Why Is There So Much Soluble Fibre In Human Breast Milk?

narouz

Such_Saturation said:
So what is your personal poop goodness metric, then.

I was hoping you'd ask, Such.

Well, let's see.
1. they (the poops) don't burn my butthole...aren't acidy feeling
2. they are not in the form of diarrhea
3. on the other hand, they are not too hard or dry...they're just right! :D
4. they kinda stay together and come out like ice cream at a Tastee Freeze
or like PlayDough from a squeeze dispenser; in other words they have a fairly even consistency,
so that they kinda just squeeze out smoothly and break off naturally as gravity exerts its influence
5. they don't smell very foul; not to say people outside the restroom bang on the door and ask when dinner is served... :D
6. ideally, I don't have to wipe a whole lot to feel clean, or return to re-wipe 15 minutes later.

I'm sure I can go into greater granularity,
but...I'm gonna have to go sit on the pot for a while
and allow my muse to inspire me.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
That's the code for the new Idi smiley.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
DXiHR3K.jpg

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Its on page 4 of the smileys.

Is narouz the kind of guy who still uses Outlook Express and who signs his own facebook comments? :cool:

narouz

Such_Saturation said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97609/ Is narouz the kind of guy who still uses Outlook Express and who signs his own facebook comments? :cool:

I've never had a smart phone and have never texted.
I recently had a hell of a time trying to buy a gizmo I could take to work with me
and listen to Peat interviews on.
I didn't know what such a gizmo would be called.
Finally I got someone to tell me to look for an "MP3 Player."

Yes, I'm a dinosaur.
I like to think of myself as a Pterodactyl.
A fiber-eating Pterodactyl with Tastee Freeze-smooth poops.

Last edited by a moderator:
narouz said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97611/
Such_Saturation said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97609/ Is narouz the kind of guy who still uses Outlook Express and who signs his own facebook comments? :cool:

I've never had a smart phone and have never texted.
I recently had a hell of a time trying to buy a gizmo I could take to work with me
and listen to Peat interviews on.
I didn't know what such a gizmo would be called.
Finally I got someone to tell me to look for an "MP3 Player."

Yes, I'm a dinosaur.
I like to think of myself as a Pterodactyl.
A fiber-eating Pterodactyl with Tastee Freeze-smooth poops.

All I see is a greater potential to be surprised. You lucky guy :cool:

narouz

I think I mentioned UBiome in this thread earlier.
Some interesting food for thought in the latest e-newsletter they sent...

"Could mood disorders have a bacterial origin?
Those microbes of yours perform some truly extraordinary feats.

Right now, for example, several pounds of bacteria in your gut are helping you digest food and process vitamins. Thanks guys.

But that's just the tip of the iceberg.

You see, many researchers suggest that alongside plenty of other aspects of health, your microbiome has a profound effect on the way your mind works.

Low levels of certain species of bacteria in your gut could be associated with depression or anxiety. There could even be a connection between the microbiome and autism.

Maybe we shouldn't be quite so surprised about the gut-brain connection though.

Consider neurons, for example. Your brain has around 100 billion of them, but I wonder if you knew that your alimentary canal, that 27-meter tube winding its way from your mouth to your rear end (yup, it's a long way down), has another 100 million or so neurons embedded in its walls.

That’s right, the idea of a ‘gut feeling’ contains more than a grain of truth.

And those neurotransmitters, the chemicals which can play a big part in emotion: 50% of your dopamine and 95% of your serotonin isn't in your brain. It's in your gut.

Back to bacteria, though. Let me tell you very briefly about three quite remarkable studies.

In 2011 a team of Irish and Canadian scientists found that mice which were dosed with Lactobacillus rhamnosus (a bacterium found in probiotic yogurt) and then dropped into a tank of water from which there was no escape, took longer to give up in despair than a control group that didn't have the bacteria.

In fact the L. rhamnosus mice behaved in the same chilled-out, relaxed way that mice given antidepressants like Zoloft and Prozac did.

Because they tend to respond to stimuli in similar ways to humans, mice are frequently used in laboratory experiments. When you learn something from mice there’s a pretty good chance you’ll find the same thing in humans.

However, another study - at UCLA - involved 25 human subjects.

For four weeks, twelve people ate a cup of commercially-available probiotic yogurt twice a day, while the remainder were given a non-probiotic dairy product.

Before and after the four weeks, all were given fMRI brain scans during which they were shown images of human faces expressing emotions such as anger or fear.

The brain scans showed the people in the control group were more affected by these emotional triggers than the probiotic yogurt eaters, who by comparison were calmer and less stressed.

Returning to mice, a third study - at the California Institute of Technology - focused on a microbe called Bacteroides fragilis, an absence of which is often observed in the guts of people with autism.

By transplanting B. fragilis from human donors into the guts of mice with symptoms similar to autism, they found the rodents exhibited less anxiety-like behavior, interacted more with other mice, and also behaved less repetitively.

Radical stuff.

This mood-microbiome connection is pretty new and revolutionary, and it's an area that seems ripe for self-experimentation:
1) Measure and track your mood for a while
2) Have your microbiome tested
3) Introduce new species of bacteria (by eating them)
4) Explore how this has affected your mood via your tracking, and your microbiome via a second test.

Such a promising area. You see, in any given year almost 10% of U.S. adults experience mood disorders. Many are prescribed medication.

What if bacteria could really offer an alternative to pharmaceuticals?

Have a great week!

Alexandra :)
--
Alexandra Carmichael
Director of Product, Community, and Growth
uBiome"

Great news! (If you have Danone stock)

jyb

narouz said:
Returning to mice, a third study - at the California Institute of Technology - focused on a microbe called Bacteroides fragilis, an absence of which is often observed in the guts of people with autism.

By transplanting B. fragilis from human donors into the guts of mice with symptoms similar to autism, they found the rodents exhibited less anxiety-like behavior, interacted more with other mice, and also behaved less repetitively.

One still has to wonder about the cause and effects like Peat does, but statements such as these, if correct, really tends to suggest that once a gut biome has become too defective then the problem can't be resolved easily - B. fragilis won't appear out of nowhere once it goes completely missing.

narouz

I would think
that Peat goes along with the general notion
of the "gut + brain connection."
That is,
the idea that the health or dis-ease of the gut
is connected with things that have generally been associated with the brain--
mood, depression, bipolar disorder, Parkinsons, etc etc.

So I don't think Peat disputes a connection.
He just advocates different tactics to achieve good gut health.
Different, I mean, from the popular supplementation of probiotics and fiber, for one thing.

To me,
the tool of microbiome analysis being explored by uBiome and other similar companies/organizations
is not nuthin'.
Over time,
as we learn more about the intricacies of the microbiome,
we may well answer questions about its workings and its relation to health.
And when we find an answer to a question,
we are changed.

I don't think Peat would be against answering questions. :)

Sorry, it's too ontological a question to be answered through poop sequencing.

narouz

jyb said:
post 98757
narouz said:

One still has to wonder about the cause and effects like Peat does, but statements such as these, if correct, really tends to suggest that once a gut biome has become too defective then the problem can't be resolved easily - B. fragilis won't appear out of nowhere once it goes completely missing.

Well, I don't think we should dismiss out of hand some of the obvious possibilities:
1. introducing certain strains deemed desirable
2. using foods to selectively feed/cultivate certain desirable strains

It may well turn out that the "terrain" is in control.
We just don't know though, do we?

narouz

Such_Saturation said:
post 98763 Sorry, it's too ontological a question to be answered through poop sequencing.

"The domain where excrement vanishes after we flush the toilet is effectively one of the metaphors for the horrifyingly sublime Beyond of the primordial, pre-ontological Chaos into which things disappear. Although we rationally know where excrement goes, the imaginary mystery nonetheless persists--***t remains an excess which does not match our daily reality."
from Schelling Now, by Jason M. Wirth

narouz said:
post 98788
Such_Saturation said:
post 98763 Sorry, it's too ontological a question to be answered through poop sequencing.

"The domain where excrement vanishes after we flush the toilet is effectively one of the metaphors for the horrifyingly sublime Beyond of the primordial, pre-ontological Chaos into which things disappear. Although we rationally know where excrement goes, the imaginary mystery nonetheless persists--***t remains an excess which does not match our daily reality."
from Schelling Now, by Jason M. Wirth

Exactly, we need plumbers not these ***t librarians.

narouz

Please forgive this technical interruption, but
I again found myself unsubscribed from this thread yesterday and had to resubscribe.
Today, same thing, had to resubscribe.
Not happening to anyone else?
(And not directing any bad vibes toward administation--just noting the glitch fwiw.)

Sorry.
We were talking poop and ontology I believe.... :)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
narouz said:
post 98790 (And not directing any bad vibes toward administation--just noting the glitch fwiw.)
You are the only one reporting this so it must be a local problem.

Last edited: