Does thyroid use up calcium in the body?

OP
mayweatherking
Joocy_J said:
post 100638 I am in the same boat OP, I didn't take finasteride, but I am falling apart and can't get anything to work for me either.

Did you get bloodwork done? I did all of roddys recommendations and got this far.. but apparently my 5ar is broken so im running into problems. If your system isnt ****88 like me.. you could probably take advantage and have your system come back online.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
mayweatherking
BingDing said:
post 100608 The summary answer is high thyroid and low estrogen. Everything follows from that. The bad news is that it can take a few years to recover from a very low state. The good news is that it can take a few years to recover from a very low state.

Getting replete in vitamins and minerals is crucially important, and it is not especially easy. There are lots of poor foods and supplements out there. Amino acids are building blocks for not only proteins but for hormones, neurotransmitters, enzymes, cofactors in metabolic pathways, and what would be called vitamins except we can make them ourselves.

A guy wrote a book called "The 120 Year Diet". Implying the maximum human lifespan of 120 years, the diet was wrong but the idea is sound; what we eat today should be what we eat for the rest of our lives. If it takes a few years for RP's advice to correct previous mistakes, so what? We'll never make the same mistakes again.

Yeah I hope so.. I hope so.

Joocy_J

mayweatherking said:
post 100644
Joocy_J said:
post 100638 I am in the same boat OP, I didn't take finasteride, but I am falling apart and can't get anything to work for me either.

Did you get bloodwork done? I did all of roddys recommendations and got this far.. but apparently my 5ar is broken so im running into problems. If your system isnt f***ed like me.. you could probably take advantage and have your system come back online.

I am getting bloodwork done this week. I was really healthy a few years ago, but had a lot of stress that brought me back to a low energy state. Just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one feeling like ***t.

tara

Along with other good suggestions, Peat pointed out that thyroid supps can increase muscle uptake of magnesium, sometimes leving too little Mg in circulation. Magnesium is one of the crucial cofactors for good calcium metabolism. For some people he has suggested supplementing Mg along with thyroid.

If you are underweight and undereating, that could hold back your recovery.

OP
mayweatherking
tara said:
post 100692 Along with other good suggestions, Peat pointed out that thyroid supps can increase muscle uptake of magnesium, sometimes leving too little Mg in circulation. Magnesium is one of the crucial cofactors for good calcium metabolism. For some people he has suggested supplementing Mg along with thyroid.

If you are underweight and undereating, that could hold back your recovery.

I see. You could be right.. I may need a lot of liver then...

tara

mayweatherking said:
post 100709 I see. You could be right.. I may need a lot of liver then...
I don't know that liver has much magnesium, specifically, thought it is great for fat-soluble vitamins and B-vits and some of the minerals we need a little of. I think it's great to eat a little liver regularly, but I wouldn't make it a major source of calories. OJ an coffee have some, but supplements seem useful for some of us. Eg you could try 100mg of Mg in an absorbable form with every dose of thyroid, and at least 400mg Mg from all sources over the day.

I use Mg glycinate and sometimes Mg bicarbonate (recipe linked somewhere - you can't buy it in this form). Some people seem to get good results from Mg sulphate (Epsom salt) baths or Mg chloride topical or oral.

OP
mayweatherking
tara said:
post 100711
mayweatherking said:
post 100709 I see. You could be right.. I may need a lot of liver then...
I don't know that liver has much magnesium, specifically, thought it is great for fat-soluble vitamins and B-vits and some of the minerals we need a little of. I think it's great to eat a little liver regularly, but I wouldn't make it a major source of calories. OJ an coffee have some, but supplements seem useful for some of us. Eg you could try 100mg of Mg in an absorbable form with every dose of thyroid, and at least 400mg Mg from all sources over the day.

I use Mg glycinate and sometimes Mg bicarbonate (recipe linked somewhere - you can't buy it in this form). Some people seem to get good results from Mg sulphate (Epsom salt) baths or Mg chloride topical or oral.

i don't want to jump on a supplement band wagon because i have done htat before and gotten worse. i all ready feel like i am doing a lot with K2, D, and E. are there specific food sources? i don't think my problem is i'm missing magnesium.

btw.. it's so odd. today i ate potato chips, the first pufa's i have eaten in a long time. and i realize how much i am screwed up. when i eat the pufa's, i lose all emotions and come back to reality almost, where i don't really feel anything and don't feel normal feelings kind of. it's like a very flat feeling. but, when doing peat style, i feel very emotional, like very effected by everything. it's so odd. i think it is the very high estrogen and the peat style diet just allows me to feel emotions in general. i think if my T was high i would be in better shape.

i'm very worried about taking progesterone and DHEA.. i see people on the propecia forum overloaded their body's with progesterone. man.. this is so bad...

i'm thinking about saving a lot of money and going to live on a mexican beach like ray peat does for like 2 weeks and just swim and be in the sun all day, maybe that will be enough vitamin D and get away from all the internet and TV for a while.

tara

mayweatherking said:
post 100712 i don't want to jump on a supplement band wagon because i have done htat before and gotten worse. i all ready feel like i am doing a lot with K2, D, and E. are there specific food sources? i don't think my problem is i'm missing magnesium.

You can put your typical day's diet in cronometer, and assess how much Mg you are getting from your food. Also use it to assess how you can get more from food. Leafy greens are another food source - Peat sometimes recommends broth from kale and other greens. I think going for at least 400mg a day may be a good target. It is apparently common for people to be deficient, and it can affect mood as well as other issues. Peat says eating enough salt (NaCl) helps retain Mg. While you are at it, you can check your calories, protein, calcium, phosphorus, zinc, selenium intake, etc.

How much progesterone were people taking to overload? Men don't usually need much. Some say they benefit from a little. There are other ways to address excess estrogen.

OP
mayweatherking
tara said:
post 100713
mayweatherking said:
post 100712 i don't want to jump on a supplement band wagon because i have done htat before and gotten worse. i all ready feel like i am doing a lot with K2, D, and E. are there specific food sources? i don't think my problem is i'm missing magnesium.

You can put your typical day's diet in cronometer, and assess how much Mg you are getting from your food. Also use it to assess how you can get more from food. Leafy greens are another food source - Peat sometimes recommends broth from kale and other greens. I think going for at least 400mg a day may be a good target. It is apparently common for people to be deficient, and it can affect mood as well as other issues. Peat says eating enough salt (NaCl) helps retain Mg. While you are at it, you can check your calories, protein, calcium, phosphorus, zinc, selenium intake, etc.

How much progesterone were people taking to overload? Men don't usually need much. Some say they benefit from a little. There are other ways to address excess estrogen.

I'll have to go back and look, but I'm not sure. I will go for that target.

BTW, the king emailed me back today! Here's what ray said:

A vitamin D deficiency could be the cause, a blood test could find out. Vitamin K also directly regulates calcium, thyroid affects it indirectly. It’s important to have plenty of calcium in the diet, and to avoid an excess of phosphate.

My vitamin D was well below the line, but it jumped up to 44 I believe. I've been doing between 10k-15k a day in vitamin D and my temperature always goes up after I have it. Maybe it's possible it's still not there yet, but it should be, that is a good level. I'll have to get it retested again.

Giraffe

mayweatherking said:
post 100712 i don't think my problem is i'm missing magnesium.
We tend to lose magnesium when we are stressed. I would give it a shot to see if it makes a difference.

mayweatherking said:
post 100714 My vitamin D was well below the line, but it jumped up to 44 I believe. I've been doing between 10k-15k a day in vitamin D and my temperature always goes up after I have it. Maybe it's possible it's still not there yet, but it should be, that is a good level. I'll have to get it retested again.
Have you tried light therapy for vitamin D? The light can lift your mood pretty quick. This makes you handle stress better.

OP
mayweatherking
Giraffe said:
post 100722
mayweatherking said:
post 100712 i don't think my problem is i'm missing magnesium.
We tend to lose magnesium when we are stressed. I would give it a shot to see if it makes a difference.

mayweatherking said:
post 100714 My vitamin D was well below the line, but it jumped up to 44 I believe. I've been doing between 10k-15k a day in vitamin D and my temperature always goes up after I have it. Maybe it's possible it's still not there yet, but it should be, that is a good level. I'll have to get it retested again.
Have you tried light therapy for vitamin D? The light can lift your mood pretty quick. This makes you handle stress better.

Ok I will try it and no I haven't. I was going to buy at one point but didnt go through woth it regarding light.. I'll give it a try.

OP
mayweatherking
In other news.. my stool came out today as completely yellow. Oh joy. All I can say its because bile salts are messed up.. but I have no clue what to do about that.. I'll try looking AROUND here to see if there is anyone else who has similar problems

OP
mayweatherking
Just found out my stool is yellow so nothing is being absorbed. Thats just great. .. jesus christ what the hell. Its either because low dose thyroid messed me up or I ate potato chips yesterday. Im leaning towards thyroid.

Wow dude.. wow. Any one hage any ideas? @haidut do you have any clue what I should do? I have literally no one to give my money to to help me figure it out im all ears.

I think milk may be bad for me and I might just try to stick with protein and oj and egg shell for now.

haidut

Forum Supporter
mayweatherking said:
post 100766 Just found out my stool is yellow so nothing is being absorbed. Thats just great. .. jesus christ what the hell. Its either because low dose thyroid messed me up or I ate potato chips yesterday. Im leaning towards thyroid.

Wow dude.. wow. Any one hage any ideas? @haidut do you have any clue what I should do? I have literally no one to give my money to to help me figure it out im all ears.

I think milk may be bad for me and I might just try to stick with protein and oj and egg shell for now.

Have you had liver tests including bilirubin? How about tests for pancreatic enzymes such as lipase, amylase, protease? I would suggest getting these done and then we can talk more about what to ask your doctor. Right now I don't have much to go by.

OP
mayweatherking
haidut said:
post 100775
mayweatherking said:
post 100766 Just found out my stool is yellow so nothing is being absorbed. Thats just great. .. jesus christ what the hell. Its either because low dose thyroid messed me up or I ate potato chips yesterday. Im leaning towards thyroid.

Have you had liver tests including bilirubin? How about tests for pancreatic enzymes such as lipase, amylase, protease? I would suggest getting these done and then we can talk more about what to ask your doctor. Right now I don't have much to go by.

Thanks. I just got all that drawn.. I should know tomorrow.

My temp dropped to 98.1 and my pulse is like 64 !! Damn.

OP
mayweatherking
@haidut emergency question. Would taking too much calcium cause loss of calcium from body when taking thyroid? I noticed I stopped taking egg shell for one milk and oj session and coffee and I felt way better.. maybe I was too mhch calcium.. is it possible?

Or anyone.. is this possible? Maybe that was my mess up? I was taking 1/2 teaspoon 4 or 5 times a day everytime I had a cup of milk and oj. Coffee def. Helped me out. Any insight would be beyond amazing. I feel like I'm so close to figuring this out.. jeeeez.

OP
mayweatherking
Im trying to control this damn hair loss.... I felt better without it for now.. but i dk the right amt of calcium.. how to know what to take? Lol

haidut

Forum Supporter
mayweatherking said:
post 100981 @haidut emergency question. Would taking too much calcium cause loss of calcium from body when taking thyroid? I noticed I stopped taking egg shell for one milk and oj session and coffee and I felt way better.. maybe I was too mhch calcium.. is it possible?

Or anyone.. is this possible? Maybe that was my mess up? I was taking 1/2 teaspoon 4 or 5 times a day everytime I had a cup of milk and oj. Coffee def. Helped me out. Any insight would be beyond amazing. I feel like I'm so close to figuring this out.. jeeeez.

I don't know what exactly happened but you may have caused temporary hypercalcemia with all this calcium and in the process depleted some cofactor required for pancreas or liver to work. Or you could have gotten a "milk alkali" syndrome.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk-alkali_syndrome
The blood tests should show what happened, however keeping calcium intake at about 2g is probably best for now.

tara

mayweatherking said:
post 100981 @haidut emergency question. Would taking too much calcium cause loss of calcium from body when taking thyroid? I noticed I stopped taking egg shell for one milk and oj session and coffee and I felt way better.. maybe I was too mhch calcium.. is it possible?

You could try taking 1/4 tsp instead of a half. I've seen various estimates of how much calcium is in a tsp eggshell powder, from 800mg- 1800mg. I think calcium carbonate is about 40% calcium by weight, so for every gram of eggshell, you'd be getting about 400mg calcium. I would guess a tsp would be 3-4g calcium carbonate, so 1200-1600mg calcium. If you are drinking lots of milk as well, this may be plenty. I just hunted for Mittir's calculation on this, and didn't find it.
You need good Mg levels to make good use of calcium. Have you checked your intake of Mg?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals