Greatings from Abu Dhabi

milk_lover

Hello Everybody!

I'd like to introduce myself. I am a 25-years male from Abu Dhabi, the UAE. Before I went to the USA to study in 2007, I had a good strong and bulky body because of our traditional food (lots of camel milk, ghee, dates, feasts on entire animals, etc.). I did my bachelor and master in the USA for a total of six years and a half. I gained a lot of weight. Like a lot. And it was mostly fat. I was eating the American diet (lots of pizza, lean meat etc). Two years ago, I educated myself about food and health in a hope to lose weight. I went to a sub on reddit called keto, which is basically a low carb high fat diet forum. I cut white sugars and fruits almost completely for over a year. I cut milk, which I truly enjoy because it makes me feel happy and energetic and makes me perform better in school. I replaced it with a lot of water bottles and black coffee with no sugar. I didn't eat rice nor bread. I was eating a lot of nuts, salmon, tuna, muscle meats, eggs, and butter. My carb intake was below 50 g.

Surely, the weight gradually started to melt from my body, maybe 2 lbs every week. I felt it's working weight-wise. But there were some alarms. I couldn't perform well in my last semester of graduate school. My teachers were shocked when I told them I am not going to do a thesis, only take classes. They know I am smart academically, but my body failed me. I was under the impression this is for a greater good; my body was just in a transition phase until it reaches optimal health. Another alarm was that my joyful funny personality disappeared. I was not fun to be around like I used to. I hardly laughed. I hardly socialized except with online people on a forum. My hair was falling down, my skin became filled with bumps not smooth like it used to be. I had insomnia. My stomach was aching and hurting. I had tension headaches all the time. My body was basically not in peace internally and externally. But the weight was coming off. I kept telling myself, "it's working just be patient until my body adopts being a fat-burner." Whatever that means! I finished my masters. I returned home.

My family and mother thought I was sick. I looked sick and miserable and thin. My mother told me this is not normal. I stayed in my room when they ate "carb food." My mother made me one day warm milk with honey and saffron, the drink I've always loved growing up, but I refused to drink :cry: It was weird to refuse to eat/drink what the body's craving. Five months later, something inside telling me I had to dramatically change my eating habits. I read the Perfect Health Diet by Paul Jaminet and I started to introduce carbs in my life. I still was not feeling my best. He argues against milk so blindly I followed his advice :slap I kept losing weight mainly because I didn't eat enough calories due to the copious amounts of water I consumed, but I had less of a puffy face (thyroid gland kicking in?). The problem with his white rice advice especially in my country is that the freaking restaurants everywhere soak the rice with vegetable oil! deadly food preparation now I think of it. All this craziness lasted until I had a wonderful talk with my 75 years old grandfather.

I will talk in another time about what my grandfather told me and how that led me eventually to Ray Peat and his ideas. Long story short, I was enlightened by my grandfather's simple ideas and Ray Peat's scientific interpretation of the body interaction with the environment through food, light, etc,.

tara

:welcome milk_lover

XPlus

Welcome to the forum.

Certainly, traditional diets are much better than the junk you'd get from a typical modern supply chain.

You're lucky if you still have access to fresh minimally processed food from pastured/wild animals as well as ripe friut.
I guess it's very difficult for the average consumer considering the climate and rapid industrilisation of the gulf countries.

So make the best of what you can get.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

Thanks tara and XPlus. Definitely, the food quality in the gulf countries is going down dramatically. We have in the UAE one of the highest rates of diabetes in the entire world. Almost 100% of the people and doctors here still blame sugar for that. They encourage "brown" and "whole" wheat. But everywhere you go, you find vegetable oil. Even home-made food is cooked with vegetable oil. Crazy! I guess I am slightly lucky because my family owns a farm and we have fresh readily camel milk six months of the year. We have a lot of cow milk brands and the milk tastes good even though they have added vitamins. The only fresh fruits that can grow organically in my country are maybe only dates, which I quite enjoy. But we have really problems with the freshness and ripeness of other fruits because of our climate and soil quality. But I'll try to make the best of what I've got and hopefully this way of eating helps me in the long run.

pboy

yea its really silly how health 'professionals' recommend whole grains and brown rice and stuff, attributing the problem with refined grains to 'lacking vitamins and minerals'. The specific lacking vitamins and minerals are actually not found in the whole grain either, but instead you get a dose of antinutrients and GI irritants, especially in the case of wheat. You'd probably get diabetes quicker with whole grains than you would refined grains or sugar because youd still be lacking potassium, but you would have higher parathyroid, and estrogen therefore, which would inhibit respiration. Better would be to suggest always making sure to add non sweet fruit or carrots or potatoes or something at the same time you eat the white rice, or white flour...even tomato sauce. I guess tomatoes and potatoes have potential toxins but its not the same as a whole grain . Whole grains do have more niacin and b5 and b1, but they likely aren't very bioavailable and its not worth the damage they come with...just simply the act of eating whole grains is non pleasurable, its like every bite is fighting back or feels rough, to me at least. Diabetes is kind of complex and theres not actually like a defined line...theres just a gradiant of glucose tolerance and i guess at some point they label it diabetes...it has 2 angles to it, one being adequate minerals and vitamins and things, and the other angle the lack of things that trigger stress signals and therefore block respiration (both dietary and probably also environment/lifestyle, but much more so dietary) I've for a long time been on the search for food that I could actually deem as 'human food' like it would be easy to eat just how animals eat food and don't have to process it that much, but it turns out theres kind of no such thing. Like everything comes with its problems, or rather, everything needs to be processed or balanced in some way. I suppose you could just take in everything without caring, just like in their whole form, and it would relive some stress of desiring perfection but you might also (probably would) get a lot of side effects

At this point I have no suggestions for you what to eat lol, I'm actually figuring that out myself! And the obvious stuff I'm sure you already know about

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

Oh thanks pboy for your comment. I just saw it :eek:
I agree with everything you said :D

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

:lol: Amazoniac
My grandfather, when he saw me doing the Perfect Health diet with a lot of rice and fatty fish and no milk, told me this: I have been doing exactly the opposite of that all my life and I want you to have a look at me; I am strong, I remember old and new stories and names, and my teeth are strong. He told me our family people are not built to consume those food. He, sarcastically, said, "this food is for Americans. You studying there does not make you an American." :lol: oh grandpa!

His lifestyle/diet is very simple...

1- 2 to 3 bowls of camel milk daily
2- lots of dates with strong arabic coffee, similar to the picture below

3- khobiz ma labn (traditional food--bread soaked in sugared milk. He has strong stomach, he can get away with gluten :roll:)
4- lamb once a week and it's the whole animal cooked like a feast supper where family members meet and socialize
5- sleeps after night prayer around 9 pm and wakes up before sunrise.. and then goes to the farm from sunrise to around 10 am. Comes home and takes a nap until 1-2 pm.
6- talks a lot to his children and grandchildren and has a strong fulfilling social life
7- from 4-5 pm until sunset, he sets outside in our backyard playing cards with his friends and talking about the news :geek:

His skin is perfect! really! I would be super super lucky if I reach his age let alone have his skin at that age.. I am guessing his ca/ph ratio is very very high.. And probably he gets a lot of red light from the sun.. I can't single out one factor. I wish him a healthy happy long life :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 1.13.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 1.13.57 AM.png
    291.1 KB · Views: 668
OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

Ahah I meant bowls.. English is not my first language. I'll fix it right away :lol:

Amazoniac

milk_lover said:
post 98603 :lol: Amazoniac
My grandfather, when he saw me doing the Perfect Health diet with a lot of rice and fatty fish and no milk, told me this: I have been doing exactly the opposite of that all my life and I want you to have a look at me; I am strong, I remember old and new stories and names, and my teeth are strong. He told me our family people are not built to consume those food. He, sarcastically, said, "this food is for Americans. You studying there does not make you an American." :lol: oh grandpa!

His lifestyle/diet is very simple...

3- khobiz ma labn (traditional food--bread soaked in sugared milk. He has strong stomach, he can get away with gluten :roll:)
4- lamb once a week and it's the whole animal cooked like a feast supper where family members meet and socialize
5- sleeps after night prayer around 9 pm and wakes up before sunrise.. and then goes to the farm from sunrise to around 10 am. Comes home and takes a nap until 1-2 pm.
6- talks a lot to his children and grandchildren and has a strong fulfilling social life
7- from 4-5 pm until sunset, he sets outside in our backyard playing cards with his friends and talking about the news :geek:

His skin is perfect! really! I would be super super lucky if I reach his age let alone have his skin at that age.. I am guessing his ca/ph ratio is very very high.. And probably he gets a lot of red light from the sun.. I can't single out one factor. I wish him a healthy happy long life :)

Interesting! A very nutrient-dense diet: everything is either brown or white..

ps.: even the coffee jar at the UAE looks fancy.. Haha!

Last edited by a moderator:

bluewren

Great posts, Milk_lover. Very interesting reading about your Grandfather, as well as your own journey.
We sure do some crazy things in the hope of "getting healthy" or "losing weight" or whatever it is.
All the best!

jyb

milk_lover said:

That's surprisingly healthy. I usually associated Middle Eastern countries with heavy vegetable oil consumption. Is it common to consume dairy and uncommon to use vegetable oils for cooking?

SQu

I enjoy hearing what healthy old people eat. Your grandpa's diet also sounds like no processed food. Cooking from scratch. I bet even the bread is homemade or at least, not a very processed ingredient list. Soy free bread can be found here but the standard loaves all have it. I don't know when they sneaked it in but unless you consciously avoid it, you're now eating soy without knowing it. And in chocolate too, same story.
My father just turned 87 with mind and body still strong and energetic. He loves sugar, has 4 teaspoons in his tea, and has a big appetite. He has a good physique and never an ounce of fat on him.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

sueq said:
I bet even the bread is homemade or at least, not a very processed ingredient list.
Yes we prepare the bread from scratch at home in the backyard under ground similar to the video below, but we buy the wheat from the grocery, not sure if soy is added or not. I'll check when I go home. After the bread is cooked, we shake it to remove dust without washing it, break it into small pieces, put it in a bowl, and fill it with warm milk and sugar/honey and start mixing them together until the bread becomes soft and easy to chew.

sueq said:
My father just turned 87 with mind and body still strong and energetic. He loves sugar, has 4 teaspoons in his tea, and has a big appetite. He has a good physique and never an ounce of fat on him.
Wow :hattip wish him and you the best in life

jyb said:
Is it common to consume dairy and uncommon to use vegetable oils for cooking?
oh trust me we're very far from perfect health-wise.. Our country is plagued with high rates of diabetes.. While we like dairy as a nation, we still use vegetable oils heavily in our homes and restaurants.. Only the old folks kept their food habits.. minimal processed fried food, lots of milk and dates and coffee, moderate wheat, etc., The animal cholesterol causing heart attacks hit us hard unfortunately, and people are too lazy to challenge those ideas.

bluewren said:
Great posts, Milk_lover. Very interesting reading about your Grandfather, as well as your own journey. We sure do some crazy things in the hope of "getting healthy" or "losing weight" or whatever it is.
All the best!

Amazoniac said:
Interesting! A very nutrient-dense diet: everything is either brown or white..

ps.: even the coffee jar at the UAE looks fancy.. Haha!

Haha... since you brought the brown white thing, I'd like to say my grandpa enjoys playing chess also :lol:

veevee

Hey Milk Lover

interesting story about your weight loss journey and feeling low. Mine is very similar, And been Peating for 6 years now.
But when living in Dubai U.A.E and found it very hard to stick to the Peat style way of eating. To many PUFA in all foods when eating out! even if you order Kebabs they add oil to grill it. You have to request to chef to use butter and even that has veg oil

But I managed to get in some Gelatin (by Great Lakes) which I ordered online and I would visit the Organic Cafe to buy all my grass-fed meat and diary :)

But I found living there the more I spend by the beach the more I was feeling happy as i really increased my body tempertures and activated my Thyroid.

by the way I drank camel milk once and just Spit it out :mrgreen: I will stick to cows milk :) lol

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

veevee said:
post 110258 by the way I drank camel milk once and just Spit it out I will stick to cows milk lol
:lol: yeah it is not as tasty as cow's milk. I personally don't mind the taste but I still prefer cow's milk.
veevee said:
post 110258 But when living in Dubai U.A.E and found it very hard to stick to the Peat style way of eating. To many PUFA in all foods when eating out! even if you order Kebabs they add oil to grill it. You have to request to chef to use butter and even that has veg oil
So true and saddening really :( I learned about that the hard way after months of eating kabab from the same restaurant that marinates the meat chops with oil so as not stick on the grill. Now anytime we go out and ask waiters not to put oil they act very weirdly as if I am asking them to bring me bird's milk. Having "an allergy" in those situations always help :D
veevee said:
post 110258 I would visit the Organic Cafe to buy all my grass-fed meat and diary
Yeah there are few though and expensive. I strive for sustainability/simplicity/practicality in my approach.
veevee said:
post 110258 But I found living there the more I spend by the beach the more I was feeling happy as i really increased my body tempertures and activated my Thyroid.
Yeah the sun is a gift. It's probably the best thing health-wise in this country :D

Cara

Hello Everybody!

I'd like to introduce myself. I am a 25-years male from Abu Dhabi, the UAE. Before I went to the USA to study in 2007, I had a good strong and bulky body because of our traditional food (lots of camel milk, ghee, dates, feasts on entire animals, etc.). I did my bachelor and master in the USA for a total of six years and a half. I gained a lot of weight. Like a lot. And it was mostly fat. I was eating the American diet (lots of pizza, lean meat etc). Two years ago, I educated myself about food and health in a hope to lose weight. I went to a sub on reddit called keto, which is basically a low carb high fat diet forum. I cut white sugars and fruits almost completely for over a year. I cut milk, which I truly enjoy because it makes me feel happy and energetic and makes me perform better in school. I replaced it with a lot of water bottles and black coffee with no sugar. I didn't eat rice nor bread. I was eating a lot of nuts, salmon, tuna, muscle meats, eggs, and butter. My carb intake was below 50 g.

Surely, the weight gradually started to melt from my body, maybe 2 lbs every week. I felt it's working weight-wise. But there were some alarms. I couldn't perform well in my last semester of graduate school. My teachers were shocked when I told them I am not going to do a thesis, only take classes. They know I am smart academically, but my body failed me. I was under the impression this is for a greater good; my body was just in a transition phase until it reaches optimal health. Another alarm was that my joyful funny personality disappeared. I was not fun to be around like I used to. I hardly laughed. I hardly socialized except with online people on a forum. My hair was falling down, my skin became filled with bumps not smooth like it used to be. I had insomnia. My stomach was aching and hurting. I had tension headaches all the time. My body was basically not in peace internally and externally. But the weight was coming off. I kept telling myself, "it's working just be patient until my body adopts being a fat-burner." Whatever that means! I finished my masters. I returned home.

My family and mother thought I was sick. I looked sick and miserable and thin. My mother told me this is not normal. I stayed in my room when they ate "carb food." My mother made me one day warm milk with honey and saffron, the drink I've always loved growing up, but I refused to drink :cry: It was weird to refuse to eat/drink what the body's craving. Five months later, something inside telling me I had to dramatically change my eating habits. I read the Perfect Health Diet by Paul Jaminet and I started to introduce carbs in my life. I still was not feeling my best. He argues against milk so blindly I followed his advice :slap I kept losing weight mainly because I didn't eat enough calories due to the copious amounts of water I consumed, but I had less of a puffy face (thyroid gland kicking in?). The problem with his white rice advice especially in my country is that the freaking restaurants everywhere soak the rice with vegetable oil! deadly food preparation now I think of it. All this craziness lasted until I had a wonderful talk with my 75 years old grandfather.

I will talk in another time about what my grandfather told me and how that led me eventually to Ray Peat and his ideas. Long story short, I was enlightened by my grandfather's simple ideas and Ray Peat's scientific interpretation of the body interaction with the environment through food, light, etc,.
Wow! Your grandfather and Ray Peat are just a grand blessing. I ca imagine how hard it must’ve been to reject your mother’s food. How are you years later?

Belsazar

Amazing story.

Could you tell us about dates which are available in UAE compared to the ones in the us (or western world)? I love dates but I am not sure how their quality is compared to the "real" stuff. Do you always eat them dried or also ground to make sweets? (Maybe you could share some recipes?)

Did your grandfather (or you) participate in fasting?

Was this really his whole diet? Ray mentioned a few times how such simplistic diets often lead to longevity.
What about other starches or honey?

Nemo

Hello Everybody!

I'd like to introduce myself. I am a 25-years male from Abu Dhabi, the UAE. Before I went to the USA to study in 2007, I had a good strong and bulky body because of our traditional food (lots of camel milk, ghee, dates, feasts on entire animals, etc.)...

My family and mother thought I was sick. I looked sick and miserable and thin. My mother told me this is not normal. I stayed in my room when they ate "carb food." My mother made me one day warm milk with honey and saffron, the drink I've always loved growing up, but I refused to drink :cry: ... All this craziness lasted until I had a wonderful talk with my 75 years old grandfather.

Thank God for your family, milk lover. Looking forward to the rest of your story.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals