Low Dose Niacinamide Prevents NAFLD / Cirrhosis

haidut

Forum Supporter
The study used an animal model that is genetically engineered to develop liver fibrosis (cirrhosis) . The human equivalent dose of niacinamide was only 3mg/kg and study duration was 6 weeks. Niacinamide not only fully prevented liver fibrosis but also lowered all markers of liver damage to the levels of normal controls. Finally, niacinamide prevented liver fat accumulation which is another way of saying that low dose niacinamide may be an effective treatment for NAFLD.
So, the next time your doctor tells you that niacinamide is bad for your liver (as Wikipedia claims) present the doctor with this study.

Fatty liver and fibrosis in glycine N-methyltransferase knockout mice is prevented by nicotinamide

"...Summing up, these results indicate that deletion of GNMT is associated with an increased expression of genes inducing steatosis (CD36, ADFP, PPARγ, CYP4A10, CYP4A14, UCP2) and also with a reduction in the expression of PPARα, a major activator of fatty acid oxidation, and that these changes are prevented by NAM administration. Moreover, these findings indicate that the hepatic reduction in total transmethylation flux caused by deletion of GNMT and the concomitant accumulation of SAMe can be compensated by NNMT if exogenous NAM is provided. Additionally, our results indicate that NAM administration to GNMT-KO mice prevents global DNA hypermethylation as well as the abnormal expression of numerous genes involved in fatty acid metabolism, oxidative stress, fibrosis, apoptosis and proliferation observed in untreated animals. More significant, NAM treatment not only normalized the expression of all these genes and proteins in GNMT-KO mice, but also prevented the development of fatty liver and fibrosis. The mechanism by which GNMT deletion leads to fibrosis is not known. Possibly, increased lipid accumulation and apoptosis in GNMT-KO hepatocytes may activate hepatic stellate cells (37,38), the central mediators of liver fibrogenesis. Accordingly, NAM may attenuate fibrogenesis by preventing hepatic fat accumulation and apoptosis via lowering SAMe content. At present, however, other alternatives as a direct effect of NAM on stellate cell activation cannot be excluded."

Last edited:

Makrosky

haidut said:
So, the next time your doctor tells you that niacinamide is bad for your liver (as Wikipedia claims) present the doctor with this study.

What ? Niacinamide bad for the liver ? That catched my eye and I quickly checked the Wikipedia. It cites this article : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11126400 to support that claim. I was also surprised by the claim of another user in the forum that says niacinamide can create insulin resistance.

The article discusses briefly some therapeutic benefits and it doesn't neglect niacinamide possitive effects. However, the real scope of the article is just an evaluation of safety use, so here are the conclusions :

Regarding insulin :
Effects on glucose kinetics and insulin secretion

Nicotinamide has no effect in vitro using human islets
[60]. Glucose kinetics or basal or stimulated insulin
concentrations are unaffected in healthy subjects
[61, 62]. In contrast nicotinic acid can induce insulin
resistance and glucose intolerance [40]. In patients
with recently diagnosed diabetes a meta-analysis of
10 randomised controlled trials found that basal C-
peptide concentrations were higher in patients re-
ceiving nicotinamide than in those receiving placebo
12 months from diagnosis [63]. Published studies of
nicotinamide treatment in people at increased risk of
developing diabetes have produced varying results.
In one small study insulin sensitivity decreased after
two weeks of nicotinamide, although basal and stimu-
lated insulin secretion were unchanged [64], whereas
DENIS found a decreased first-phase insulin re-
sponse in nicotinamide-treated people at 2 years [20].

Anyone versed on insulin/diabetic issues dare to comment that ?

Regarding overall safety :
Conclusions

Nicotinamide has been used at pharmacological dos-
es in many people over many years with a low inci-
dence of side effects and toxicity. Safety data have
not however been collected in a systematic manner
and many older reports failed to distinguish between
nicotinamide, nicotinic acid and combined vitamin
regimens containing nicotinamide. More recent stud-
ies have used purer preparations of nicotinamide and
toxic effects have been mild and infrequent. In most
situations nicotinamide has been used up to a maxi-
mum dose of 3.5 g/day but higher doses (6 g/day)
used in combination with radiotherapy and carbogen
breathing do result in nausea [69]. We have noted a
single report of severe but reversible hepatotoxicity
in a patient taking 9 g/day of nicotinamide [34]. He-
patic toxicity has occurred in patients taking sus-
tained release formulations of nicotinic acid in dosag-
es of 3 g/day or more [72] although more recently a
long-term study of extended release nicotinic acid
has found that it is safe when given in dosages of 3 g/
day or less [73]. Nicotinic acid combined in a wax ma-
trix vehicle for sustained release has also been shown
to be safe with an improved side effect profile [5].
This wax matrix method of producing sustained re-
lease tablets is similar to the sustained release tinamide preparation used in ENDIT.
Nicotinamide has no teratogenic or oncogenic ef-
fects when given alone but has been noted to potenti-
ate the oncogenicity of streptozotocin, although at
doses much higher than those used for human studies.
It affects growth in rodents but there is no evidence
that it has adverse effects on growth in children. The
previous literature provides considerable evidence
that nicotinamide is a safe therapy to use when given
at adult doses of no more than 3 g/day. After careful
review of available data the ENDIT study was started
in 1994 [74]. Nicotinamide or placebo have been giv-
en in double blind fashion at doses of up to 3 g/day
and are well tolerated in the few side effects. the re-
sults of ENDIT will be reported in 2003. Should nico-
tinamide prove efficacious in diabetes prevention, ex-
perience to date suggests that the ratio of risk to
benefit of long-term treatment would be highly fa-
vourable. Long-term surveillance of the study cohort
will however be undertaken whatever the outcome
of the trial. Until then we continue to advocate cau-
tion regarding the unsupervised use of nicotinamide
obtained ªover the counterº. Higher doses of nicotin-
amide should still be considered as having toxic po-
tential.

So you can draw your own conclusions from that. Looking at the data, the conclusion should be obvious : Ray Peat's recommended dose of 100mg niacinamide daily is extremely unlikely to cause any of the problems commented on the article. Even 1g/day doses should be quite safe, although I would not stay at that dose for a long time just in case.

3mg/kg doses as the article posted by haidut suggests should be very safe as well.

I've uploaded the full article here (http://we.tl/u8Eeg5epn0) if it's deleted after a while, just pm me.

raypeatclips

@haidut In your long famous rant on the "RP says glucose helps T4 to T3, then why fructose?" thread you mention a couple of times that aspirin and nicinamide fatten the liver. Do you no longer think this is true, or only in high doses?

TubZy

Is there enough niacinimide in energin to produce these positive effects?

TubZy

"The human equivalent dose of niacinamide was only 3mg/kg." There is 100mg niacinamide per serving of energin.

So if I was 200 ibs which translates to about 90kg, 3*90= 270, it would translate to 270mg of niacinimide daily? Did I do that right lol?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Might niacinimide be able to treat NAFLD in a medium to high dose?

I think it can treat it in any dose. It leans out the liver by blocking/reducing lipolysis.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Do you still think aspirin fattens the liver and was the problem with the aspirin niacinamide combo regarding the liver?

It will lower systemic lipolysis, so it will slow down weight loss if that is your goal. Usually, peripheral adiposity and liver fat are inversely correlated. Inhibiting excessive lipolysis leans out the liver but keeps the fat pads on your belly for longer.

raypeatclips

It will lower systemic lipolysis, so it will slow down weight loss if that is your goal. Usually, peripheral adiposity and liver fat are inversely correlated. Inhibiting excessive lipolysis leans out the liver but keeps the fat pads on your belly for longer.

Interesting, thank you for the reply. It is amazing how much niacinamide is able to do. Weight loss is one of my goals but getting my liver healthy will probably solve many of my issues, so is a priority.

Orion

Any thoughts on why small amounts of B3 (50mg), would cause me insomnia, more frequent low blood sugar night wakings?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals