New 'round here

aliciahere

Hey everybody! New around here and I would like to incorporate some RP ideas into my diet. I'm 34 year old female with two breastfed children, 124 lbs. Was diagnosed hypothyroid when I was in my early 20's. I also had Reynaulds in my fingers since I was a teenager.

I was looking to loose a bit of weight after my two children and came upon Paleo (not strictly adhering to it, but roughly following it). I lost the weight I wanted to, and felt pretty good. I started donating blood but eventually my haemoglobin dropped below acceptable levels. Went on iron supplementation. A few months later came up with markers that I was celiac. Went on a gluten challenge. This messed me up so much. Some digestion issues, but mainly mental - depression, fatigue, forgetfulness, it was awful. Confirmed celiac through bloodwork. Went back on paleo. Took five months to feel better. I have had a biopsies, which confirmed healing celiac. Thyroid was confirmed to be Hashimotos.

I was concerned because I wasn't getting enough calcium and I discovered the Ray Peat ideas while searching for ideas on that.

Here are the meds/supplements I am on now:

Morning:

(4) - Vit D3 - 1000IU/25mcg
(1) - Iron Bisglycinate 28 mg
(1) - Vit C - 1000 mg

Lunch Time:

(1) - Selenium (from Selenomethlonine) - 200 meg

At Bed Time:

(1) - Adaptogen (by Restorative Formulations)
(1) - Vit C - 1000 mg
(1) - Synthroid - 150 mcg

I'm thinking I'll drop the Iron and Vit C in the morning as my feritin levels are back to "normal". Here is what I'm thinking for changes to diet:

Breakfast:

1 - Egg cooked in coconut oil
1 - Orange juice (10 oz)
1/2 - slice of thick bacon recooked in coconut oil
1/2 - apple
Salt (to taste)

Snack:

Coffee (12 oz) with the following mixed in:
Gelatin (1 T)
Cocoa (1 T)
Honey (1 T)
Cinnamon (sprinkle)
Salt (pinch)

Lunch:

Milk (8 oz)
Potato cooked with oil (either coconut or olive)
Fruit (mellon or apple)
Zuchinni - fried in coconut oil
Sometimes meat (leftover) or fish (rotating shrimps, oysters, salmon, or sardines), or sometimes cheese
Salt

Snack:

Same coffee as above, or Tumeric Tea with coconut oil and gelatin.

Later Snack:

Carrot salad

Supper:

Milk (8 oz)
Veggies (broccoli, mushrooms, onions, carrots, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc...)
Meat (focusing on beef and pork, some chicken, some liver)
Potatoes or rice
Fruit
Salt to taste

Late Snack:

Homemade ice cream

Am I missing any key ideas? I know that the portions of milk consumed is rather low, but this is where I want to start.

Issues I'm still experiencing:

My thyroid levels are constant, TSH is always below 1.3. When it was last tested it was at 0.83. I still have some issues due to thyroid, extremities are still almost always cold though I haven't gotten Reynaulds since my celiac diagnosis. Libedo is low. Nail ridges are pronounced and I have dark bags under my eyes. I also never, EVER, get a fever when I'm sick. I have never gotten a fever in all of my adult life. I am working with a naturopath to work on all of this, and she recommended the Adaptogen to try to get my immune system working better (she was quite concerned over the no fever thing).

Thank you for taking the time to look at this. :hattip Sorry it's so long. :D

OP
A

aliciahere

Oh - and another thing, We were drinking 3.5% milk. I'm not looking at going low fat with our diet, however, I am very concered about the extra estrogen (and other hormones) in milk and how they will affect my growing son and daughter. I've tried to find the Ray Peat opinion on this, but I never seem to find if/when he addresses it. We are in Canada. Should I switch to 1% as I've heard that there are less extra hormones due to less fat? You hear a lot of articles stating how milk is concerning in that it delays puberty in males and speeds up puberty in females, so I am a bit concerned about it.

Mittir

aliciahere said:
post 102865 Oh - and another thing, We were drinking 3.5% milk. I'm not looking at going low fat with our diet, however, I am very concered about the extra estrogen (and other hormones) in milk and how they will affect my growing son and daughter. I've tried to find the Ray Peat opinion on this, but I never seem to find if/when he addresses it. We are in Canada. Should I switch to 1% as I've heard that there are less extra hormones due to less fat? You hear a lot of articles stating how milk is concerning in that it delays puberty in males and speeds up puberty in females, so I am a bit concerned about it.

There are old threads on estrogen in milk.
viewtopic.php?t=2715
RP thinks lot of these milk studies are poorly done and in addition to
estrogen there are thyroid and progesterone in milk. It is the balance of estrogen with thyroid and progesterone
that matters. RP mentioned that if one is worried about estrogen in milk then drinking
low fat milk will solve that problem. RP generally recommends low fat milk for protein and calcium
without causing excessive caloric intake

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

:welcome aliciahere

I used to get Reynaud's fingers too, many years ago. I think improvement has come from warmer house, warmer clothes, and eating more.
A couple of thought on your plan:

Seems good to drop the iron supp if your iron levels are within range again.

Coffee tends to improve/increase sugar burning, and running low on sugar tends to raise stress hormones. Many people here would need more sugar with the morning coffee to avoid stress.

Peat usually favours non-oily fish, eg cod over oily ones like salmon - have you seen his article on fish oil? http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/fishoil.shtml

Peat usually favours ruminant meat (beef, lamb) over pork and chicken, but if it's rotated so you don't eat them very often it's probably no big deal.

Peat usually recommends at least 1200mg calcium (20000 may be better), and more calcium than phosphorus. If you aren't getting this from milk, he suggests clean eggshell powder (or next best oystershell).

I'm not up with the effects of the herbs in the 'Adaptogen' formula, but I see it has omega 3 powder, which Peat would not recommend. Can tell how much is in it.

OP
A

aliciahere

Thanx for the warm welcome everybody!

I feel bad that I haven't replied to your questions. I posted, and then I disappeared. I have been lurking, and reading the forums daily, just haven't gotten to an actual computer to reply to anything. My bad :ninja

OK, so I tried that diet for about five days and just about died. I was so bloated, and gassy, I could barely move. I believe I added cow dairy to quickly and while for the first couple of days it was fine, it had a cumulative effect. I ended up switching to goat milk as there is a good brand here (primarily fed alfalfa, non-homoginized, no added vitamins or anything else, the only downside is that it's full fat :? ). I gradually increased it and I appear to be handling it fine.

Here is my diet now:

Breakfast

OJ (10 oz)
Egg (1 fried in coconut oil)
Rice (1/4 cup)
Fruit (1/3 cup)

Snack

Coffee (With 1.5 Tbsp honey or sugar, a tiny bit of coffee cream, and 1/2 cup of goat milk)

I tend to get hungry around ever hour in the morning, so around 9am i'll have a glass of goat milk, then around 10am I'll have a glass of OJ, around 11am, I'll make myself another coffee like above, this I'll sip on and continue to sip through lunch.

Lunch

Homemade potato french fries with coconut oil
1-2 oz of meat (sometimes oysters, sometimes liver, sometimes leftovers)
Fruit (1 cup)
Goat Milk (1 cup)

Snack

Coffee like above
OJ (1 cup)
Carrot Salad (eaten alone)
Coffee like above but with gelatin

Supper

Rice or Potatoes
2-3 oz of meat (Pork, Beef, sometimes chicken, sometimes liver, sometimes shrimps)
Vegies (sometimes fresh, sometimes cooked broccoli)
Fruit
OJ (1 cup)

Snack before bed:

Goat Milk (1 cup) sugared

I'm pretty darn close on all cronometer stats. Vit E and K tend to be low. I have started taking a vit E supplement three times a week (AOR Total E - I know not perfect - it's the best one I can get in my area). I also take an asprin every other day. I appear to be handling them well, though I do have a gigantic bruise now... After more research, I think I'm going to try to the Estroban once these are used up.

Things that have changed:

Some things have improved for sure, libedo is a little bit better. I don't seem to be quite as cold in my extremities, though it is tough to tell. Other times, if I catch a chill, it still takes hours to warm up. I recorded my first ever temp over 37 yesterday - I think this is slowly getting better. One thing I did notice, was that my breasts were extremely tender and getting very lumpy. I was very worried that I shot up my estrogen and was about to stop drinking milk again, when I realized that my breasts were GROWING (went from an extremely deflated AA to a solid A))! That's why they were so sore, I was right at 21 days in my cycle, and after that the tenderness went down. Yay!

I don't appear to have any new nail ridges, but bags under my eyes are still there, no change on them. I just had more bloodwork done - don't quite have the results back, but I will post when I do - even just for my own record.

tara said:
post 102987 I'm not up with the effects of the herbs in the 'Adaptogen' formula, but I see it has omega 3 powder, which Peat would not recommend. Can tell how much is in it.

Here is the ingredient list for the Adaptogen:

Ashwagandha, root (175mg)
Eleuthero, root (150mg)
Astragalus, root (110mg)
Ashwagandha root 1.5% (100mg)
Codonopsis root (85mg)
Hypromellose

Mine doesn't apear to have the Omega 3 in it.

Oh - and I switched the family to 1% milk, no issues with it :) They get a good amount of health fat from other sources.

Last edited by a moderator: