Zinc Supplements - Clarification On Ray's Comment

Agent207

tara said:
post 105928
Agent207 said:
What do you think about keeping oysters in the freezer and defrosting 2 everyday and adding them to dinner?
I've frozen oysters a few times. Most recently I used an ice cube tray to separate them, so it's easy to get out one or two. I'd love to eat 2 a day but can't afford it. So it's one or two now and then.

Well, one oyster contains around 7mg zinc which is probably equivalent to higher amount of most synthetic supplements, organic sources use to be better as for absorption. Getting another 7mg from the rest of the diet I guess it would be enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

supernature

Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2001 Jul;52(4):379-82.
Cadmium in zinc-containing mineral supplements.
Krone CA1, Wyse EJ, Ely JT.
Author information
Abstract
Seven zinc-containing dietary supplements were analyzed for zinc (Zn) and cadmium (Cd) by inductively coupled plasma/mass spectrometry (ICP/MS). Cadmium was detected in all samples; however, the amount of Cd per 15 mg Zn (the daily US Recommended Dietary Allowance) varied by over 37-fold (0.039 to 1.46 micrograms Cd/15 mg Zn). Supplements with Zn in the form of a gluconate consistently contained the lowest amounts of Cd. Because Cd is a non-essential potentially toxic element for humans, its concentration in nutritional supplements should be minimized and possibly regulated by government-established standards.

"The supplements appeared to fall into two categories: those with <0.06 and those with >0.8 mcg Cd / 15 mg Zn. The four supplements in the lower category were single mineral, Zn-only tablets comprised of the gluconate or citrate / amino acid chelate / picolinate forms of Zn. The three formulations within the higher Cd concentration category were multi-mineral products containing a variety of other minerals in addition to Zn ( which was in the form of a sulfate or amino acid chelate). The Zn used in these latter three high Cd multi-mineral supplements may have been of a lower grade or purity compared to the four single-element products.

It is unlikely that the additional Cd in Zn supplements would result in reaching the maximum tolerable daily intake ( TDI) of 55 mcg Cd /person / d suggested by the FDA. However, there are certain features of Cd absorption, distribution, accumulation, etc., that mandate minimizing any unnecessary intake of Cd.
The Cd that is absorbed by the human body is eliminated very slowly, with a biological halflife estimated to be up to 38 years (US FDA, 1993 ). It is deposited in the soft tissues, especially the kidney. When long-term chronic exposure results in the accumulation of a critical level of Cd ( 180– 220 mcg /g; USFDA, 1993 ), irreversible renal tubular damage and kidney dysfunction occur ( Kjellstrom et al., 1984 ). Moreover, non-occupational Cd exposure may exacerbate the ‘normal’ age-related decline in renal functions seen in humans ( Roels et al., 1981 ) .
The TDI for Cd is based on amounts that are predicted to produce renal dysfunction in 1% of the population after 45 years of exposure to that level ( Kjellstrom et al., 1984). Today’s climbing life expectancy and population growth means that an increasing number of people who begin Zn supplementation, especially in childhood, could be exposed for significantly longer than 45 years to the Cd in Zn supplements. The potential for reaching the critical renal level, and the resulting kidney dysfunction and costs of its treatment, are therefore increased. For these reasons, any extraneous Cd intake should be avoided. It appears that Zn supplements with quite low Cd contamination ( <0.06 mcg Cd / 15 mg Zn ) can be produced."

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

I'm still pondering whether to supplement or not. The issue of metal affinity/contamination is also a problem in foods, not just supplements. And to get enough zinc in a diet with a decent amount of calcium, you have to consume a fair amount of foods that probably tend to accumulate those metals; mineral-rich foods like oysters, red meat, chocolate, etc.
Right now I'm supplementing with zinc picolinate but I'll probably switch to gluconate soon..

Ras

Here is the COA for Pure Bulk's zinc gluconate, which tested for cadmium and other metals.

Attachments

• PBCOA. Zinc Gluconate. PTX15002 (Gen).pdf
    54.9 KB · Views: 338
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Thanks for that Ras, at least for lead they show the actual reading.
PureBulk is above average for sure. Just to compare, I have one analysis here that has the upper limits (in ppm) of less than 3, 5, 10; for arsenic, cadmium, lead, respectively. Mercury is not specified <such_forcedmetoremovehissmiley>
Same form of zinc and also from China..

Last edited:

docall18

Zinc gluconate is next to useless. Studies have shown its effect on zinc levels similar to placebo, and personally i found it to be the case.

5mg of zinc picolinate has a greater effect for me than 100mg of gluconate.

Zinc gluconate is next to useless. Studies have shown its effect on zinc levels similar to placebo, and personally i found it to be the case.

Many studies have been done with success involving gluconate. The exception are gluconate lozenges which do not reduce severity or duration of the common cold.

paymanz

It confuses me about gluconate form.but as ecstatichamster said there is many studies showing its about 50% absorbable.

But yes there is some studies showing bad availablity ,that is confusing.

I would keep supplementing gluconate as ray recs that type over others.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

I think that my experience is similar to yours, although not to that extreme; however I'm not sure.

x-ray peat

Here is the COA for Pure Bulk's zinc gluconate, which tested for cadmium and other metals.
I take this brand as well. My only concern is these COAs are often done by the Chinese manufacturers and are not done by an independent lab. That COA should have the name of the lab on it if it were independent. I highly doubt that the Chinese manufacturers would pull a product if the COA came back high in lead for example. I would love to see some real third party testing COAs of Bulk Supplements products because I use them a lot.

Ras

I take this brand as well. My only concern is these COAs are often done by the Chinese manufacturers and are not done by an independent lab. That COA should have the name of the lab on it if it were independent. I highly doubt that the Chinese manufacturers would pull a product if the COA came back high in lead for example. I would love to see some real third party testing COAs of Bulk Supplements products because I use them a lot.
Good point. But according to their About page, "We make sure all of our products are thoroughly tested by well-established third-party laboratories here in the United States before they are sold to you."

Ceretropic's MisterYouAreSoDumb has lamented as much in many comments. I would he had a lab, because he is militant about product quality. He has spoken well about PowderCity's quality, but they don't offer all the same powders as Pure Bulk. MYASD commented negatively here, and here, and here about Bulk Supplements.

x-ray peat

Good point. But according to their About page, "We make sure all of our products are thoroughly tested by well-established third-party laboratories here in the United States before they are sold to you.".
well that is somewhat reassuring but I would feel much better if they actually showed the original COA from the lab and not relabel it with their brand. It seems a bit shady.

Ras

well that is somewhat reassuring but I would feel much better if they actually showed the original COA from the lab and not relabel it with their brand. It seems a bit shady.
Agreed. But I wonder if it was done at the lab's request.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals