Quitting a job you hate

TheHound

I hate my part time job. I guess I'm afraid to quit because I don't know what would happen next and I'm also only 20 and in university. theres so much stuff I want to learn and stuff I want to do but I feel like this job drains me and stops me from doing these things. this is me just ranting but can anybody offer any advice?

Nicholas

quitting is useful only if it's physically unhealthy or if it is emotionally stressful due to consistent and overt behavior of others at the place of employment. determine why you hate the job and if it is because of personal issues or because of the job itself. quitting because you found another job that you like better is always fine, too. high school and college years employment always seems to be not ideal in that the jobs are not usually sustainable. by the end of college studies i was so excited about being able to finally get into doing what i truly enjoyed.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I don't really have any particular advice other than if your job causes you to feel trapped, powerless or physically ill you should probably consider exploring your options for different employment. If being at your job results in feelings of learned helplessness then that will negatively impact your health and well-being regardless of anything else you are doing in my experience

tara

:yeahthat

Take all circumstances into account:
Are you likely to be able to find a part-time job that suits you better? Can you try before you make a decision about this one?
How big a problem would it be not to have a job/income for now?
Can you improve the current job in ways that would make you happier there?
Does your current job help you towards any of your important goals? Could you find one that moves you in the direction of those goals?
Make a plan to improve your situation, including changing your work situation, even if it is not accomplished overnight.

answersfound

Quit the job if it truly is the job. I know sometimes when I want to quit something I may also be at war with myself. Remember, happiness should not be contingent on a particular situation. You may prefer to work a different job, but it sounds like there may be something deeper going on here.

supercoolguy

Well your def not alone! Just know that what your doing there now wont last. Its going to end! Seeing past a stack of dirty dishes (or whatever) and enjoying the people you work with can make the best of it for the moment, and by all means...GTF out of there! :freedom

OP
TheHound

TheHound

thanks for the advice everyone. it's a liquor store in a fairly bad neighbourhood. you just get sick of seeing the same miserable alcoholics everyday multiple times a day, or getting threatened frequently by drunks when you turn them away or young guys that don't have their ID on them when you ask to see it. my coworkers are awesome so there's a plus there

montmorency

TheHound said:
post 98545 my coworkers are awesome so there's a plus there

That's interesting. It's probably worthwhile going through this fairly bad experience now, while you are young and resilient, and as you are also at university, you have a better future to look forward to.

If your co-workers also sucked, then I'd probably say get out, but as it is, it sounds like you have some good support there.
If you stick with it, you will probably come out of it stronger, and look back on it in the future with some pride.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amazoniac

http://www.thenietzschechannel.com/work ... e/bge5.htm

"189

The industrious races find leisure very hard to endure: it was a masterpiece of English instinct to make Sunday so extremely holy and boring that the English unconsciously long again for their week- and working-days—as a kind of cleverly devised and cleverly intercalated fast, such as is also to be seen very frequently in the ancient world (although, as one might expect in the case of southern peoples, not precisely in regard to work—). There have to be fasts of many kinds; and wherever powerful drives and habits prevail legislators have to see to it that there are intercalary days on which such a drive is put in chains and learns to hunger again. Seen from a higher viewpoint, entire generations and ages, if they are infected with some moral fanaticism or other, appear to be such intercalated periods of constraint and fasting, during which a drive learns to stoop and submit, but also to purify and intensify itself; certain philosophical sects (for example the Stoa in the midst of the Hellenistic culture, with its air grown rank and overcharged with aphrodisiac vapors) likewise permit of a similar interpretation.— This also provides a hint towards the elucidation of that paradox why it was precisely during Europe's Christian period and only under the impress of Christian value judgments that the sexual drive sublimated itself into love (amour-passion [passionate love])."

This book is really, really impressive..

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals