Zinc: Often Forgotten Mineral?

Hey guys!

I've basically written up most of the important research I could find on zinc a few weeks ago. I had not yet shared this article yet, but some people around here might be interested in this topic:

Zinc: Forgotten Mineral? Best Zinc Foods, Supplements, And Secrets.

If you're short on time, a summery with the most important findings is included at the beginning of the blog post.

Of course, let me know what you think. Criticism is also welcome, as I've changed recommendations before after great help from the Yoda of this forum: @Amazoniac

Frankdee20

Hey guys!

I've basically written up most of the important research I could find on zinc a few weeks ago. I had not yet shared this article yet, but some people around here might be interested in this topic:

Zinc: Forgotten Mineral? Best Zinc Foods, Supplements, And Secrets.

If you're short on time, a summery with the most important findings is included at the beginning of the blog post.

Of course, let me know what you think. Criticism is also welcome, as I've changed recommendations before after great help from the Yoda of this forum: @Amazoniac

It gets a bad rep here, due to it possibly oxidizing other minerals. I personally liked it, there’s no way I even came close to getting the RDA through food. It was a fantastic antidepressant when used with B6, due to 5ht1A activity, and possibly dopamine reuptake inhibition.

Amazoniac

Thank you for tagging me. But Yoda gone is.

I was thinking about scrolling down to 60-80% of the length of the text to quote a part and comment. Why? Because that's the optimal range that can give you the impression I made it through all the text. Quoting the conclusion can be obvious that I just pressed the End key and scrolled up a bit.

So..
Zinc levels can be fully restored within 1-3 weeks.
I'm not sure if this applies outside of depletion-repletion experiments, when there might be poor retention or increased use involved.

The mineral "selenium" may increase the absorption of zinc.[319; 320]
Unfortunately, this effect has not yet been tested in human beings. Many great zinc sources such as lamb, beef, and oysters, and eggs contain some selenium as well.
Absolutely. I suspect both should be presented at the same time.

I think it's easier to grasp when the content of foods is ranked based on serving (with respective weight shown). It must not take much of your time now that you have the values (if you haven't been exhausted already).

I'm still undecided about the safety of zinc picolinate.
Zinc Supplements - Clarification On Ray's Comment

Ananda Prasad is brutal. He is for zinc what Michael Holick is for vit D.

Your texts are massive but aren't tiring. I'm often impressed by the number of publications that you consult for your articulos. Admirable dedication. And I did read most of it.

Last edited:

Vinero

Zinc is awesome, the most potent supplement for increasing testosterone for me personally.
I have 30 mg zinc gluconate pills. I take one pill with a meal containing meat or fish, since those proteins increase zinc absorption. Usually white rice/potatoes + meat/fish.
Zinc is heavy on the stomach, nausea and vomiting are not unusual if taken on an empty stomach.
Calcium, dairy, phytates and fiber decrease zinc absorption.

Last edited:

Watson350

Doses over 25 mg can inhibit 5-AR activity acting like propecia with brain fog and other side effects

Frankdee20

Doses over 25 mg can inhibit 5-AR activity acting like propecia with brain fog and other side effects

Yeah, but how much one can absorb really depends. I’m sure it does though

Frankdee20

Zinc is awesome, the most potent supplement for increasing testosterone for me personally.
I have 30 mg zinc gluconate pills. I take one pill with a meal containing meat or fish, since those proteins increase zinc absorption. Usually white rice/potatoes + meat/fish.
Zinc is heavy on the stomach, nausea and vomiting are not unusual if taken on an empty stomach.
Calcium, dairy, phytates and fiber decrease zinc absorption.

No doubt, zinc is nice. The gluconate form seems to be less contaminated with cadmium.

I think too much zinc without copper from foods and Selenium or iodine could effect Thyroid.

I wonder if the androgenic effect is on par with boron subjectively.