How To Process Your Eggshells For Calcium

montmorency

I used to soak my eggshell powder in lemon juice, forming the citrate. Then I read that this might not be such a good idea, and it didn't taste all that great, and was also a bit of a faff.

So now I just swill it (the basic powder) down with cool tea. I don't always get it all down, and I don't know how much I absorb.

I either use the shells from boiled egg, or boil the shells specifically. I suppose the oven might be better, but we hardly ever use the oven and it's not worth putting it on just for that. My grandad used to keep chickens and he'd bake the shells, crunch them up and feed them back to the chickens. But they had an old-fashioned "kitchen range" where the oven was almost always on.

I like to keep things simple in general, and don't really trust supplements, on the whole.

Parsifal

I chew one shell from times to times (quite sweet) but some people say that it can be bad for the GI tract. I guess you can process it in a coffee grinder so that you get a powder, no need to buy a supplement :).

mbarvian

I usually just eat one hard-boiled egg with the shell on. I've done stranger things in the name of health.

Ismena.D

In a thread "Meat n Peat " Mittir said "Calcium acetate is better at binding phosphorus than carbonate."

Daimyo

I tried preparing calcium supplement from egg shells. It seems like too much work. I bough a bag of "pasture chalk" (it's limestone) in my local agriculture store. I guess if it's good for cows, it must be good for me too. 25kg bag cost about 4$.

Daimyo

@Giraffe

Life is not that good, I used most of it for my garden...

The texture is a bit "gritty" (as if you eaten sand), but it's there when I need it!

montmorency

Since my last posting, I've discovered you can easily buy empty gelatin capsules online, so I put my home-made powdered eggshells in those. If stomach acid can dissolve powdered eggshell, it should be able to dissolve the capsule. And I figure the little bit of gelatin is a small but useful top-up of my amino acids.

Not noticed any problems. My only concern is that I may not have kept my vitamin K levels consistently high enough. I'm trying to work on that.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
One medium-sized eggshell yields approximately 1 teaspoon eggshell powder for me.

Amazoniac

narouz said:
post 98444 pboy@releasethekundalinikraken!
pboy keeps levitating while Johnny is just walking..

Blossom said:
post 98448 One medium-sized eggshell yields approximately 1 teaspoon eggshell powder for me.
Thanks, Blossom. Do you rely on it as a major source of calcium? And have you noticed anything odd that you had to adjust?

Last edited by a moderator:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Amazoniac said:
post 98476
narouz said:
post 98444 pboy@releasethekundalinikraken!
pboy keeps levitating while Johnny is just walking..

Blossom said:
post 98448 One medium-sized eggshell yields approximately 1 teaspoon eggshell powder for me.
Thanks, Blossom. Do you rely on it as a major source of calcium? And have you noticed anything odd that you had to adjust?
No. I get most of my calcium from milk and cheese. I primarily use it on days that I get less calcium than normal from my food. I've never noticed anything odd from using the eggshell powder personally but someone mentioned to me that she felt constipated after starting it. When I do supplement with eggshell calcium I take it with plenty of food.

narouz

Attachments

• zoom away pboy!.jpg
    zoom away pboy!.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 286

mt_dreams

Is there someone willing to slow-cook ungrinded eggshells to know if they eventually disintegrate? Because if so, it can be very interesting to prepare a broth with them.
interesting. maybe i'll try it now that I'm back in the cold. I have made slow cooked things using 40+ hardness and the calcium seems to have been pulled out of the water into chalk form. It might be that there needs to be a defusing process to pull the egg shell into the water almost like the carbon method in weller water.

Amazoniac

interesting. maybe i'll try it now that I'm back in the cold. I have made slow cooked things using 40+ hardness and the calcium seems to have been pulled out of the water into chalk form. It might be that there needs to be a defusing process to pull the egg shell into the water almost like the carbon method in weller water.
It's better to cook them alone, and if it works, start to use them grinded and only after some cooking adding the other ingredients to avoid owacooking the rest. Let us know how it goes!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals