Coffee For Deep Sleep

Nicholas

For the past 4 days i have consumed coffee ad libitum. previously i would only drink one cup in the morning. now it's like 3 cups a day - and much stronger, too. ever since this change i have had the most deep sleeps i have had in a long time....so deep that it made me realize i was not sleeping well previously. it feels actually stressful during the day - by the 3rd cup i start to feel a little hyperthyroid....but it's interesting how my sleep has become so deep and easy. i fall asleep and the next thing i know, i'm awake....and my head feels like it's been emptied, glowing.

I remember Danny Roddy recommending coffee before bed, but does anyone have any thoughts or understanding as to why this type of response?

EDIT: remembered that the other change during this time has been eating much higher protein from eggs and cottage cheese as well as eating less fruit...and the fruit i eat being higher fiber - less than ripened pears.

What-a-Riot

All speculation, but it could be something about increased hormonal synthesis from dietary cholesterol, better blood sugar stability from more dietary fat slowing digestion, or sleep inducing effects from arachidonic acid from the eggs. But honestly, in a state of caffeine stress tolerance, I can't consistently correlate my daily caffeine intake with sleep quality one way or the other

Spokey

Strong, creamy, sugary coffee can make me want to take a quality nap.

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

What-a-Riot said:
post 111368 All speculation, but it could be something about increased hormonal synthesis from dietary cholesterol, better blood sugar stability from more dietary fat slowing digestion, or sleep inducing effects from arachidonic acid from the eggs. But honestly, in a state of caffeine stress tolerance, I can't consistently correlate my daily caffeine intake with sleep quality one way or the other

interesting about the fat. i've wondered about that, too. i went a couple months on pretty low fat and many things seemed to improve consistently, primarily with blood sugar regulation (still the case). will hold out on the higher fat theory for now (as its also produced floating stools). But i do wonder about the higher fat decreasing inflammation to a degree.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

Spokey said:
post 111373 Strong, creamy, sugary coffee can make me want to take a quality nap.

yeah, i've been doing turkish-type coffee lately brewed in milk. surprisingly, i'm not having a cortisol feeling or sense that i'm holding water (uncomfortable feeling in skin). perhaps its the prep. method and higher magnesium.

Spokey

Perhaps, "Caffeine synergizes with progesterone, and increases its concentration in blood and tissues." ~RP

Dayman

the increased protein would be helping liver function along with the caffeine.

Dayman

the increased protein would be helping liver function along with the caffeine.

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

Peateat said:
post 111489 the increased protein would be helping liver function along with the caffeine.

fyi - protein went from about 120g/day to 180g/day.

tara

Possibly increased T4 -> T3 conversion supporting deeper rest?

docall18

I have been sleeping better since i upped my coffee/caffeine dose also. In fact i have been feeling MUCH better overall. My temperatures are up, thyroid alone could never do that no matter what dose.

I feel that a lot of my problems are due to liver issues - ie fatty liver. The caffeine has been improving glycogen stores which would reduce hypoglycemia and stress hormones.
Previously I would wake up during the night due to adrenaline and in the morning I would bounce out of bed wired. Having a healthy liver will stop this allowing better, deeper sleep. I can also now sleep in if i want.

livrepensador

Im thinking about make some experiment based on Mittir post here: viewtopic.php?f=181&t=2018&start=40

"I only eat a small amount of rice in lunch and i can not have good night sleep
without fruit juice (Apple Juice) and Sugared milk coffee ( 1 cup milk 2 TBS sugar
2 tsp of ground coffee) .
Strach/glucose is not efficient at refiling liver glycogen
storage, which we need to keep stress hormones down through out the night."

Im going to:
-Dinner: Cheese and OJ
-and drink coffee and milk and sugar before bed.

Something i noticed, im not 100% sure, but it is my bet: If i eat potatos for dinner i get insomnia. Last 4 days that s*** happens.
Time to cut potatoes and add coffee for sleep.
This sounds really iconoclast......hehehhehee

milk_lover

Anyone have any reports of drinking coffee up until they go to bed?
I like to drink Pepsi before going to bed those days and I sleep hours deeply. The sugar and caffeine in Pepsi are helping I think. Also, I have success drinking a cup of full-fat milk with a teaspoon of instant coffee (davidoff fine aroma) before sleep. Whenever I do that with low-fat milk, the taste is completely off.

DaveFoster

I like to drink Pepsi before going to bed those days and I sleep hours deeply. The sugar and caffeine in Pepsi are helping I think. Also, I have success drinking a cup of full-fat milk with a teaspoon of instant coffee (davidoff fine aroma) before sleep. Whenever I do that with low-fat milk, the taste is completely off.
That's very helpful; I'm going to try drinking coffee up to bedtime.

Waynish

I don't agree with the umbrella ideology that everyone does (or should) react the same way to coffee. There are plenty of people who have have good livers in every normal scenario, but who have significant side effects to coffee (me included). Maybe it is immunological, but I've not seen evidence yet that coherently explains my (and many other's) observations.

InChristAlone

I don't agree with the umbrella ideology that everyone does (or should) react the same way to coffee. There are plenty of people who have have good livers in every normal scenario, but who have significant side effects to coffee (me included). Maybe it is immunological, but I've not seen evidence yet that coherently explains my (and many other's) observations.
I agree. Caffeine is a plants natural insecticide. The liver is forced to keep regenerating in the face of a toxin. I don't think many people would want to see it that way.

I prefer cypro as my chemical that forces improvement. I also can sleep more deeply on it.

Caffeine's affect on brain chemicals is why I can't go back to it. I get too manic.

Sucrates

I've had a couple of times where I had an urge for coffee late in the day and afterward had great sleep, this was 3-4 hours before bed though. Another couple of times I tried it my sleep was much worse than normal. I'm someone who was super sensitive to coffee, now I usually get about 800mg caffeine/day from coffee, though my cutoff is about 6hrs before sleep, usually.

jyb

I also concluded it is possible to be healthy but get overall negative effects from a substance that most other people are fine with. Anything, not just coffee. It is puzzling and it took me years to realise, but I don't find coffee useful overall and don't drink it everyday.

Waynish

I also concluded it is possible to be healthy but get overall negative effects from a substance that most other people are fine with. Anything, not just coffee. It is puzzling and it took me years to realise, but I don't find coffee useful overall and don't drink it everyday.

Indeed, it causes tightness in my throat, ringing in my ears, and usually makes me extremities colder (regardless of how pure the source or how much sucrose I consume it with). I am hoping that our Peat communities figures out a more straight forward approach to immunology this year :)
The contrapositive also seems true: many people with very poor health are fine with substances that bother healthier people...