Theanine Stops And Reverses The Stress Reaction (cortisol, Noradrenalin, Dopamine)

Ben

A low dosage of theanine completely reversed these changes, while having virtually no effect on the healthy control group.
I think that theanine, especially considering its expensive price, should only be taken when under some sort of abnormally high stress as assistance, rather than on a regular basis. Otherwise, simple and cheap sucrose is a much better option to reduce and reverse the stress reaction. Tastes better too! ;) But I will buy some Theanine and post my results. What is the best source, do you guys think?

yoshiesque

does anyone here buy from iherb? its damn cheap there.

go here http://www.iherb.com?rcode=HAS153

and use coupon code HAS153

ive never seen a place sell cheaper supplements. especially good if ur in australia as the postage is cheap.

anyway gonna order theanine and try this out. BUT, didnt RP say certain amino acids are bad? i thought too much of all the amino acids are bad apart from glycine.

kineticz

If you are heavily reliant on stress hormones for energy, I would avoid theanine.

When I take it, it makes anxiety debilitating, extremely lethargic.

I took it before bed once, I thought my body was shutting down. Not nice when hypothyroid.

Also, IMO dopamine and noradrenaline are not to be suppressed, they are the neurotransmitter of motivation, and you don't want to completely suppress your ACTH (noradrenaline stimulates pregnenolone synthesis via the adrenal cortex).

I am using just a sprinkle of it before bed and the sleep is much more powerful. In the morning I wake up more rested and I feel more dopamine. None of this happened with larger doses.

ravster02

Such_Saturation said:
I am using just a sprinkle of it before bed and the sleep is much more powerful. In the morning I wake up more rested and I feel more dopamine. None of this happened with larger doses.

Sounds good.

What dose is your sprinkle?

Gl;itch.e

Such_Saturation said:
Yeah interested because I seem to be the type that requires massive doses of anything to see any effect. The first time I tried Theanine I took a 200mg cap and felt very calm and relaxed but a bit foggy thought wise. I have since tried half a cap a couple of times and felt nothing. I tried another full 200mg cap yesterday and felt a little bit of "fuzzy calmness" but nothing as pronounced as the first time I tried it.

I don't know, I was trying 500mg and 1000mg and there was only a little sedation. The sprinkle is 50 to 100mg and I put it in chamomille tea.

Spokey

Theanine is one of the best things I've ever tried for dealing with stress.

Such_Saturation said:
I've eaten sulbutiamine and aniracetam powders without a flinch, but theanine is the worst thing I've tasted. It tries really hard to have this extreme savory taste, but it's also very chemical and rotten. Then it sticks to your mouth and overruns all other food.

I think you're talking about Thiamine (vitamin B1) and not l-Theanine.

l-Theanine has a slight sweet taste and is very palatable.

cantstoppeating said:
Such_Saturation said:
I've eaten sulbutiamine and aniracetam powders without a flinch, but theanine is the worst thing I've tasted. It tries really hard to have this extreme savory taste, but it's also very chemical and rotten. Then it sticks to your mouth and overruns all other food.

To each his own :lol:

Such_Saturation said:
cantstoppeating said:
Such_Saturation said:

To each his own :lol:

You probably got a very bad (or impure) batch of l-Theanine or most likely mistaken it for Thiamine.

I have my 500g bag of l-Theanine from PureBulk sitting right here on my desk. I assure you, it's slightly sweet and nothing like what you mention.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Agree, l-theanine has a slightly sweet taste to it, very mild, easy to take. Thiamine is a totally different story, eeek.

It must also be dulling those researchers' sense of smell if indeed their head is so far up their **** :shock:

Tarmander

Hi, first post here, long time lurker, and wanted to chime in. I tried theanine awhile back for sleep. It really worked great. However in the morning I was hit with quite the dose of depression and apathy. Just wanted to give people a heads up. I wasn't into peat back then, so things may have changed, but it's something to be aware of.

NathanK

nullredvector said:
post 103016 Looks like the a nine promotes NO. I too have had the relaxed/sedated and foggy reaction to a 100-200mg dose the first time taking it. I wonder if this was NO mediated and if theaninr is worth taking.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22819553

This is odd esp since theanine has antihistamine qualities, which would oppose NO. FWIW, this study is also in vitro

Last edited by a moderator:

lexis

I think high dopamine(which Theanine is said to promote) and low thyroid wont be an ideal situation to be in.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals