Cancer "paradox": Testosterone Treats Prostate Cancer

haidut

Forum Supporter
Not really a surprise to anybody following Peat, but maybe we can finally start seeing some Peat-friendly treatments for cancer such as drugs for increasing rather than decreasing testosterone in elderly men.

http://news.sciencemag.org/health/2015/ ... ate-tumors

"...Testosterone may be the key to manliness, but it also stokes the growth of prostate cancer cells. So injections of the hormone might sound like the last thing a man with this type of cancer needs. But a new study shows that the shots can slow the progression of untreatable prostate tumors in some patients."

"...He and colleagues performed CT scans on 10 patients to check the size of their metastases, or tumor colonies spawned by the original growth. In four patients, the metastases had shrunk, and in one patient they had disappeared, the team reports online today in Science Translational Medicine. All five men were in the group that showed PSA declines."

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks for all your research on prostate cancer. I've been passing it along to my father who was diagnosed several years ago and has been doing "watchful waiting".

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Blossom said:
Thanks for all your research on prostate cancer. I've been passing it along to my father who was diagnosed several years ago and has been doing "watchful waiting".

I think Peat recommends high dose vitamin K2 for the condition. Given that K2 (MK-4) is antiestrogenic and increases testosterone production, it makes perfect sense in the context of this latest study.

It is interesting when they say that gamma-tocopherol lowers the risk and alpha-tocopherol increases it.

johns74

I think gamma tocopherol and K2 help because they both oppose estrogen, it seems pretty obvious.

johns74 said:
I think gamma tocopherol and K2 help because they both oppose estrogen, it seems pretty obvious.

Then what's wrong with alpha-tocopherol?

johns74

Such_Saturation said:

As I mentioned a gazillion times, high doses can create a gamma tocopherol deficiency. Vitamin deficiencies create all sorts of problems.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
johns74 said:

And here is a study specifically for vitamin K2 effects on prostate cancer:

Vitamin k2, a naturally occurring menaquinone, exerts therapeutic effects on both hormone-dependent and hormone-independent prostate cancer cells. - PubMed - NCBI

Human equivalent dosage would be about ~1.5mg/kg a day. That dose seems high, but is in line with the human studies in Japan showing optimal effects on osteoporosis at 1mg/kg human dosage, and a rat study showing increased testosterone at a human dosage of 2mg/kg. I know Peat recommends 15mg-45mg but I think this is due to the fact that the human studies done so far that he has seen only used 45mg per day as the maximum dosage. The actual studies themselves (at least some of the Japanese ones) state that the optimal dosage is at least 1mg/kg a day, and that the reason they used 45mg a day is that their subjects had a weight in the range 45kg-55kg (they were elderly women with bone problems).
So, for people who can find affordable source of K2 (MK-4) the dosage for degenerative diseases should probably be 1mg/kg of body weight rather than setting an upper limit of 45mg per person.
If someone has discussed the vitamin K2 dosages with Peat please share what he said.
Just my 2c.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
haidut said:
Blossom said:

I think Peat recommends high dose vitamin K2 for the condition. Given that K2 (MK-4) is antiestrogenic and increases testosterone production, it makes perfect sense in the context of this latest study.
Thank you.

johns74 said:
Such_Saturation said:

As I mentioned a gazillion times, high doses can create a gamma tocopherol deficiency. Vitamin deficiencies create all sorts of problems.

They also create a vitamin K deficiency, which must be considered.

janus

Such_Saturation said:
It is interesting when they say that gamma-tocopherol lowers the risk and alpha-tocopherol increases it.

I wonder if some effect on methylation is at play there, what with gamma-tocopherol having one less methyl group than alpha-tocopherol.

narouz

I wanted to bump this thread,
just to see if anyone has any new thoughts
about the role of testosterone in cancer,
specifically prostate cancer.

My dad had prostate cancer some years ago and had the radioactive seed implant thing.
He was in remission for like 10 or more years,
then a couple of years ago his PSA crossed the threshold
and they began treating him with injections every 3 months of Lupron Depot-3 Month (Leuprolide Acetate)

I've never trusted the treatment (of course)
but have felt I can't really jump in to try to stop it
else I might be arrested for trying to kill my dad :) , but...

As I understand it, Lupron knocks down testosterone but also estrogen.
If that is true, maybe there's a good angle.
I doubt it, but....

from Wiki on Lupron:
Mode of action
Leuprolide acts as an agonist at pituitary GnRH receptors. By interrupting the normal pulsatile stimulation of, and thus desensitizing, the GnRH receptors, it indirectly downregulates the secretion of gonadotropins luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), leading to hypogonadism and thus a dramatic reduction in estradiol and testosterone levels in both sexes.

I've made many changes in his diet,
and have him taking all the Peaty vitamins you might think of, like big VitK doses.
Also some DHEA and lots of pregnenolone and some progesterone.
Lot's of of other stuff like Vit A and the B vits and Vit E and some of the quinones
including high doses of methylene blue,
but...to keep the focus on the question of testosterone suppression....

I guess I've been trying to help him past the testosterone suppression
by giving progesterone, pregnenolone, DHEA.
Don't know if the drug allows those to have an effect though.

His diet and supplements have been very Peaty since I moved in with him.
Considering pulling him off the Lupron.

narouz said:

My dad had prostate cancer some years ago and had the radioactive seed implant thing.
and they began treating him with injections every 3 months of Lupron Depot-3 Month (Leuprolide Acetate)

I doubt it, but....

from Wiki on Lupron:
Mode of action
Leuprolide acts as an agonist at pituitary GnRH receptors. By interrupting the normal pulsatile stimulation of, and thus desensitizing, the GnRH receptors, it indirectly downregulates the secretion of gonadotropins luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), leading to hypogonadism and thus a dramatic reduction in estradiol and testosterone levels in both sexes.

and have him taking all the Peaty vitamins you might think of, like big VitK doses.
Lot's of of other stuff like Vit A and the B vits and Vit E and some of the quinones

Your post looks like a spider crawled over the page after dipping its feet in ink; the text size is too small.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Another case study for testosterone in prostate cancer

Загрузка статьи

Thanks for this! The case study also says PARP inhibition can be another viable treatment for such advanced prostate cancers and niacinamide is the most potent PARP inhibitor available OTC.

marciomega

I doubt it, but....

from Wiki on Lupron:
Mode of action

@narouz How has your father´s case evolved after these years?

vulture

I doubt it, but....

from Wiki on Lupron:
Mode of action

Careful with DHEA as it can lead to estrogen