Zyprexa And Serotonin?

nostalgic

I'm very scared of trying any meds that affects the serotonin levels, but I'm not sure if this one does. Anyone knows? I took a pill last night and got a very stiff neck along with some pain.

Last edited:

DaveFoster

Olanazapine's a metabolic poison and has been linked to tardive dyskinesia (repetitive movements) despite what proponents claim.

Drug-emergent metabolic syndrome in patients with schizophrenia receiving atypical (second-generation) antipsychotics

"Second-generation antipsychotics cause significantly more changes in the metabolic parameters, increasing the chances of developing metabolic syndrome and associated disorders like diabetes mellitus type-II and cerebrovascular accidents. Olanzapine is the antipsychotic drug that has the maximum potential to cause metabolic syndrome."

Olanzapine induced tardive dystonia

"Advent of atypical antipsychotics was thought to be a major advancement in the psychopharmacology for schizophrenia. It was thought that these drugs would have low propensity to induce extrapyramidal symptoms including tardive movements. Olanzapine is a thienobenzodiazepine derivative, second generation (atypical) antipsychotic agent. Compared to typical antipsychotics, it has a greater affinity for serotonin 5-HT2A than dopamine D2 receptors, with preferential action at mesolimbic than nigrostriatal dopaminergic pathways. However, only few reports of olanzapine induced tardive dystonia (TD) are available in the literature. We wish to report another case of TD, in a male patient with schizophrenia, which developed after 15 months of treatment with olanzapine."

I'm very scared of trying any meds that affects the serotonin levels, but I'm not sure if this one does. Anyone knows? I took a pill last night and got a very stiff neck along with some pain.

OP
N

nostalgic

@Blossom No problem.

@nostalgic Could you give a list of your symptoms and why you were prescribed olanzapine?

I've been feeling depressed lately so I wanted to try something.

My symptoms are a very stiff neck along with some stabbing pain. Those are the only symptoms so far, but they're really annoying.

DaveFoster

I've been feeling depressed lately so I wanted to try something.

My symptoms are a very stiff neck along with some stabbing pain. Those are the only symptoms so far, but they're really annoying.
Your psychiatrist must have diagnosed you as bipolar. They usually don't prescribe olanzapine as a first-line treatment for depression.

Estrogen can cause both neck stiffness and pain. If you're having side effects you should contact your psychiatrist ASAP.

T3 Treats Bipolar Disorder

OP
N

nostalgic

Your psychiatrist must have diagnosed you as bipolar. They usually don't prescribe olanzapine as a first-line treatment for depression.

Estrogen can cause both neck stiffness and pain. If you're having side effects you should contact your psychiatrist ASAP.

T3 Treats Bipolar Disorder
I talked to my doctor and she thinks it's anxiety causing the stiff neck and pain but I'm not so sure about that, since I don't feel anxious, but maybe it could be subconsciously. I want to rule out the other possible factors first though.

I've been on several SSRI and SNRI before and they didn't help that much so I think that's why I was prescribed Zyprexa. Also I'm very scared to try anything that increases serotonin since I think I experienced serotonin syndrome 8 months ago.

I'll read up on estrogen depletion, thanks.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
@nostalgic , I was prescribed Symbyax about 5 years ago, a combination drug with 6mg zyprexa/olanzepine and 25mg paxil/fluoxetine. GP thought I might be bipolar II, since I had had a manic and very irritable response in the past to several SSRIs. Well the zyprexa kept the paxil under control and my mood was somewhat improved, but I quit after less than a year for two reasons: quick weight gain of 15 pounds (zyprexa is FAMOUS for weight gain), and a general feeling that I lost touch with my emotions and didn't care about the ideas that were important to me previously. In fact, I found I couldn't "reflect" on my own conceptual and philosophical ideas of how the world works that have always been important to me - I even missed my "angst".

So, I have to give zyprexa a personal thumbs-down.

magnesiumania

Ive been diagnosed with schizophrenia and on fifth day taking Zyprexa. It definitly helps me but nothing i would take to enhance your mental state or something like that. Emergency only. This post may not be a major contribution to the forum but a little attempt to keep the thread alive. I hate all pharma unatural treatments but think i did the right choice taking it for a time.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Ive been diagnosed with schizophrenia and on fifth day taking Zyprexa. It definitly helps me but nothing i would take to enhance your mental state or something like that. Emergency only. This post may not be a major contribution to the forum but a little attempt to keep the thread alive. I hate all pharma unatural treatments but think i did the right choice taking it for a time.
I will say that my family member with schizophrenia has been helped considerably with zyprexa. It is the only medicine that has really stabilized her, and allowed her to SLOWLY begin to function and interact with people. It has taken a while to achieve this improvement and she is still taking the medication. For now, stability (eg ability to stay out of the hospital) and ability to enjoy family is the most important thing.

rei

I suggest you try seroquel, it is probably the most antiserotonergic antipsychotic with limited dopaminergic damage. Unlike all other antipsychotics many people actually get addicted to it because it actually helps them and eases their situation. Less is more also here, a good dose is 12.5mg which is half of the smallest tablet. Even a quarter has clear effect and works wonders for sleep aid. But taking normal prescription doses also seroquel will destroy your brain in the long run just like other antipsychotics.

magnesiumania

What do you mean damage to dopamine. Can you be more specific. Im aware thatvit block the D2 receptor but does it mean dopaminergic signaling dimimish over time?

magnesiumania

What do you mean damage to dopamine? I know zyprexa bind to the D2 receptor. Do you think dopaminergic signaling diminish over time?

rei

Blocking dopamine leads to tardive dyskinesia which is a form of irreversible brain damage. The benefit you see from antipsychotics is from their serotonin blocking effect.

I find the seroquel name curious because it was named in a time before the antiserotonergic effect of antipsychotics was recognized, yet it is sero(tonin)quel(l). Which means to stop serotonin using force.

Last edited:

magnesiumania

Im not sure that block a dopamine receptor is always bad either. Im somewhat familiar Ray Peats ideas but i tend to disagree on many of them. I used lysine to modulate the specific serotonin receptor that target but it dont help much. In my case i think Zyprexa is the only option although id rather use seroquel if it was prescribed to me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals