan W

An answer to someone's question about tongue, teeth, and gum problems (also available on the wiki alongside similar responses):

Ray Peat said:
There are some strong nervous and circulatory interactions between the intestine and the mouth, affecting surfaces and periodontal health, tooth sensitivity, etc. I knew a dentist who stopped doing periodontal surgery when he found that his patients were more easily cured with a laxative. Camphoric acid has been used as an intestinal disinfectant to remedy problems such as coated or sore tongue or bad breath. The tetracyclines have similar effects. Vitamins D and K are important.

Bumberleybee

Dear Dr Peat,

Is increasing muscle tone the best way to eliminate cellulite for an already slim woman? I do not understand the true cause of cellulite and if it is linked to stores PUFA's or if if is just a female trait to do with the structure of underlying tissues?

Thank you.

Ray Peat said:
Building muscle with an anabolic diet, and the right kind of activity, causes a hormonal shift.

Bumberleybee

Dear Dr Peat,

Is Tapioca Starch, presumably used as a thickening ingredient, something that may cause endotoxins?

Thank you

Ray Peat said:
Yes, any starch can; long cooking, and butter or cream, can reduce that effect.

Bumberleybee

Do you think if when using cynomel and a pro-thyroid diet and the body temperature stays under 98F but the pulse rate at times goes up to 81-5 then it could just be from a surge of adrenaline?

Ray Peat said:
If it's from your basic metabolism, it will stay close to that all day while sitting.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

Do you think that leaky gut, caused by gluten, could be a main causative factor in the initiation of type 1 autoimmune diabetes?

I have noticed recently a lot of focus in paleo communities on autoimmune diets, which omit many potentially allergenic foods, saying they can heal autoimmune conditions and linking these diseases to leaky gut.

Ray Peat said:
Have you seen my website article on milk? It mentions some of the things behind gluten sensitivity. Hypothyroidism is one thing that commonly causes leaky gut, as well as leaky liver, muscles, heart, thyroid gland, etc. The immune system reacts to the leakiness, and although it might be an effect, rather than a cause, the presence of antibodies is sometimes said to show autoimmunity.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

I have been taking the following supplements for type 1 diabetes. I have read your milk article now and diabetes one also.

Do you think these supplements are the most beneficial, alongside diet (milk, eggs, liver, oysters, orange juice, coffee etc)?

Niacinamide 250mg a day
Pregnenolone 50mg a day
T3 low dose building up
Vitamin D 8000iu a day
Cascara Sagrada (does contain silica- bad?)

Coffee and chocolate for magnesium. Not sure where to find thiamine (liver?)

Ray Peat said:
All those foods contain some thiamine and niacinamide, is there a special reason for that much niacin? Coffee is a good source.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

What do you think of the reliability of the Cyrex Lab panels that test blood for cross reactive foods?

They supposedly link protein structures found in other foods to those in gluten, saying that molecular mimicry could cause potatoes, chocolate, coffee, white rice, and many other foods, to cause the same gut damage as gluten itself?

Thank you.

Ray Peat said:
The presence of specific antibodies means that someone has been exposed to an antigen, but it doesn't indicate that they
will reacti badly to it.

Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2009 Feb;20(1):35-41.
High levels of IgG4 antibodies to foods during infancy are associated with
tolerance to corresponding foods later in life.
Tomicić S, Norrman G, Fälth-Magnusson K, Jenmalm MC, Devenney I, Böttcher MF.
Division of Pediatrics, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, and
Unit of Clinical Experimental Research, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linköping
University, Linköping, Sweden. [email protected]
Children with eczema and sensitization to foods are recommended skin care and, if
food allergy is proven by challenge, an elimination diet. For most children the
diet period is transient, but the process behind tolerance development and the
influence of decreased allergen exposure is not fully known. The aim of the study
was to investigate the effect of elimination diet on serum and salivary
antibodies and to identify immunological parameters related to the ability to
tolerate foods. Eighty-nine children, below 2 yr of age, with eczema and
suspected food allergy were included. Recommended treatment was skin care to all
children, and 60 children had a period of elimination diet. At 4(1/2) yr of age,
the children were divided into two groups, based on if they had been able to
introduce the eliminated foods, or not. Serum and salivary antibodies were
analyzed with enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and UniCAP before and after a
6-wk treatment period and at 4(1/2) yr of age. Children sensitized to egg and/or
milk that could eat and drink the offending foods at 4(1/2) yr of age, had higher
levels of Immunoglobulin G(4) antibodies to ovalbumin and beta-lactoglobulin and
also higher IgG(4)/Immunoglobulin E ratios on inclusion in the study, than those
who had to eliminate egg and/or milk from their diet, beyond 4(1/2) yr of age.
The highest IgG(4)/IgE ratios were found in children with circulating IgE
antibodies to egg and/or milk but negative skin prick test on inclusion. The 6-wk
treatment period did not significantly affect the levels of serum and salivary
antibodies. In conclusion, eczematous, food sensitized infants with high levels
of IgG(4) and high ratios of IgG(4)/IgE antibodies to food allergens are more
likely to consume these foods at 4(1/2) yr than infants with low levels and
ratios.

Mucosal Immunol. 2010 Sep;3(5):461-74.
Breast milk immune complexes are potent inducers of oral tolerance in neonates
and prevent asthma development.
Mosconi E, Rekima A, Seitz-Polski B, Kanda A, Fleury S, Tissandie E, Monteiro R,
Dombrowicz DD, Julia V, Glaichenhaus N, Verhasselt V.
INSERM, U924, Valbonne, France.
Allergic asthma is a chronic lung disease resulting from an inappropriate T
helper (Th)-2 response to environmental antigens. Early tolerance induction is an
attractive approach for primary prevention of asthma. Here, we found that
breastfeeding by antigen-sensitized mothers exposed to antigen aerosols during
lactation induced a robust and long-lasting antigen-specific protection from
asthma. Protection was more profound and persistent than the one induced by
antigen-exposed non-sensitized mothers. Milk from antigen-exposed sensitized
mothers contained antigen-immunoglobulin (Ig) G immune complexes that were
transferred to the newborn through the neonatal Fc receptor resulting in the
induction of antigen-specific FoxP3(+) CD25(+) regulatory T cells. The induction
of oral tolerance by milk immune complexes did not require the presence of
transforming growth factor-beta in milk in contrast to tolerance induced by
milk-borne free antigen. Furthermore, neither the presence of IgA in milk nor the
expression of the inhibitory FcgammaRIIb in the newborn was required for
tolerance induction. This study provides new insights on the mechanisms of
tolerance induction in neonates and highlights that IgG immune complexes found in
breast milk are potent inducers of oral tolerance. These observations may pave
the way for the identification of key factors for primary prevention of
immune-mediated diseases such as asthma.

Clin Exp Allergy. 2012 Nov;42(11):1630-7.
Individual cow's milk allergens as prognostic markers for tolerance development?
Ahrens B, Lopes de Oliveira LC, Grabenhenrich L, Schulz G, Niggemann B, Wahn U,
Beyer K.
Department of Pediatric Pneumology and Immunology, Charité, Universitätsmedizin,
Berlin, Germany.
Comment in
Clin Exp Allergy. 2012 Nov;42(11):1549-51.
BACKGROUND: Cow's milk allergy (CMA) is one of the most common causes of food
allergy in the first years of life. Fortunately, the majority of children with
CMA develop clinical tolerance with time. However, no good individual markers
exist to predict whether this will occur. Therefore, a prognosis to identify
children with persistent CMA at diagnosis would be helpful.
OBJECTIVE: In this study, we sought to assess whether measurement of IgE to
individual allergens of cow's milk (CM) would separate patients with persistent
CMA from those who became clinically tolerant to CM over time.
METHODS: A total of 52 patients ranging from 3 months to 114 months of age with
proven CMA by DBPCFC were followed over time. From these 52 patients, 32 (61.5%)
patients became tolerant in the analysed time period. All patients were
rechallenged at least once, some were rechallenged two or three times. Serum was
analysed prior to each challenge for specific IgE, IgG and IgG4 binding to crude
CM protein as well as to individual allergens of CM.
RESULTS: The individual likelihood of outgrowing CMA significantly correlates
with a low level of CM-specific IgE as well as a low level of specific IgE to
α-lactalbumin, β-lactoglobulin (Bos d5.0102), κ-casein and α(s1) -casein. No
significant correlation was found for IgE levels to total casein, lactoferrin,
β-casein and β-lactoglobulin (Bos d5.0101) as well as IgG and IgG4 levels to
α-lactalbumin, β-lactoglobulin and total casein.
CONCLUSIONS: CM-specific IgE is a good prognostic marker for persistence of CMA.
In addition, component-resolved diagnostic showed similar results. However, in
our view, the rising laboratory costs do not justify a measurement on a daily
basis. Additional determination of specific IgG or IgG4 levels was not useful in
predicting tolerance development in our study population.
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

Are thyroid blood tests (full panels) a worthwhile exercise prior to supplementing cynomel and a few months later?

Thank you

Ray Peat said:
They are interesting, but usually free T3 and TSH are the most important ones. Judging by symptoms, temperature, and pulse rate is really the basic thing.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

Once pancreatic cells of the pancreas have been destroyed or are continually being destroyed (autoimmune diabetes) is there any hope for regeneration? I was wondering how to stop the destruction and if you know of any studies I could read please.

Thank you,

Ray Peat said:
Glucose stimulates regeneration, and pregnenolone, progesterone, and DHEA help to keep them alive. Thyroid and good nutrition gradually help to detoxify the stored fats that are responsible for killing them. Aspirin and niacinamide help in different ways.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

Do you still teach people at any colleges or universities? I live in the UK, it is a shame your books are not yet available here. You are always very kind to answer my questions and your articles are really useful. Just hungry for more information!

Ray Peat said:
I just do occasional seminars. The current culture of colleges and universities in the US favors a career-centered conformism, nothing that I would fit into.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

I seem to be naturally gravitating / craving a higher fat ratio by calories. Around 50% fat, 35-40% carbs and 10-15% protein.

I have type 1 diabetes and fat is mostly saturated, except the natural omega 6 content: cheese, cream, butter, eggs etc.

Does this seem too much fat or is there a reason I am likely craving it?

It works out around 115g fat per day.

Ray Peat said:
Increased metabolic rate could increase fat appetite.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

I have type one diabetes and started too fast on cynomel (adrenaline surge I think as I felt a little wired after 10mcg with food twice a day). I understand now 4mcg of T3 an hour is typical of the bodies natural rhythm.

What is a typical start dose for T3 and how long until an increase can be made?

Also, do people usually need cynomel and cynoplus?

There is a lot of confusing info out there.

Ray Peat said:
Free fatty acids are usually high in diabetes, and interfere with glucose use. Aspirin and niacinamide help to lower stress increased fatty acids, so allow exercised muscles to use more glucose. 2 or 3 mcg of cynomel with some food should help to avoid the adrenaline. Vitamins D and K, and salt and calcium, are other things that improve glucose use. Since the liver needs glucose and glycogen to convert T4 into T3, diabetes usually interferes with the conversion. A blood test could show if the ratio of T4 to T3 is very high.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

I was wondering if you had T1 diabetes, if you would follow a higher sugar or higher fat diet?

Ray Peat said:
Because of the harmful effect of PUFA, I think it's good to keep all fat intake somewhat low, because even butter and coconut oil contain about 2% PUFA. Fruits and vegetables have sugar in a good balance with the minerals needed to metabolize it.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

I suffer from very painful cramps (menses) and recently started 50mg pregnenolone per day before bed.

I also have cheese for calcium, salt to taste, boiled, salted greens water which I crave especially pre-menses, eggs, coffee, sugar, chocolate, OJ, liver pate, butter, T3 Cynomel (about 18mcg per day) etc. I sometimes eat meat, but mostly white fish or shellfish and cheese for protein each day.

How long is it likely to take to make a difference to the cramps each month? They were still painful this month, but after only about 3 weeks of the above protocol. I have type 1 diabetes also.

Ray Peat said:
Have you seen effects on your temperature and pulse rate from the Cynomel? The need for T3 increases premenstrually, and is probably greater with diabetes.

Bumberleybee

Dear Ray,

I have just received some animal aspirin I ordered, but it smells like vinegar. I understand this could mean it is decomposing. Does this make it unsafe to take?

Ray Peat said:
It breaks down into salicylic acid and acetic acid, and both of those are safe.