Zinc Supplements/suggestions Please

Nick21

Thanks to everyone for your insights. I ordered some zinc carnosine and ionic zinc so I'll experiment with both and see if that helps... the zinc gluconate always caused GI issues for me that's the reason I can't take it.
Do indeed update us. I seemed to do best on the optizinc (maybe the small amount of copper is the driver?), and I am interested in the carnosine.

Birdie

I wonder if zinc gluconate would be oxidative as well.

"Taking a supplement of a free metal (iron, zinc or copper) can interact with nutrients in your digestive system and oxidize them..." Ray Peat

This would be why he recommends these be gotten from food rather than a supplement. I'm thinking once a week would be a lot better than daily supplementation then. I mean if you aren't getting enough zinc and copper in food. Since he says somewhere that zinc gluconate is the best supplement, there is that if you choose to use a supplement. I haven't been able to find a good gluconate one though.

Oops, just re-read your post and see you don't tolerate the gluconate form.

Last edited:

TreasureVibe

"Taking a supplement of a free metal (iron, zinc or copper) can interact with nutrients in your digestive system and oxidize them..." Ray Peat

This would be why he recommends these be gotten from food rather than a supplement. I'm thinking once a week would be a lot better than daily supplementation then. I mean if you aren't getting enough zinc and copper in food. Since he says somewhere that zinc gluconate is the best supplement, there is that if you choose to use a supplement. I haven't been able to find a good gluconate one though.

Oops, just re-read your post and see you don't tolerate the gluconate form.
Gluconic acid is not amino acid, that is my point really, and question, since Ray Peat advices it but it goes against his own logic that non-amino acid bounded minerals can oxidize nutrients in your digestive system.

Birdie

Gluconic acid is not amino acid, that is my point really, and question, since Ray Peat advices it but it goes against his own logic that non-amino acid bounded minerals can oxidize nutrients in your digestive system.
I wasn't clear there. My comment was for the op who said he didn't tolerate the gluconate form.
Not sure why you're mentioning that gluconic acid is not an aa.

ddjd

Zinc gluconate from nutra bio. pure powder. a tub will last forever!!

Frankdee20

I have borderline tendencies and depression, I've noticed B6 helps but every time I take zinc supplements I get nauseated. The last time I took Zinc Picolinate(15mg on a full stomach) I had stomach pain and GI issues well into the next day.... does anyone know what may alleviate this?
I pretty sure I'm Zinc deficient and had copper toxicity in the past (due to vegetarianism and a copper IUD) I've increased my red meat intake to get more zinc via food but it's not helping with anything other than preventing anemia. (And I'm aware that adds more copper as well :/ )

I have acne as well. Any suggestions, experiences, or ideas on what brand/type of zinc to take would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!

I love B6, I’ve gone 200 mg today. Paired with 60 mg Pregnenalone and it’s very effective at reducing depression. I’ve stopped Lithium as it’s not great for unipolar depression

OP
bionicheart

bionicheart

thanks all, I've been taking zinc l-carnosine for about a week now and I can tolerate it much better than other zinc forms. No GI issues or nausea. I can even take it on an empty stomach with no problems! I did buy some ionic zinc and am taking about 5 drops with no problems.

OP
bionicheart

bionicheart

I love B6, I’ve gone 200 mg today. Paired with 60 mg Pregnenalone and it’s very effective at reducing depression. I’ve stopped Lithium as it’s not great for unipolar depression
I haven't been taking B6 the past week and have been noticeably more depressed, but am about to start again, do you pair it with any other B vitamins?
I took about 2.5mg of pregnenalone by itself once and became so aggressive/moody that day. I am female so maybe that's part of it, but I'm afraid to take it again, so I just am going to keep trying progesterone the second half of my cycle, it seems to be helping some.
I wanted to try lithium for longer, but the smallest piece of the orotate form made me air hungry and gave me hot flashes (even though I'm 28 and too young for that) so I figured it was messing with my thyroid too much.. it did give me a surreal calm after it passed though. So, I'm just trying to eat more salt, as I was on a salt-restricted diet, (and malnourished in general) about a year ago.

Teres

The first Zinc supplement I've tried long time ago was Zinc Gluconate. Each out of the five times I toke a single tablet, I got nauseaous. The rest of the nearly full bottle went into the trash bin, I remember. Out of all the Zinc supplements I've tried, nothing comes even close to Zinc Orotate. Nothing. Nothing matches it's absorbtion. Nothing matches it's quality - at least where I live, the only Zinc Orotate (which is not sold in every pharmacy) is a pharma-grade one. Nauseous feeling? Never.

OP
bionicheart

bionicheart

The first Zinc supplement I've tried long time ago was Zinc Gluconate. Each out of the five times I toke a single tablet, I got nauseaous. The rest of the nearly full bottle went into the trash bin, I remember. Out of all the Zinc supplements I've tried, nothing comes even close to Zinc Orotate. Nothing. Nothing matches it's absorbtion. Nothing matches it's quality - at least where I live, the only Zinc Orotate (which is not sold in every pharmacy) is a pharma-grade one. Nauseous feeling? Never.
where do you get it? i'm in the US.

Frankdee20

I haven't been taking B6 the past week and have been noticeably more depressed, but am about to start again, do you pair it with any other B vitamins?
I took about 2.5mg of pregnenalone by itself once and became so aggressive/moody that day. I am female so maybe that's part of it, but I'm afraid to take it again, so I just am going to keep trying progesterone the second half of my cycle, it seems to be helping some.
I wanted to try lithium for longer, but the smallest piece of the orotate form made me air hungry and gave me hot flashes (even though I'm 28 and too young for that) so I figured it was messing with my thyroid too much.. it did give me a surreal calm after it passed though. So, I'm just trying to eat more salt, as I was on a salt-restricted diet, (and malnourished in general) about a year ago.

Yes, I take B Complex Plus by Pure Encapsulations. When I do the isolated B6 however, I only pair it with Niacinamide. Pregnenalone used to not agree with me early on, but built acclimation toward it. I love it.

DawN

if supplementing, try copper more a.m., the zinc more p.m. -I remember have read this would benefit a healthy ciricadian rhythm.

baccheion

Have you ever looked into tests like NutrEval, a comprehensive hormone panel, a thyroid panel, genetic testing, etc?

Zinc glycinate (chelated/TRAACS) is probably less likely to cause stomach problems.

norseman

Where we want the extra/supplemental zinc? Thyroid? So do we want to swallow/eat it then..? Is that the best way..?